2005 · 2006 · 2007 · 2008 · 2009· 2010
- 1 Protected wiki
- 2 Canadian Aboriginal Languages Wikipedia Coordination
- 3 GLAM activities and WM Canada
- 4 Wikimedia LGBT
- 5 Request for comments on Wikimedia user group logos
- 6 Affiliations Committee call for candidates - September 2014
- 7 See also : Participant list
- 8 Updates on your work in 2013 and 2014
I just wanted to voice my annoyance at the fact that http://wikimedia.ca/ is protected from anonymous editing. The fact that users can't participate in discussions on the wiki without registering is unfortunate, in my opinion. (Also, there is a significant amount of spamming going on, which can't be easily blanked and marked for deletion...) --Yair rand 07:18, 3 October 2011 (UTC)
- Yes Wiki UK requires the same. Maybe we could look at running pending changes to deal with the spam.--Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 12:39, 3 October 2011 (UTC)
- Wikimedia Australia also prevents anon edits, because we dont (yet) have the resources to deal with spam and legal problems which can arise on a wiki (e.g. libel, participation by children, copyright). We previously only allowed members to edit, however we have recently opened the wiki to non-members, but they can only edit talk pages. I think WMIT currently only allows members to edit. John Vandenberg 07:51, 4 October 2011 (UTC)
- If I'm not mistaken, the chapters whose websites are hosted by the Foundation (WMPL, WMSE, WMUA, WMUS-NYC, WMRS, WMFI and WMUK, and if I forget any others please accept my apologies in advance) should allow editing by anyone with an account on any Wikimedia Foundation wiki. --Sky Harbor (talk) 12:02, 4 October 2011 (UTC)
Canadian Aboriginal Languages Wikipedia Coordination
Just a quick note to let you know of the creation of Canadian Aboriginal Languages Wikipedia Coordination. Thanks you, Welalin, Amqui 18:49, 11 February 2012 (UTC)
GLAM activities and WM Canada
Hello Canadian chapter, this is The Interior writing from the GLAM Boot camp in Washington, D.C. There are three Canadian attendees, and we are discussing the role of WM Canada in GLAM activities. WM D.C. has taken a strong role in GLAM training and co-ordination. We are wondering what the current members of WMC feel about future GLAM support and co-ordination. The chapter could have at least three more active members if GLAM becomes a strategic priority, and this could in turn bring in more participation. The non-profit status of the chapter is important in terms of receiving funds for activities. What is the current state of WM Canada's tax status? Thanks in advance, The Interior (talk) 14:37, 27 April 2013 (UTC)
|Wikimedia LGBT is a proposed thematic organization that seeks to promote the development of content on Wikimedia projects which is of interest to LGBT communities. Proposed activities include outreach at LGBT events, Wikimania and other Wikimedia events, an international campaign called Wiki Loves Pride, and work on safe space policies, among other collaborations and interwiki projects. Active Wikimedians are welcome to join this cause! Please consider adding your name as a participant/supporter. Current tasks include translating pages, building a strong framework here at Meta, and achieving user group status (with the eventual goal of becoming a thematic organization). Your feedback is welcome on the discussion page.|
- You are invited to participate in Wiki Loves Pride (Wiki Loves Pride 2014 at English Wikipedia), a global campaign to create and improve LGBT-related content throughout the month of June, culminating with a multinational edit-a-thon on June 21. There are many ways to help, including translating the Wiki Loves Pride at Meta (or Wikipedia), hosting an LGBT edit-a-thon, uploading media files related to LGBT culture and history, or supporting an LGBT initiative at any Wikimedia project. Thank you for your consideration, and please let me know if you have any questions. --Another Believer (talk) 21:21, 23 May 2014 (UTC)
The Affiliations Committee is requesting comments on proposed best practices for Wikimedia user group logos. The committee will seek community input until Saturday, May 24, 2014. After considering the community's input, the Affiliations Committee will publish on Meta-Wiki guidelines for Wikimedia user group logos.
There is already a standard format used by chapters, and that format is being applied to thematic organizations as well. Chapters and thematic organizations have also worked with Wikimedia Foundation legal in the past on custom logos. Wikimedia user groups may also create custom logos, and the new trademark policy allows for logos to be based off the community or Wikimedia Foundation logos. However, there remains a question of the best practice for standard user group logos.
Please make any comments or ask any questions on Meta-Wiki at Affiliations Committee/RFCs/Wikimedia user group logos.
Thank you - Wikimedia Affiliations Committee
The Affiliations Committee is looking for new members. The committee's work requires communication with volunteers all over the World, negotiating skills and cultural sensitivity and the ability to understand legal texts. We try to get a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members.
Members are usually selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms. The applications will be voted on by the current members not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisers, WMF staff and board liaisons based on the membership criteria. A final decision will be made by the end of October 2014, with new members expected to join on or around 1 November 2014.
Please read the full call for candidates for more information, membership criteria, and details on how to apply.
Chair, Affiliations Committee
See also : Participant list
Updates on your work in 2013 and 2014
Hello, Wikimedia Canada colleagues!
We've been doing some work on the Reports page her on Meta, and were not able to locate any recent financial or activity reports for WMCA. Do you think you could update this page with some information about your finances in 2013, to get up-to-date on your reporting? (Now that 2014 has wrapped up, you have a few months to work on your report and financial statements for the most recent year, and you can combine that effort with some of the work you are doing on your grant report!)
Also, I think it would be nice if you linked to those reports directly from this page, since it would make them easier to find. I was able to find some of your older financial and activity reports on the chapter website, but it took a little bit of digging ;)
If you have any questions, or if you could use some support or guidance in making these reports, please let us know. We are happy to help.