Wikimedia Central and Eastern Europe
Wikimedia Central and Eastern Europe or CEEWikiLink is a partnership among the Wikimedia communities in Central and Eastern Europe. The main goal of the group is to stimulate growth for all Wikimedia projects of this region and aid in cooperation and understanding of individual projects which are part of the CEE region.
- 1 Background
- 2 Membership
- 3 Communication
- 4 Projects
- 5 See also
- 6 References
The Central and Eastern European Wikimedia Group, usually called as CEEWiki Group, was founded in Haifa at Wikimania 2011. Its main purposes are organising chapter meetings and helping those countries which have no chapter or user group.
What is the purpose of this group?
CEE Partnership is basically a broad project to "link-up" the CEE wikis in mutual co-operation. Some initiatives of this project include:
- Wikimedia meetup Central and Eastern Europe
- A joint CEE mailing list, facebook page or IRC channel #wmcee
- An article coverage campaign (this includes each CEE wiki having articles about other CEE countries - e.g. the Romanian Wikipedia having articles about famous Estonians and towns in Estonia)
- Perhaps a Wikimedia Central and Eastern Europe local chapter - this could be registered in a certain country but could operate on a pan-CEE basis.
Why is this group unique?
It is the first time that a group of Wikimedia projects in a region have come together for co-operation. Outside Meta, we have seen fairly little co-operation between Wikimedia projects of different languages, on an organised scale. That's important because, by co-operating, all CEE wikis can grow mutually. This will also strengthen the voice of CEE wikis in the general Wikimedia structure. Just look at what the European Union has achieved!
Wikimedia projects in following languages are included in WMCEE:
Founding Wikimedia organizations and groups
- Wikimedia Czech Republic
- Wikimedia Hungary
- Shared Knowledge (Wikimedia Macedonia)
- Wikimedia Poland
- Wikimedia Russia
- Wikimedia Serbia
- Wikimedians from Bulgaria
- Wikimedians from Croatia
- Wikimedians from Albania
- Azerbaijani Wikimedians User Group
- Wikimedia Community User Group Belarus
- Wikimedians from Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Esperanto and Free Knowledge
- Wikimedia Estonia
- Wikimedia User Group Greece
- Wikimedians from Kosovo
- Wikimedians from Lithuania
- Wikimedians from Latvia
- Wikimedians from Moldova
- Wikimedians from Montenegro
- Wikimedians from Romania
- Wikimedia Slovakia
- Wikimedians from Slovenia
- Wikimedia Ukraine
- WMCEE-l: firstname.lastname@example.org, registration
- Facebook page
- You can join us on the #wmcee channel on irc.freenode.net IRC network.
- Wikimedia Central and Eastern Europe/List of Mailing Lists
- Wikimedia CEE Spring 2015 - a 3-month period for creating articles about every country in the region in every Wikipedia in the region.
- Wikimedia CEE Spring 2016 - continuation of a successful idea.
- At least 5 edits per month. Data from stats.wikimedia.org, taken on 29 November 2015