After a long wait of the project in incubation, Odia Wikisource (or.wikisource.org) went live on October 20. Centre for Internet and Society's Access to Knowledge (CIS-A2K) congratulates all the wikilibrarians whose persistent effort for bringing new contributors and digitizing books made this happen. CIS-A2K is also honored to be instrumental for bringing about more than 40 books relicensed under Creative Commons Share-Alike (CC-by-SA 4.0) license by reaching out to authors and copyright holders. The first Odia Wikipedia campus program at Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS) was implemented where 43 students under the guidance of 9 faculty were trained to digitize books of iconic Odia author Dr Jagannath Mohanty that were relicensed earlier this year. Collaboration with Wikimedians Manoj Sahukar and Shitikantha Dash has resulted encoding converters that convert other encoding to Unicode. This has helped to bring new wikilibrarians to digitize Odia classic "Odia Bhagabata" on Wikisource.
- ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଭାଷା ବିକାଶରେ ପ୍ରତିବନ୍ଧକ ଓ ସମ୍ଭାବନା (Subhashish Panigrahi; Samaja; October 13, 2014).
- More Than 40 Million People Await the Launch of Odia Wikisource (Subhashish Panigrahi; Global Voices and Wikimedia Blog; October 21, 2014).
- Odia Littérateur Ramakrushna Nanda's 4 Books Now Available Under a Creative Commons License (Subhashish Panigrahi; October 22, 2014).
- Open Access Platform to Save the Odia Indian Language (Subhashish Panigrahi; Opensource.com; October 22, 2014).
- Odia Wikisource Goes Live! (Subhashish Panigrahi; October 26, 2014).
- Samskrita Vaibhavam (Shubha and Sayant Mahato; October 30, 2014).
- Tulu Wikipedia Workshop cum Editathon at Udupi (Dr. U.B.Pavanaja; October 31, 2014). The event was covered by V4News.com and Mangalore Today.
- Converting from nonUnicode (Nudi, Baraha, ...) font encoding to Unicode Kannada (Dr. U.B.Pavanaja; October 31, 2014).
- Sangeet Baithak: A Hindustani Music Resource Donation Event in Mumbai. (Organized by CIS-A2K and Khayal Trust; Shivaji Park, Dadar, Mumbai; October 7, 2014).
- Indian Women in Science Wiki edit-a-thon (Organized by IndoBioScience and CIS-A2K; Centre for Ecological Sciences, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore; October 11, 2014).
- Ada Lovelace Edit-a-thon 2014 (Organized by IndoBioScience and CIS-A2K; Urban Solace; October 14, 2014).
News and media coverage
CIS-A2K team gave its inputs to the following media coverage:
- Enliven the Tulu Viki Fidia first and then add Tulu to the 8th Schedule : Dr.UG Pavanaja, Bangalore Rep. in Udupi (V4News.com; October 15, 2014).
- Wikipedia can establish Tulu in a wider way (Mangalore Today; October 17, 2014).
- Pushing women scientists (Renuka Phadnis; Hindu; October 19, 2014).
- Wiki Media Foundation keen on developing Urdu Wikipedia (Nisar Ahmed Syed; October 22, 2014).
- Wiki Media Foundation keen on developing Urdu Wikipedia (Siasat Daily; October 24, 2014)
Participation in event
- Barcamp Bangalore (Organized by SAP Labs; Bangalore; October 12, 2014). Dr. U.B.Pavanaja and Rahmanuddin Shaik took part in the event.
Wikimedia Foundation has funded A2K to anchor the growth of the Wikimedia movement in India. The A2K team consists of six members, four of them being based in Bangalore: T. Vishnu Vardhan, Dr. U.B. Pavanaja, Subhashish Panigrahi and Rahmanuddin Shaikh. We also have one Advisor, Dr. Tejaswini Niranjana working with us.
Archives of our newsletters can be accessed here. Wikipedians from various communities can request for outreach programmes, technical bugs, logistics-merchandise and media, public relations and communications here.
The Centre for Internet and Society is a non-profit research organisation that works on policy issues relating to freedom of expression, privacy, accessibility for persons with disabilities, access to knowledge and IPR reform, and openness (including open government, FOSS, open standards, etc), and engages in academic research on digital natives and digital humanities.
Request for collaboration
We invite researchers, practitioners, and theoreticians, both organisationally and as individuals, to collaboratively engage with Internet and society and improve our understanding of this new field. To discuss research collaborations, write to Sunil Abraham, Executive Director at email@example.com or Sumandro Chattapadhyay, Research Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CIS is grateful to its primary donor, Kusuma Trust founded by Anurag Dikshit and Soma Pujari, philanthropists of Indian origin for its core funding and support for most of its projects. CIS is also grateful to its other donors, Wikimedia Foundation, Ford Foundation, Privacy International, UK, Hans Foundation, MacArthur Foundation, and IDRC for funding its various projects.
Follow us on
Website Facebook Twitter Google+ YouTube