Preparing to start the process in early 2017
For 15 years, Wikimedians have worked together to build the largest free knowledge resource in human history. During this time, we've grown from a small group of editors to a diverse network of editors, developers, affiliates, readers, donors, and partners. Today, we are more than a group of websites. We are a movement rooted in values and a powerful vision: all knowledge for all people.
As a movement, we have an opportunity to decide where we go from here. We can decide how we make our vision a reality. Fifteen years from now, when we look back, what will we have achieved? What role do we want to play in the world? Who will have joined our movement? What work lies ahead of us? These are questions we can answer together.
Make your voice heard
Beginning in early 2017, the Wikimedia Foundation will support a series of facilitated discussions in collaboration with the Wikimedia community and the Board of Trustees. The focus will be on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve. We hope to design an inclusive process that makes space for everyone: editors, community leaders, affiliates, developers, readers, donors, technology platforms, institutional partners, and people we have yet to reach. There will be multiple ways to participate including on-wiki, in private spaces, and in-person meetings. We hope you will join and make your voice heard.
Whats happening now?
The Wikimedia Foundation is currently developing the process for the 2017 discussions. This work includes developing the format, timelines, and budget for the upcoming discussions.
We believe it is important to start with an understanding of what's gone right and – perhaps more importantly – what's gone wrong in our past strategy processes. To do that, we've conducted an audit of past processes.
Discussions will begin in early 2017, with the goal of presenting an initial strategic direction at Wikimania 2017 in Montreal, Canada. Stay tuned for more information on how to participate.
- Ways to participate
- Information about how you can participate and resources to help facilitate discussions.
- Information on the process which will be used to develop the movement strategy.
- Information on the movement strategy team.
- Research and notes
- Notes from discussions around the movement strategy, and findings related to its development.
- Archive of updates on the 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy process.
- Frequently asked questions
- Answers to frequently asked questions about the movement strategy process.
- Ask questions and provide feedback on this process.