Philippine Wikimedia Community User Group/Chapter Application
Application for Recognition as a Wikimedia Chapter or Thematic Organisation
The Philippine Wikimedia Community, Inc. is an affiliate organization established as Philippine Wikimedia Community User Group or PhilWiki Community (PH-WC).
On 1 June 2015, the PhilWiki Community was formed as an organization of unaffiliated Wikipedians in the Philippines. The Affiliations Committee (AffCom) of Wikimedia Foundation recognized the Community on 17 October 2015. The group's first activities in its initial period of recognition included outreach events in Minalabac and Naga City in Camarines Sur, supporting the 2015 Waray Wikimedia Forums at Greater Tacloban held at Tacloban City and Palo town both in Leyte province, and Wikipedia Takes Rinconada at Iriga, Camarines Sur.
Its first constitution and by-laws were adopted on 1 June 2016 and the first set of officers and board of trustees were elected on 28 March 2018. The community adopted its new constitution and by-laws on 21 May 2019 and it received the recognition as a non-stock non-profit company from the Securities and Exchange Commission of the Republic of the Philippines on 18 June 2019.
The Board of Trustees of the Philippine Wikimedia Community, Inc. is composed of 5 members elected at the annual meeting of members held annually on the 3rd Saturday of March. As per the by-laws, immediately after their election, the trustees formally organizes by the election of a president, who shall be a trustee, a treasurer who may or may not be a trustee, a secretary who shall be a resident and citizen of the Philippines, and other officers: vice-president and auditor. Two (2) or more positions may be held concurrently by the same officer, however no one shall act as president and secretary or as president and treasurer at the same time. The officers of the corporation shall hold office for one (1) year and until the successors are elected and qualified. The officers of the corporation shall perform functions as required by existing laws, rules and regulations.
The 2021 annual general meeting was held on the 20th day of March, from 1:47pm - 8:02 pm Philippine Time at Blackscoop Café, Naga City with live updates in Facebook messenger. The thirteen (13) members in attendance were:
- Marvin Rojo Molin
- Maffeth Opiana
- Irvin Sto. Tomas
- Ian Kenneth Orasa (proxy: Irvin)
- Ira Villanueva (proxy: Irvin)
- Joseph Ciudadano (proxy: Marvin)
- John Paul Collantes (proxy: Marvin)
- Rodel Frias (proxy: Maffeth)
- Steven Fung (proxy: Maffeth)
- Leah Banastao (proxy: Marvin)
- Ralff Nestor Nácor (proxy: Irvin)
- Maricris Gomez
- Harold Gomez
Members who did not attend the meeting were: Vanj Padilla, Ramon Olano Jr., Josefwintzent Libot, Marvin Aquino, Harry King Avenido, and Maricon Opiana. One membership is suspended.
The duly-elected as trustees to serve for a one-year term were: Ralff Nestor Nácor (9 votes - ELECTED), Maricris Gomez (7 votes - ELECTED), Irvin Sto. Tomas (7 votes - ELECTED), Leah Banastao (7 votes - ELECTED), Steven Fung (7 votes - ELECTED). Other members who received votes were: Marvin Molin (6), Ian Kenneth Orasa (3), Joseph Ciudadano (3), Ramon Olaño Jr. (2), Maffeth Opiana (2), Harold Gomez (1) and John Paul Collantes (1).
At the first board meeting of the newly-elected trustees, Ralff was unanimously elected President/Chair with Steven as Vice-President/Vice Chair. To serve as the new Treasurer is Irvin while Leah was elected as the new Secretary. Appointed officers were Joseph as the new Auditor, and Ian Kenneth as the new Public Information Officer.
Key Programs and Activities
- Advocacy - Steven Fung is the Chair of Advocacy Committee (2020-present). He is one of the founders of the user group who has been involved in the Wikimedia movement since 2007. He currently serves as Vice President and the Vice-Chair of the Board of Trustees. Once held the positions Auditor and Overseas Chapter Representative, he represented the user group at the 2018 Wikimedia Conference held in Berlin, Germany. Ramon Olaño, Jr. used to chair the committee from 2019-2020 who has been involved with the Wikimedia movement since 2007 as a contributor on Bikol Wikipedia. He represented the user group at the 2016 and 2017 Wikimedia Conference held in Berlin, Germany.
