WikiBlind User Group
WikiBlind User Group, is a new international online group in which our members, blind, low vision and sighted, can connect and discover the options we most enjoy for participating in the free and open knowledge movement.
If you would like more information on options for joining us, we would love to include you! Please give us your name and email address in this very short Survey Monkey form.
Our group of volunteers started forming as a Facebook group called WikiBlind, starting on 24 April 2019. If you are on Facebook, please come join our group! WikiBlind group on Facebook
Everyone is welcome to join in the adventures, all ages, abilities and cultures. We strive to be radically welcoming and inclusive, and want to identify and overcome the barriers that stop people from being able to participate in this wild wiki world!
On May 15, 2019, we submitted our first Rapid Grant proposal to Wikimedia. The grant was approved, and three of WikiBlind's members attended the National Federation of the Blind convention in July 2019 to promote the project, including meetings with leaders of the National Federation of the Blind and the American Foundation for the Blind.
In May 2020, we became an official user group with approval by the Wikimedia Foundation's Affiliations Committee!
If you are interested in learning how you might be able to qualify for your own funding from the Wikimedia Foundation, please take a look at WMF Rapid Grants and message us to learn more.
We are also now set up as @wikiBlind on Twitter and we are looking for tweeters!
If you would like to be a part of the Blind Wikimedians User Group, you can add your username to this list. This is done by typing a number sign (#) below the list of names already here, then four tildes ("~~~~"), then clicking on Publish Changes. Try it!
- Graham87 (talk) 02:31, 26 April 2019 (UTC)
- DrMel (talk) 02:36, 26 April 2019 (UTC)
- Shabab Mustafa (talk) 21:18, 27 April 2019 (UTC)
- Ehollig (talk) 00:21, 28 April 2019 (UTC)
- Kayusyussuf (talk) 13:44, 28 April 2019 (UTC)
- WittiePenguin (talk) 07:44, 30 April 2019 (UTC)
- Rforrejin (talk) 13:20, 30 April 2019 (UTC)
- RexxS (talk) 17:51, 1 May 2019 (UTC)
- This is Paul (talk) 17:53, 1 May 2019 (UTC)
- Quiddity (talk) 19:29, 1 May 2019 (UTC)
- DrKirkAdams (talk) 20:18, 1 May 2019 (UTC)
- MatTheMusician (talk) 03:17, 15 May 2019 (UTC)MatTheMusician
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:00, 18 May 2019 (UTC)
- Academic Challenger (talk) 06:25, 19 May 2019 (UTC)
- Comp1089 (talk) 15:24, 18 August 2019 (UTC)
- Hello from Peter in San Diego County, CA, USA aka Vid2vid (talk) 21:24, 28 August 2019 (UTC)!
- KaraLG84 (talk) 19:43, 2 September 2019 (UTC)
- Checkingfax (talk) 04:31, 28 December 2019 (UTC)
- B20180 (talk) 05:09, 11 May 2020 (UTC)
- --RightCowLeftCoast (talk) 23:16, 9 May 2019 (UTC)
- --Vahidmasrour (talk) 20:45, 12 July 2019 (UTC)
- --DannyS712 (talk) 22:07, 28 August 2019 (UTC)
- --Rotideypoc41352 (talk) 20:30, 2 September 2019 (UTC)
- --Filipinayzd (talk) 18:14, 17 October 2019 (UTC)
- —TheDJ (talk • contribs) 10:55, 4 November 2019 (UTC)
- --Reda Kerbouche (talk) 17:50, 8 November 2019 (UTC)
- --Emna (talk) 21:34, 9 December 2019 (UTC)
- --Volker E. (talk) 23:10, 3 January 2020 (UTC)
- --Peter in San Diego, CA, USA, a.k.a. the sighted but be-spectacled Vid2vid (talk) 03:58, 12 January 2020 (UTC) (Friend of @DrMel:).
- I studied the issue a little bit years ago, total support.--Alexmar983 (talk) 14:07, 14 May 2020 (UTC)
- --· · · Peter (Southwood) (talk): 12:31, 15 May 2020 (UTC)
- Wwwhatsup (talk) 16:15, 1 July 2020 (UTC) (Internet Society Accessibility SIG)
- Skylar Covich (User:Academic Challenger) attended the National Federation of the Blind of California convention from November 7–10, 2019, in Milpitas, California. He handed out WikiBlind cards and explained the process of editing Wikipedia.
- WikiBlind's experienced Wikipedians will hold monthly office hours for training of blind editors. Recruitment for training sessions will occur on Twitter, through WikiBlind's Facebook group, and through various Facebook groups and organizations for the blind.
- Two of WikiBlind's three leaders are in southern California. A focus group of blind individuals will meet in southern California for an editathon.
- Circa 1995-1998 Peter a.k.a. Vid2Vid (talk · contribs) was really proud and happy to work as chief tech support for a Westchester County NY USA -based I.S.P. (internet service provider, dialup at the time) that provided a free website to Guiding Eyes for the Blind .. website here, .. a non-profit that gives trained dogs to vision-impaired or sightless folk.