Wikimedia Central and Eastern Europe
Wikimedia Central and Eastern Europe or CEEWikiLink is a partnership among the Wikimedia communities in Central and Eastern Europe. The main goal of the group is to stimulate growth for all Wikimedia projects of this region and aid in cooperation and understanding of individual projects which are part of the CEE region.
- 1 Background
- 2 Membership
- 3 Mailing list
- 4 IRC
- 5 Meetings
- 6 Projects
- 7 Participants
The Central and Eastern European Wikimedia Group, usually called as CEEWiki Group, was founded in Haifa at Wikimania 2011. Its main purposes are organising chapter meetings and helping those countries which have no chapter or user group.
What is the purpose of this group?
CEE Partnership is basically a broad project to "link-up" the CEE wikis in mutual co-operation. Some initiatives of this project include:
- Wikimedia meetup Central and Eastern Europe
- A joint CEE mailing list or IRC channel #wmcee
- An article coverage campaign (this includes each CEE wiki having articles about other CEE countries - e.g. the Romanian Wikipedia having articles about famous Estonians and towns in Estonia)
- Perhaps a Wikimedia Central and Eastern Europe local chapter - this could be registered in a certain country but could operate on a pan-CEE basis.
Why is this group unique?
It is the first time that a group of Wikimedia projects in a region have come together for co-operation. Outside Meta, we have seen fairly little co-operation between Wikimedia projects of different languages, on an organised scale. That's important because, by co-operating, all CEE wikis can grow mutually. This will also strengthen the voice of CEE wikis in the general Wikimedia structure. Just look at what the European Union has achieved!
Wikimedia projects in following languages are included in WMCEE:
Founding Wikimedia organizations and groups
- Wikimedia Czech Republic
- Wikimedia Hungary
- Shared Knowledge (Wikimedia Macedonia)
- Wikimedia Poland
- Wikimedia Russia
- Wikimedia Serbia
- Wikimedians from Bulgaria
- Wikimedians from Croatia
- Wikimedia Estonia
- Wikimedia Ukraine
- Wikimedians from Albania
- Wikimedians from Belarus
- Wikimedians from Bosnia and Herczegovina
- Wikimedians from Greece - User group
- Wikimedians from Lithuania
- Wikimedians from Latvia
- Wikimedians from Moldova
- Wikimedians from Montenegro
- Wikimedians from Romania
- Wikimedia Slovakia
- Wikimedians from Slovenia
- WMCEE-l: firstname.lastname@example.org, registration
You can join us on the #wmcee channel on irc.freenode.net IRC network.
- 6th August, 2011 - Haifa, Israel (Founders lunch at Wikimania)
- October 13–14, 2012 - Belgrade, Serbia (CE chapter meeting)
- November 14–17, 2013 - Modra, Slovakia
- December 19—21, 2014 - Kyiv, Ukraine
- No ongoing meeting right now. CEE you soon! :)
- Wikimedia CEE Spring 2015 - a 3-month period for creating articles about every country in the region in every Wikipedia in the region.
It would be great to get at least one link (one user) from each CEE Wikipedia. However, the smaller Wikimedia languages which are part of the CEE region may not currently have a large enough community to support this project. Please list yourself under the Wikipedia you are currently editing most in and/or are willing to help contribute CEE-related articles to.