- PH-WC has engaged in various activities in the promotion of free knowledge using different platforms and through engagement with various civic and non-government organizations which share a common interest with the organization. Ramon Olaño, Jr. spearheaded collaborations namely the Mariano Perfecto Day in commemoration of contributions of the "father of Bikol and Hiligaynon literature", 150th Birth Anniversary of Tomas Arejola, and Philippine-Spanish Friendship Day Celebration held in Naga City.
- On 6 September 2019, at the Third Annual James O’Brien, SJ, Memorial Lecture Series: Preserving the Bikol Language – A Challenge to Bikolanos held at the Ateneo de Naga University in Naga City, former Advocacy Committee Chair Ramon Olaño served as one of the invited reactors. The main lecturer was Dr. Jesus Federico Hernandez, an Associate Professor at the Department of Linguistics, University of the Philippines, and is currently the Director for Training of the Linguistics Society in the Philippines. Other reactors are Fr. Wilmer Tria and Dr. Cyril Conde.
- Media promotion in television and radio programs and newspaper columns reach a wider audience and create interest among its subscribers. PhilWiki Community has appeared in a number of local media outfits while its members have been invited to share about its activities. On 27 July 2019, community members Irvin Sto. Tomas and Ramon Olaño Jr. appeared on DWOK 97.5 TV program Ini An Totoo hosted by Ernie Verdadero and Irvin Borja. The Mother Tongue-based Multilingual Education policy under the K-12 Curriculum of the Department of Education (DepEd) and Wikimedia Movement was among the topics tackled in the program. Earlier, Ramon and Irvin also went on air and talked about Bikol Wikipedia and their participation at Wikimedia Conference on Naga City-based radio stations DWRN 657 khz, and DWRJ 96.1 AM.
- On March 7, Wiki Loves Earth and Wikimedia Commons Workshop was among the topics at the Pagkarahay Art Festival 2021 organized by Kintab Artist Group, Inc. in partnership with the Local Government Unit of Minalabac and National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA held in Minalabac, Camarines Sur. PH-WC president talked about the international nature photography competition and free licensing. The 8-day art festival featured webinars, zoom and live streaming, arts exhibits, art installations, performance arts, murals, films, bands, yoga, zumba, open mic, talks and workshops on arts, literary, theatre, music and dance, bringing in the theme “Pagkarahay: Isip, Lawas, Kalag” (Healing: Mind, Body & Soul).
- Diversity - The current Chair of Diversity Committee (2020-present) is Marvin Molin. He started to actively contribute on Wikimedia Commons since joining Wiki Takes Rinconada in 2015 and he has been involved in Wikimedia Movement since then. He represented the user group at the 2019 ESEAP Wikimedia Strategy Summit held in Bangkok, Thailand. He is a member of the organizing team of WikiGap in the Philippines which aims to close the gender gap in the internet. This committee was first chaired by Irvin Sto. Tomas (2019-2020) who recently led, along with Maffeth and Marvin, the Wiki Gap Campaign in the Philippines launched on March 9, 2019 in Naga City.
- This year, the Philippines joined the global WikiGap Campaign. Participants focused on creating new articles on LGBTQ and Women related topics thru Translation. As a result, two participants made it to the top contributors, internationally.
- The Philippines is one of the world’s most linguistically diverse countries, with over 190 documented languages. Many of these regional languages are experiencing a decline in use and there is often a shortage of written material. Documentation of the vocabulary of different Philippine languages is the main goal of the project. Lingua Libre Philippines is a future project of PhilWiki Community which aims to collect audios of the vocabulary of different Philippine languages.
- Recently, in partnership with Developh Community, PH-WC president Irvin Sto. Tomas introduced the activities of the organization and answered relevant issues related to Wikipedia and the Wikimedia movement. The 1-hour WikiGAP: Closing the Digital Gender Gap discussion via livestream on March 5, 2021 to launch WikiGap in the Philippines.
- Education - Irvin Sto. Tomas (2020-present) is the Chairman of Education Committee. He has been involved with the Wikimedia movement since 2007 wherein he became an administrator of Bikol Wikipedia. Irvin Sto. Tomas represented the user group at the Wikimedia Summit held in Berlin, Germany in 2017, 2018 and 2019, and the ESEAP Wikimedia Conference held in Bali, Indonesia in 2018. He also attended the Wikimpedia+Education Conference 2019 held in San Sebastian, Basque Country in Spain. He has given talks on Bikol Wikipedia as a learning resource in Berlin, Bali, San Sebastian in Spain, and in Virac, Catanduanes.
