|For legal and security reasons, the Wikimedia Foundation has decided that Two factor authentication is required for this role.|
|←Policies and guidelines||Global sysop policy & information|
|Meta:Requests and proposals and Steward requests/Miscellaneous.This page outlines the standards and guidelines related to the use of the user rights assigned to the global sysop user group. If you need help from a sysop or a steward on your project, please see|
Global sysops are highly trusted users with a strong track record of cross-wiki contributions that have sysop privileges on most public wikis, for the purposes of antivandalism and routine maintenance. They are not users with sysop tools on all wikis and they have no extra editorial control over content or the local community.
By default, global sysops may use this global user group's permissions on wikis that meet one or both of the following criteria:
- fewer than ten administrators exist; or
- fewer than three administrators have made a logged action within the past two months.
Projects may opt-in or opt-out at their own discretion if they obtain local consensus. Simply inform any steward of the community's decision. A wiki set is used to specify a list of wikis where global sysops do not have access (list).
Most global sysops also have global rollback. Unlike the global sysop rights, global rollback is truly global.
Requests for global sysop rights should be placed on Steward requests/Global permissions. The request will be approved by a steward if there is a consensus for the user to become a global sysop after a period of discussion of no less than two weeks. The discussion is not a vote; comments must present specific points in favor of or against the user's approval.
Continued global sysop access depends on both activity and the continued support of the Wikimedia community.
- Global sysops will automatically lose their access if in six months they've not used the respective rights outside of wikis on which they have local rights.
Vote of confidence:
- Any steward may remove a global sysop's rights at any time if they feel the tools have been misused, or if a request for comment has shown that a significant minority does not trust the global sysop. If this occurs and the global sysop wants the tools back, a vote of confidence shall occur, where the global sysop must retain the consensus of the community in order to return their access.
This is the list of permissions, with explanations, which global sysops have. The permissions are nearly identical to those of regular administrators; however, these permissions apply to any Wikimedia Foundation project that has not opted out of the global sysops' access list. They are not capable of changing any local userrights either (unless they also have appropriate local permissions).
- Block a user from sending email (blockemail)
- Block other users from editing (block)
- Bypass IP blocks, auto-blocks and range blocks (ipblock-exempt)
- Delete pages (delete)
- Mass delete pages (nuke)
- Not create redirects from source pages when moving pages (suppressredirect)
- Search deleted pages (browsearchive)
- Undelete a page (undelete)
- View deleted history entries, without their associated text (deletedhistory)
- View deleted text and changes between deleted revisions (deletedtext)
- Delete and undelete specific revisions of pages (deleterevision)
- Delete and undelete specific log entries (deletelogentry)
- Change protection levels and edit cascade-protected pages (protect)
- Edit pages protected as "Allow only administrators" (editprotected)
- Edit pages protected as "Allow only autoconfirmed users" (editsemiprotected)
- Edit sitewide CSS (editsitecss)
- Edit other users' CSS files (editusercss)
- Not be affected by IP-based rate limits (autoconfirmed)
- Edit the user interface (editinterface)
- Modify abuse filters (abusefilter-modify)
- View detailed abuse log entries (abusefilter-log-detail)
- Have one's own edits automatically marked as patrolled (autopatrol)
- Auto-review on rollback (autoreviewrestore)
- Not be affected by rate limits (noratelimit)
- Import pages from other wikis (import)
- Mark others' edits as patrolled (patrol)
- Mark rolled-back edits as bot edits (markbotedits)
- Move files (movefile)
- Move pages (move)
- Move pages with their subpages (move-subpages)
- Move root user pages (move-rootuserpages)
- Override files on the shared media repository locally (reupload-shared)
- Override the spoofing checks (override-antispoof)
- Override the title or username blacklist (tboverride)
- Overwrite existing files (reupload)
- Perform CAPTCHA-triggering actions without having to go through the CAPTCHA (skipcaptcha)
- Quickly rollback the edits of the last user who edited a particular page (rollback)
- Upload files (upload)
- Use higher limits in API queries (apihighlimits)
- View a list of unwatched pages (unwatchedpages)
- View the spam blacklist log (spamblacklistlog)
Global sysops must have user pages on every wiki they use their global sysop access on, which provides contact information or links to their primary user page (creation bot available currently).
For urgent help from a global sysop, join the IRC channel #wikimedia-gs and type
!gs in the channel to get the attention of global sysops.
Global sysops may contact each other via the private mailing list.
Users with global sysop access
- Last updated: 2019-04-09 
|Name||IRC nick||Languages spoken||Global sysop since|
|Aldnonymous||Aldnonymous / Aldnon||id, en-4, bbc-Latn-3, bts-3, ms-3, bew-2, min-2, su-2, ace-2, jv-2, map-bms-2, (-1 or -2) some Indonesian local languages||2019-03-14|
|Amire80||ru, he-5, en-4, ca-3, eo-2, es-2, it-2, fr-1, am-1, ar-1, la-1, lt-1||2017-02-02|
|Atcovi||Atcovi, thestupidking (TSK)||en, de-1||2019-01-30|
|Biplab Anand||Biplab||ne, mai, hi-4, en-2, bh-2, awa-2, dty-2, sa-2||2019-05-16|
|DARIO SEVERI||it, pt-4, en-4, es-2, fr-2, gl-2, th-1||2017-07-25|
|Esteban16||Esteban16||es, en-2, pt-1, it-1||2018-12-19|
|Holder||Holder||gsw, de, en-3, pfl-3||2015-10-29|
|Huji||Huji||fa, en-4, ar-1, tr-1, es-1||2018-08-10|
|Infinite0694||Infinite0694||ja, en-3, de-3,fr-2, it-1||2016-01-21|
|MF-Warburg||MF-W||de, en-3, fr-1, tet-1, la-1, es-1||2019-03-07|
|MoiraMoira||Moira2||nl, nds-nl-4, en-3, de-2, fr-2, it-1, es-1, la-1||2010-12-23|
|PiRSquared17||PiRSquared17||en, fr-2, la-1, it-1, lt-1||2012-12-12|
|Vermont||Vermont||en, es-2, ru-1||2019-03-26|
|Vogone||Vogone / eikes||de, lt-3, en-3, fr-2||2013-01-16|