Hello, and welcome to meta, a multilingual wiki for meta-content and discussions about the Wikimedia projects.
You can get started in a few ways:
- Browse Recent Changes and reading our page of global policies
- Visit the Babel and Wikimedia forums
- Browse the latest project ideas and translation requests
- Read the latest news and see what else is going on here.
- 1 Stewards/elections 2009/Guidelines/gsw
- 2 Thanks
- 3 language committee
- 4 Happy Birthday
- 5 als & nds Wikinews
- 6 RE: Bot flag at alswiki
- 7 Deutsches Übersetzerteam
- 8 Translation Update
- 9 Stewards
- 10 Abusefilter
- 11 Translation Request
- 12 Fundraising translation feedback
- 13 Each wiki is an independent community
- 14 Gràcies/Thank you
- 15 Superprotect letter update
- 16 Superprotect status
- 17 Mailing list for global renamers
- 18 Jahresplanung 2016 von Wikimedia Deutschland
- 19 Merchandise giveaway
- 20 Global sysop
- 21 Global sysop deletion of soft redirect at ladwiki
Hello Holder. Thank you for your translation; there are only a few words left before it is ready for the elections. Two headers, "Voters" and "Translators", and the last section "Provide proof of identity" are still in English. Thanks. :) —Pathoschild 23:39:29, 25 January 2009 (UTC)
Hoi, when you want to get the attention of the language committee, you have to have a full 100% of the most used messages. Otherwise the language is not noticed. I do regularly go over this list and without a full 100% other criteria are not relevant. You can always ping us when a language gets to this magic state :) thanks, GerardM 07:26, 8 October 2009 (UTC)
Happy Birthday! Vatsan34 09:01, 6 November 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks! --Holder 09:04, 6 November 2009 (UTC)
als & nds Wikinews
Hi, I don't think it's possible to write that such edition of Wikinews has been launched when those wikis do not exist. Many projects have "started" on Incubator and it is also not being written anywhere. Until they are approved wikis and created.
— Danny B. 11:30, 24 January 2010 (UTC)
- Hi Danny B.,
- the Alemannic and the Low Saxon Wikinews do exit as separate projects within Alemannic Wikipedia and Low Saxon Wikipedia. They are no new projects on Incubator. Three Alemannic projects (wiktionary, wikibooks, wikiquote) had been created as own wikis and had been merged with Alemannic Wikipedia in 2008 because the communirty was too small and the activity was low. The three and also Alemannic Wikisource and Wikinews have been created as separate namespaces within Alemannic Wikipedia. The notices in Wikimedia News could show the possibility of such merged projects for small communities. I understand your objection but there is also mentioned: Try mixing things up with other milestones, such as active users or new articles per day. ;-) Kind regards, --Holder 11:45, 24 January 2010 (UTC)
I understand that you want to promote them, however, better wording (using "has started on als Wikipedia" instead of "has been launched") would be better though.
— Danny B. 12:21, 24 January 2010 (UTC)
- Done. Thanks! --Holder 14:17, 24 January 2010 (UTC)
RE: Bot flag at alswiki
Weil ich momentan versuche, das leider ziemlich ausgestorbene Translation teams/de zu reaktivieren, suche ich jetzt nach neuen Mitgliedern. Da du auf deiner Benutzerseite angegeben hast, dass du vom Englischen ins Deutsche übersetzt und umgekehrt, möchte ich dich jetzt hiermit einfach mal fragen, ob du Interesse hast, dem Team beizutreten und gemeinsam mit uns an den Übersetzungen zu arbeiten.