- On 25 April 2019, PH-WC conducted an Outreach Activity in Catanduanes during the Training Workshop on Pagmidbid sa Kultura, Pagdiskubre sa Isla (rediscovering the culture of the island) attended by around fifty (50) social studies both in elementary and high school levels from Department of Education - Division of Catanduanes. The team shared about Wiki Education Program within and outside the Philippines, and Bikol Wikipedia as a learning resource. The participants were encouraged to get involved by contributing local knowledge on Wikipedia and to start local Wikipedia projects for Northern Catanduanes Bikol and Southern Catanduanes Bikol languages.
- Recently, last March 18, ten co-teachers attended a meet-up organized by Maffeth Opiana wherein she oriented the attendees with the on-going WikiGap Campaign. At least 10 of her co-teachers have participated in past activities organized by PhilWiki Community including the 10th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary in 2017, Wiki Loves Earth Philippines from 2018-2020, and WikiGap Campaign in 2020.
- Froy Beraña was the former Chairman of the committee (2019-2020). He has been involved in Wikimedia movement since 2012 and has actively contributed on Wikimedia Commons since joining Wiki Takes Rinconada in 2015. He represented the user group at the 2019 ESEAP Wikimedia Strategy Summit held in Bangkok, Thailand. In November 2018, he led the WikiTutorial program which aimed to increase the skills of existing contributors and the capacity of the PhilWiki Community. The first two sessions were also attended by college instructors of Central Bicol State University of Agriculture (CBSUA).
- On April 8, 2019, Hurop-Hurop, Huron-Huron: Usapang Panpanitikang Bikol (Reflections, Dialogues: Bikol Literature Forum) was held at Lecture Hall, Humanities Building, CBSUA. It was attended by Froy P. Beraña to share about the Bikol Wikipedia initiative as an advocacy in nurturing and preserving the Bikol language. The forum sponsored by the Central Bicol State University of Agriculture, Sentro ng Wika at Kultura and Parasurat Bikolnon, Inc. It was attended by around 50 writers, teachers and students.
- GLAM - Irvin Sto. Tomas (2020-present) is also the Chairman of GLAM Committee previously chaired by Anthony Diaz (2019-2020). He was the project lead of Wikipedia Takes Naga (2012), Wikipedia Takes Rinconada (2015-16) and Wiki Loves Monuments in the Philippines (since 2018). Thru these projects, the Community has created partnerships with different libraries in the province, namely James O'Brien SJ, Library at Ateneo de Naga University, Iriga City Public Library, and Raul S. Roco Naga City Public Library.
- Since 2016, PH-WC has collaborated with or has conducted activities at 4 different public and university libraries and a museum in Camarines Sur: Iriga City Public Library, James O'Brien SJ, Library at Ateneo de Naga University, University of Nueva Caceres E-Library, Raul S. Roco Naga City Public Library, and Museo ni Jesse Robredo. It has also collaborated with Kintab Artist Group, one of the most active organizations of visual artists in Bicol region.
- Outreach - Maffeth Opiana currently serves as the Chairman of Outreach Committee (2019-present). She has been involved in Wikimedia movement since 2015 as part of Wiki Takes Rinconada project team. She represented the user group at the 2018 ESEAP Wikimedia Conference held in Bali, Indonesia in 2018. She has led the Wiki Loves Earth in the Philippines in 2018 and 2019 which aimed to increase the collection of free-licensed photographs of natural heritage in the country.
- Aside from several photo walks, edit-a-thons have been organized to engage more participants and utilize the images gathered in Wiki Loves Earth and Monuments contests. During the Philippine-Spanish Friendship Day celebration in Naga City, PH-WC conducted a lecture focusing on Wikimedia Commons and a tutorial on adding images to Wikipedia, specifically to the Spanish Wikipedia among other editions. The Spanish Wikipedia Edit-a-thon event was graced by the Honorary Consul of Spain in Bicol who appreciated the efforts by Wikimedians and the organizers in participating in the annual celebration. An awareness on Wikipedia was raised as the editing activity was included in the promotion of the celebration, i.e. event's banners, posters, souvenir magazine and announcements.
