Wikibase Community User Group
Wikibase Community User Group is a user group that seeks to support Wikibase independent of Wikidata. The mission of the user group is promote and encourage the develop of Wikibase. The mission is also to encourage like-minded developers and data analysts to improve existing and create new tools for Wikibase.
The overall objective are to provide an alternative space for people interested in Wikibase to see how people can use it, and encourage others to expand on these ideas to push the software further. This would be similar to what happened with Mediawiki, where outside developers and community developers used the software, and created a bunch of tools and extensions and apps. This increased the use of the software around the Internet, with these tools then assisting the Wikimedia community by bringing developers into it that would otherwise not have been there.
The objectives of the Wikibase Community User Group are:
- Provide technical documentation related to a project the participants are working on as it relates to Wikibase.
- Provide a list of resources for other members of the community to have easy access to inside the Wikimedia ecosystem when it comes to setting up their own Wikibase install, Wikibase Query Engine install, and other related pieces of software.
- Do new and interesting things using Wikibase that are different than many of the developers at the WMF and WM-DE are doing. Provide outside thinking of how the software can be used in ways that benefit a project the participants are working on and the wider community.
- Encourage the creation of a bigger developer community around Wikibase.
- Provide documentation on data normalization that can be used by less technically-minded data people who want a pre-packaged data analysis software tool like Wikibase and its query engine.
The overall objective would be to provide an alternative space for people interested in Wikibase to see how people can use it, and encourage others to expand on these ideas to push the software further. This would be similar to what happened with Mediawiki, where outside developers and community developers used the software, and created a bunch of tools and extensions and apps. This increased the use of the software around the Internet, with these tools then assisting the Wikimedia community by bringing developers into it that would otherwise not have been there.
:See also: Wikibase Community User Group/Activities list There are several general types of activities the group are engaging in. These include:
- Create technical documentation on how to use Wikibase.
- Update Wikibase Community User Group pages to include links to documentation regarding Wikibase, links to data normalization for data input into Wikibase and links to other documentation the group creates to make it easier for others to use Wikibase and its related software like the query engine.
- Make tools the group is working on more public and usable by the wider community.
- Chat with other developers and people using or wanting to use Wikibase on our Slack channel.
- Present at conferences.
- Attract like-minded developers to work on Wikibase.
Specific upcoming events that the group is working on trying to organize:
- Working with people in Wikimedia Australia to try to set up a presentation about WikiBase in Melbourne, Australia.
- Working to promote usage of Wikibase and the query engine with people in the Paralympic Movement ahead of the 2018 Winter Paralympics.
- Create and develop a tool to create content using a Wikibase install that can be used human imported to English or Farsi Wikipedia.
- Create and develop a tool to allow mobile usage for a Wikibase install for the 2018 Winter Paralympics.
- Monitor the Wikidata Facebook groups to find and identify like-minded developers with the goal of recruiting them to the project.
- Publish and publicize a one-lick enterprise level install of Wikibase and the Query Engine.
The participants of the user group have been using a Wikibase install and query engine install since early 2017. Miguel Paraz has also created a bulk upload tool for use on Wikibase. Miguel has also been involved asking or reporting technical issues on the Wikidata tech list. Git Hub space is at GitHub. In October 2017, Laura presented information on this process at WikidataCon 2017 in Berlin. Her presentation can be found at Wikibase Install presentation - Laura Hale and Miguel Paraz Final.pdf. She has also chatted with a number of people interested in using Wikibase to explain some of the process, reported bugs and sought help on relevant WMF technical channels on IRC.
Joining the Group
The group is primarily active on our Slack channel. This is where most of the group's activity, Wikibase development discussions and social activities around the project take place. People who are interested in joining should get in touch with Laura or Miguel, who can send them an invite to the channel.
Mailing list: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikibaseug
Interested in participating
- --LauraHale (talk) 20:17, 31 October 2017 (UTC)
- Mardetanha talk 06:31, 1 November 2017 (UTC)
- --MParaz (talk) 12:05, 1 November 2017 (UTC)
- Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk) 11:18, 29 January 2018 (UTC)
- --Abbe98 (talk) 11:32, 29 January 2018 (UTC)
- Tero Toivanen 20:33, 29 January 2018 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 15:55, 13 February 2018 (UTC)
- --Andrawaag (talk) 15:59, 13 February 2018 (UTC)
- --Giuseppe Profiti (Baruneju) (talk) 16:02, 13 February 2018 (UTC)
- --Papuass (talk) 21:11, 14 February 2018 (UTC)
- despens (talk) 12:33, 20 February 2018 (UTC)
- --Jens Ohlig (WMDE) (talk) 11:21, 28 February 2018 (UTC)
- --K4-713 (talk) 13:31, 24 April 2018 (UTC)
- --Lozana Rossenova (talk) 11:19, 26 April 2018 (UTC)
- — 0x010C ~talk~ 08:09, 19 May 2018 (UTC)
- ·addshore· talk to me! 12:06, 27 August 2018 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 16:01, 21 September 2018 (UTC)
- Rolery02 (talk) 17:42, 21 September 2018 (UTC)
- Pharos (talk) 17:55, 21 September 2018 (UTC)