Viele Grüße, --Thirafydion 09:50, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
I want to thank you for your help translating throughout this year's fundraiser. The fundraiser has greatly benefited from all your contributions. Currently, the Kartika, Liliaroja, Abbas and Joan Gomà appeals need to be translated, as we are running appeals from editors. You can find all translation requests at the translation hub on meta and you can follow the progress of the fundraiser in real time by tracking the fundraiser statistics. It is important to check the Core Messages as many languages still need updating. Also if you haven't already, you can subscribe to the translators-l mailing list for all new requests and major changes. Many thanks for your help in truly making this a global fundraiser that you can edit.Klyman 20:18, 7 December 2010 (UTC)
Are there any questions I can answer to persuade you to change to a support vote for my Steward candidacy? My cross-wiki experience does not always appear in MediaWiki logs; however my experience on staff at WMF involved a lot of cross-wiki monitoring, even if that monitoring did not necessarily require editing. Furthermore, I worked with translations on CentralNotice in meta, which does not log publicly to contributions. In these, and other ways, I've developed a sufficient amount of experience in cross-wiki activities that I will be comfortable as a Steward. With regards to monolingualism, the other chief opposition reason, some opposes have reconsidered and switched to yes after seeing that I am capable of understanding Romance languages and with the assistance of machine translation, I am able to effectively communicate in them as well. If there is anything else I can do that would help convince you to support, please let me know. Regards, ⇒SWATJester Son of the Defender 04:39, 17 February 2011 (UTC)
Hi Holder, I'd like to explain you in detail how the filter works, can you send me an email so I'll be able to reply? Have a nice day! --Vituzzu 11:52, 13 November 2011 (UTC)
Hi, we need a German translation for the Second Annual Editor Survey 2011: Research:Wikipedia Editors Survey November 2011/Translation We would really appreciate your help. Thank you! Akhanna 19:42, 14 November 2011 (UTC)
Fundraising translation feedback
Hey Holder, I have a bit of a request to ask from you. We pulled down our banners nearly a fortnight ago for what was a highly successful international fundraiser and brought the curtain down on last years fundraiser. This week however we will be changing payment processors and during the testing of the new system it would be useful to use the time productively on on testing banner text.
To help us out with this I wonder if you would be willing to help us improve our geman text using This Link
Simply follow the simple instructions on that page and if you have any questions feel free to contact me on my talk page.
We are going to run the test on tuesday so if you dont see this message till 24 hours after it was sent you can ignore me :) Many Thanks though.
Each wiki is an independent community
I am a little concerned that you have blocked someone definitely of long standing, and presumably of good standing, without having a conversation on their talk page. At alswiki the banned user was solely operating within their user space trying to get an article in place, and they have been banned with no right of appeal, without seemingly having a warning or conversation there. Now this user may nor may not have had a warning on another wiki, that I do not know, however, there is a lack of justice and procedural fairness in simply banning a person without conversation. There is no natural justice, and it would seem to reflect poorly on yourself and your community when you act as poorly as you accuse the other person. I understand the automatic reaction to stamp on things that are pesky and annoying, however, your role is to lead your community, not to lower your standards to that of pesky and annoying.
- Hi Billinghurst.
- Thank you for your comment.
- Russavia was warned on pflwiki and on barwiki, however, not on alswiki. Ok, perhaps it was over-hasty to block Russavia without further warnings but I was indeed very annoyed with his cross-wiki spamming of Polandball articles in English (neither in Bavarian, nor in Alemannic, nor in Palatinate German) and his spamming of photos on his user page. I knew his block log on enwiki but not his work on commons. My block comment was really problematic but I have hidden it, apologized for the wording and explained my real reasons for the block. And I’ve unblocked Russavia’s talk page on all three Wikipedias so he has the chance to discuss the topic on all three projects.
- Kind regards. --Holder (talk) 07:58, 15 May 2013 (UTC)
Hola, gràcies a la teva firma donant suport a la nostra associació. El passat dia 5 de juny Amical Wikimedia (Associació Amical Viquipèdia) va ser reconeguda pel Consell d'Administració de la Fundació Wikimedia com a Organització Temàtica. Pots veure el comunicat de l'associació en català aquí o el comunicat de la WMF en anglès aquí. Per a la nostra associació és una fita molt important, portàvem 5 anys demanant ésser un organisme oficial. Nosaltres continuarem la nostra tasca de promoció al carrer i a les institucions de la Viquipèdia i els seus projectes germans arreu dels territoris de parla catalana.
Hello, thanks for your signature giving support to our association. Last 5th of June Amical Wikimedia (Associació Amical Viquipèdia) was recognised by the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees as a Thematic Organization. You can read the news bulletin of our association in Catalan here or the WMF's bulletin in English here. For our association, this is a very important achievement: we have been pursuing the official recognition for the last 5 years. We are going to continue the task of promoting Wikipedia and its sister projects all around the Catalan-speaking regions.