- On 22 June 2019, an edit-a-thon during the Wiki Loves Earth in the Philippines 2019 was conducted by community members to use the images in the 2018 and 2019 contests on Wikipedia. The activity was held at Raul S. Roco Naga City Public Library.
Relationship with Other Groups
Located in the Southeast Asian region, PhilWiki Community is a member of the East Asia, Southeast Asia and the Pacific Regional Cooperation (ESEAP), a regional collaboration composed of nationalities & Wikimedia affiliates of Indonesia, Taiwan, Australia, Korea, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, China, Hong Kong, and Vietnam. Membership also include nationalities and informal communities of Brunei, Cambodia, Japan, Laos, Macau, Mongolia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Singapore, and Timor Leste (East Timor).
The organization has actively participated in different regional conferences and regional meetings since 2016:
- Wikimedia Conference 2016 (Berlin, Germany)
- ESEA Meeting 2017 and Wikimedia Conference 2017 (Berlin, Germany)
- ESEAP Meeting 2018, Asia Oceania Meeting 2018 and Wikimedia Conference 2018 (Berlin, Germany)
- ESEAP Conference 2018 (Bali, Indonesia)
- Asia-Oceania Meeting 2019, User Groups Affiliates Meeting 2019 and Wikimedia Conference 2019 (Berlin, Germany)
- Wikimedia+Education Conference 2019 (Donostria-San Sebastian, Basque Country)
- ESEAP Strategy Summit 2019 (Bangkok, Thailand)
PhilWiki Community was first represented internationally by Ramon Olaño at the Wikimedia Conference 2016 and 2017 with Irvin Sto. Tomas. In 2018, Sto. Tomas and Steven Fung participated at the Wikimedia Conference 2018. From 5-6 May 2018, Maffeth Opiana and Irvin Sto. Tomas represented the PhilWiki Community at the inaugural ESEAP Wikimedia Conference 2018 held in Bali, Indonesia.
Last June 29-30, 2019 - Froy Beraña and Marvin Molin participated at the Wikimedia ESEAP Strategy Summit 2019 in Bangkok, Thailand. The conference aimed to bring ESEAP voices to the global conversation on Movement Strategy. Community leaders discussed the most relevant strategy topics for the region across thematic areas and the Wikimedia movement’s future.
There have been several informal collaborations with members of other affiliates as well:
- Jojit Ballesteros and Bel Ballesteros of Wikimedia Philippines as Organizers during the Open Web Day ADNU 2012 and Open Web Day 2014 and Speakers during the 10th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary 2017.
- Butch Bustria of Wikimedia Philippines as Donor of reference materials for PhilWiki Community outreach activities, and as Facilitator during the Open Web Day ADNU 2012.
- Biplab Anand of Wikimedians of Nepal served as Team Consultant during the Wiki Loves Earth 2018 in the Philippines
- Bijay chaurasia of Maithili Wikimedians User Group served as Technical Consultant and Jury Member during the Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 in the Philippines
- Krishna Chaitanya Velaga of Wikipedia & Education User Group served as Team Consultant during the Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in the Philippines and 1Lib1Ref Philippines Campaign 2019
- Nabin K. Sapkota of Wikimedians of Nepal served as Selection Committee Chair during the Wiki Loves Monuments 2019 in the Philippines
Likewise, the community members extended moral support to Sinirangan Bisaya Wikimedia Community during the 2015 Waray Wikimedia Forums at Greater Tacloban; to Wikimedians of Nepal and Maithili Wikimedians User Group, organizers of Wikicamp Nepal 2018; and to Viresh Raj Sah of Hindi Wikimedians User Group, organizer of WikiSammelan 2019, in solidarity .
Criteria for Recognition
Every organization that applies for recognition as a Wikimedia Chapter or Thematic Organisation must meet nine criteria:
- Diversity of Activities
- Planning and Evaluation
- External Partnerships
- Aligned Mission
- Geographic or Thematic Focus
- Legal Structure
- Open Governance
- Active Contributor Involvement
In evaluating an applicant against these criteria, the Affiliations Committee is required to confirm that the applicant organization has demonstrated the two-year record of programmatic activity required of all potential Wikimedia chapters by the Board of Trustees, as well as the capacity to successfully carry out programmatic activities and operate as an independent Wikimedia chapter in the future.
