Wiki Loves Women/SheSaid
The SheSaid is a drive run by Wiki In Africa as part of the Wiki Loves Women initiative. The campaign aims to celebrate and recognize women by focusing on enhancing their representation and visibility on Wikiquote. Through this drive, the WLW initiative encourages the creation and improvement of Wikiquote entries related to these influential women, thus contributing to a more inclusive and diverse representation of their voices and perspectives.
The impact of the #SheSaid campaign on Wikiquote has been truly remarkable, with over 7,721 new articles created or edited in 11 different languages across the last three editions. This impressive achievement reflects the collective effort and dedication of the Wiki Loves Women initiative and the different participating communities in celebrating and increasing the visibility of women leaders.
The continuous growth in the number of articles created or edited with each edition showcases the sustained success of the campaign. It indicates a growing awareness and commitment from contributors around the world to bridge the gender gap in representation and recognition.
Given to this success and noting that there is still a lot to do, the #SheSaid drive will run again in 2023 and will run from the 1st of October till 31st of December 2023
Why the SheSaid campaign?
To balance the representation of gender in the entries of Wikiquote.
To illustrate the situation, here are a few interesting figures:
- On the English Wikiquote main page on 6th of Oct 2020, in the Selected people section, 29 men are featured and only 4 women (see the screenshot on the right).
- There are 260 women who have featured articles on either French or English Wikipedias... with no entry on the French Wikiquote.
- There are 162 women who have featured articles on the English Wikipedia with no wikiquote entry.
- There are 777 women and 3504 men listed on the French wikiquote.
- As of December 2022 there were 374 women as opposed to 2876 men listed on the German wikiquote.
- There were 264 women who have featured articles on either the German or English Wikipedias... with no entry on the German Wikiquote.
Obviously, not all women said good quotes that would make a wikiquote entry worth it. Still...
The #SheSaid campaign, launched in October 2020 on Wikiquote, has been an astounding success! Spanning across 7 languages, by January 5th, 2021, the campaign led to a total of 867 new or improved articles, with the majority being new contributions.
- Following Italian Wikiquote's remarkable contribution of 405 articles, Ukraine comes in the second place with 187 articles, and French takes the third spot with 105 articles.
The second edition was a resounding success, with 1500+ new Wikiquote entries created and improved in 9 languages!
- Italian, with 836 new or improved articles and Tagalog with 308 new or improved articles, were the most active languages.
In 2022, the 3rd edition of the campaign run from the 1st October to 31st December 2022 and resulted in +4158 articles created or imported and +1918 articles improved.
- The first place goes to the Italian Wikiquote with 1212 new or improved articles, followed by Taglog with 1514 new or improved articles and English with 1003 new or improved articles.
Creating visuals to promote the campaign and Wikiquote each edition is an effective way to engage the audience and generate interest in the initiative.
Visual materials like postcards, bookmarks, and banners which can serve as eye-catching reminders of the campaign's mission and encourage people to take part. They can be distributed at events, conferences, and other gatherings to attract attention and spark interest in Wikiquote and the importance of recognizing and celebrating women.
To know more about our impact, you can read the following blogpostsː
- Wiki Loves Women’s #SheSaid Campaign Gives Notable Women a Voice on Wikiquote
- #SheSaid20 Gives Women a Voice on Wikiquote
- #SheSaid20 Amplifies the Voices of 867 women
- #SheSaid Campaign Launch
- Launches : getting women’s voices heard
- Carol hosts SheSaid in Kenya
- WLW: Let women’s voices be heard through #SheSaid
- #SheSaid 2021 Global Campaign Results!!!
- SheSaid in Nairobi – an eye-opening experience
- #SheSaid Campaign Results
- Cape Town #SheSaid event adds 25 South African women to Wikiquote over 3-day workshop
- My #SheSaid Experience
- She has a lot to say! #SheSaid
- SheSaid 2022 - 2023 in Zimbabwae
External media coverage
- Embrace Internet for Development, Herald.co.zw. 28 Sept 2021
- "#SheSaid Amplifies Women’s Voices via WikiQuote" from Diff
- #SheSaid : rendre compte de la parole des femmes, sur WikiQuote par Antoine Oury, publié le 22/02/2021.
What to do now?
What we plan on doing!
- Give a bit of love to Wikiquote in the language of your liking. Check existing Wikiquote women entries and see if they might be improved. Or create new entries for notable women who produced notable quotes. Or add notable quotes from women in various entries. Or fix broken categories about women.
- When you improve entries, please add #SheSaid in the comment box so that we can see how much impact we make!
- Or list your entry in the language portal page.
- Relay the #SheSaid drive to your friends and community!
- Place your username and community for #SheSaid drive in 2022!
- Join your local language dedicated portal page or create one if needed!
- If you need funding, submit a grant request to Wikimedia Foundation before September 1st.
- Consider joining the Telegram channel: https://t.me/+Ro2OSi68A6E13vaS
- Check out the talk page for office hours and more.