Talk:WikiProject remote event participation
Types of barriers this project will address
Currently this project has the name "WikiProject Remote Event Participation".
In these early conversations there is a presumption that we should make live events accessible over geographical barriers. I agree, and also we can do more. Here are some other barriers
- Live events can still be inaccessible because of time barriers, either for time zone differences or because of schedule conflicts
- The notes mention language barriers
- The notes mention barriers to accessing presentation slides, which is still a big wiki challenge with most slides having non-free components and being imcompatible with wiki remote sharing
- The wiki community still struggles with barriers to accessing source materials, which is one resource barrier
- Some presenters in the wiki movement have much easier access to journalists and media support at events to showcase their projects. Granting more community paid staff journalism support removes barriers to a presentation having impact and reach.
- Since at least 2012 the majority of presentations at Wikimedia events include at least one speaker who is either paid to give the presentation or a professional Wikipedia contributor. Space on the program is scarce and volunteers are greatly underrepresented in accessing it.
MassiveEartha At the Wikimedia Cafe meetup you asked about organizing for remote participation. Such as it is, this group seems like the place for that. Blue Rasberry (talk) 18:12, 27 September 2019 (UTC)
Remote Event participation for Wikimania 2020
what do you think are possibilities to participate at Wikimania 2020 from your home. After the test at the Wikimania this year I think that Videos are problematic because of the Bandwith and so phone calls are better. I think it were great if it is possible to call the Wikimedians who are at the Wikimania and speak with them. At else it were great if it is possible to listen to the meetings and presentations via a phone call. In the system what was used for the test in August at last Wikimania there were phone numbers from many countrys. What ideas for remote participation do you have and who is responsible for this at the Wikimania organization team and what do they know about that. -- Hogü-456 (talk) 19:20, 9 October 2019 (UTC)
Remote participation Wikimania learning pattern
Together with Ainali (talk · contribs) and Audrey Lebioda, Nationalmuseum (talk · contribs), I am in the process of writing down a brief learning pattern / documentation on the Wikimania wiki on remote participation, to be used for future Wikimania organizers. It would be great to have your input in the process! You can either give it here, or in the discussion page of the page on the Wikimania wiki, or by editing directly. Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 10:09, 14 January 2020 (UTC)