How to translate
- Find something in the translators dashboard that you would like to translate
- Click relevant section
- Start translating
See the tutorial for details.
How to request a translation
- If it doesn't exist yet, create the page you want to be translated here on Meta-Wiki.
- Follow the tutorial to prepare the page for translation (steps 1 and 2 of the tutorial).
- A translation administrator (or yourself if you're one) will see the page on Special:PageTranslation and mark it for translation (step 3 of the tutorial).
Best practices in short (read more):
- Make the source text as clear and understandable as possible. When a text is to be translated, clarity comes before conciseness.
- For texts used outside of Meta, it is recommended that you include an explanation or a link showing the context of the original.
- Think about when you want the translation to be ready, and which languages it is most relevant to translate the given text into, and specify those on the page itself.
You can sometimes ask for help with translations on Translators-l, a mailing list for Wikimedia translators.
You can read more about translatability.
Wikimedia Foundation wiki
Some of the above requests, and some of the manual requests in Translations by status, are or were about pages which exist (also) on wikimediafoundation.org and used to be handled by interested editors and the transcom (until May 2013), see the subpages for archives.
If you want to translate a Wikimedia Foundation site or publication that is not editable, contact the local people in charge, such as foundationwiki sysops.
In 2021, the Wikimedia Foundation wiki started accepting SUL logins like other wikis, but restricts editing of the article namespace. Talk pages and translations can be edited by all. As a result, you can translate directly in the wiki. For more information, see Wikimedia Foundation Governance Wiki.
- Translators-l — a mailing list frequently used to notify translators about new translation requests
- Help:CentralNotice/Translations — for certain special features related to the CentralNotice
- (for translation administrators): Special:NotifyTranslators (brief documentation)