Superprotect letter update
Along with more hundreds of others, you recently signed Letter to Wikimedia Foundation: Superprotect and Media Viewer, which I wrote.
Today, we have 562 signatures here on Meta, and another 61 on change.org, for a total of 623 signatures. Volunteers have fully translated it into 16 languages, and begun other translations. This far exceeds my most optimistic hopes about how many might sign the letter -- I would have been pleased to gain 200 siguatures -- but new signatures continue to come.
I believe this is a significant moment for Wikimedia and Wikipedia. Very rarely have I seen large numbers of people from multiple language and project communities speak with a unified voice. As I understand it, we are unified in a desire for the Wikimedia Foundation to respect -- in actions, in addition to words -- the will of the community who has built the Wikimedia projects for the benefit of all humanity. I strongly believe it is possible to innovate and improve our software tools, together with the Wikimedia Foundation. But substantial changes are necessary in order for us to work together smoothly and productively. I believe this letter identifies important actions that will strongly support those changes.
Have you been discussing these issues in your local community? If so, I think we would all appreciate an update (on the letter's talk page) about how those discussions have gone, and what people are saying. If not, please be bold and start a discussoin on your Village Pump, or in any other venue your project uses -- and then leave a summary of what kind of response you get on the letter's talk page.
Finally, what do you think is the right time, and the right way, to deliver this letter? We could set a date, or establish a threshold of signatures. I have some ideas, but am open to suggestions.
Dear Holder, since you are an administrator on a wiki from which no user participated in this discussion, I'd like to make sure you are aware of some recent events which may alter what the Wikimedia Foundation lets you do on your wiki: Superprotect.
- Request for comment: Requests for comment/Superprotect rights
- An open letter about its implementation: Letter to Wikimedia Foundation: Superprotect and Media Viewer
Peteforsyth 09:21, 12 September 2014 (UTC)
Mailing list for global renamers
Dear global renamer,
We have created a mailing list for us to allow easy communication. Please subscribe here and send me or Trijnstel an email to confirm it is you requesting it. Additionally, you might be interested to know of the existance of the #wikimedia-rename IRC channel where you are welcome to join. Should you have any questions, feel free to use my talk page.
Jahresplanung 2016 von Wikimedia Deutschland
vielen Dank für deine Beiträge auf der Seite zur partizipativen Jahresplanung 2016 von Wikimedia Deutschland.
You have been nominated to receive a free t-shirt from the Wikimedia Foundation through our Merchandise Giveaway program. Congratulations and thank you for your hard work! Please email us at merchandisewikimedia.org and we will send you full details on how to accept your free shirt.
- Hi SHust (WMF). I've sent the mail. Thanks and best regards. --Holder (talk) 05:37, 5 October 2015 (UTC)
Congrats, you now have global sysop rights. Please re-read the policy page, subscribe to the mailing list, and let me know if you have any questions. Thanks! Taketa (talk) 16:16, 29 October 2015 (UTC)
Global sysop deletion of soft redirect at ladwiki
Holder, first of all let me congratulate you on your recent election as global sysop.
In that capacity, you recently deleted lad:Ensiklopedia Livre de la Universidad de Seviya, which is a soft redirect to es:Enciclopedia Libre Universal en Español. I just restored that soft redirect.
- The one incoming link this soft redirect has is lad:Vikipedya:Embasada. Much of the infrastructure of ladwiki was imported from eswiki, and this had been sitting as a redlink for years. I chose to create a soft redirect, because I try very hard to minimize the occurrence of redlinks on project-space pages. The soft redirect does link to the appropriate page.
- If you strongly prefer this soft redirect to be called lad:Ansiklopedya Livre Universal en Espanyol, I could do that (and pipe the incoming link). I'm not sure it matters all that much.
- I want the soft direct to stay in Wikidata. This allows the various-language iw links to exist on the soft-direct page, so that if someone whose English or Turkish is better than his/her Spanish wants to find the link, s/he can.
Finally, please remember that to some extent the global sysop role is supposed to back up local sysops. I'm very happy to have you watching the wiki and helping us to maintain it. But unless what you are doing is reverting clear vandalism, consider contacting me first. (We don't have an AN page, and I'm the most active sysop right now. We're all listed at lad:Vikipedya:Administradores.) StevenJ81 (talk) 18:39, 14 December 2015 (UTC)