Diversity of Activities
Planning and Evaluation
PhilWiki Community participated in the Movement Strategy prioritization events for the user group to identify what is important for implementation in 2021. From November 3 to 16, 5 board members, 4 regular members, and 4 community members participated in the discussion. As a result, the top recommendations marked as the most important are: Improve User Experience, Innovate in Free Knowledge, Ensure Equity in Decision-making, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development.
- On what human capacity and / or financial resources do the user group need to work on implementation, the user group responded: Dedicated staff coming from the community to do certain tasks which is beyond the capacity of our editors and volunteers in order to maintain the good status of Philippine Wikimedia Community as a non-profit organization; legal, medical and economic relief support in times of persecution, health risks, natural and man-made calamities including the threats of climate change; office space with essential facilities for trainings and regular meetings in order to fully operate as a non-profit organization; local funding in order to support its initiatives, individual's and other organization's projects, programs and activities that promote free, responsibly open-content resources and reference materials in English and Philippine languages; scholarships in short-term courses such as management and leadership skills training, event's management and organizing, media and communication.
At the PhilWiki Community Year End Meeting held on December 18, 2020 at Blackscoop Cafe in Naga City, with 3 board members, 4 regular members and 3 community members in attendance, the Annual Plan 2021 was finalized and formally adopted.
We have had several partners in the academia, government and non-government organizations through various GLAM and Outreach activities, namely: 1Lib1Ref in the Philippines, Edit-a-thons at Libraries and Universities, Wikipedia Takes the City Photo Exhibits, and Wikipedia Loves Rinconada, Wiki Loves Earth Philippines and Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines.
- University of Nueva Caceres in Naga City - 1Lib1Ref Philippines Campaign 2019 was held at the University Library in partnership with the academic institution where around 30 librarians and library science students got acquainted by proper referencing on Wikipedia. Six years earlier, Open Web Day UNC was organized by Wikimedia Philippines and Bikol Community (the predecessor of PhilWiki Community), in partnership with the university and the Bicol Region Librarians Council (BRLC). More than 30 participants coming from different parts of the Bicol region attended the event which aimed to improve articles in Wikipedia especially on the Bikol language edition.
- Ateneo de Naga University in Naga City - several activities were held in partnership with the university. The most recent one was the 10th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary in 2017. In 2012, Open Web Day ADNU was organized by Wikimedia Philippines and Bikol Community (the predecessor of PhilWiki Community), in partnership with the university and the Bicol Region Librarians Council (BRLC). Library information science students, librarians and professionals attended the workshops held at James J. O’Brien S.J. Library.
- Central Bicol State University of Agriculture in Pili, Camarines Sur - WikiTutorial 2018-2019 was conducted in various venues including the university. Twenty (20) content editors participated in the tutorial, meetings and activities during this period along with educators who learned the basic editing and Wikimedia movement in the Philippines. CBSUA also served as a partner during the 10th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary in 2017.
- Department of Education - Division of Catanduanes in Virac, Catanduanes - As part of its Outreach Activity in Catanduanes, the PhilWiki Community shared about Wiki Education Program within and outside the Philippines, and Bikol Wikipedia as a learning resource at the Training Workshop on Pagmidbid sa Kultura, Pagdiskubre sa Isla (rediscovering the culture of the island) attended by around fifty (50) Social Studies teachers both in elementary and high school levels from Division of Catanduanes. Participants were encouraged to get involved by contributing local knowledge on Wikipedia and to start local Wikipedia projects for Northern Catanduanes Bikol and Southern Catanduanes Bikol languages.
- Provincial Government of Catanduanes and Catanduanes State University (CSU) in Virac, Catanduanes - Wiki Loves Earth Philippines outreach activity was conducted in the province on 18 May 2018. Wikipedia promotion was done at a writing workshop organized by the university and the provincial government. The team discussed Wikipedia particularly the Central Bikol edition and also invite the attendees to participate in Wiki Loves Earth Philippines. Later, photo walk with some of the workshop participants was conducted at Binurong Point with assistance from the Office of the Governor and the Tourism Office.
- City Government of Iriga and Iriga City Public Library in Iriga City, Camarines Sur - Wikipedia Takes Rinconada aimed to aims to capture landmarks and cultural icons of the district collectively known as Rinconada which is home to over 500,000 Rinconada Bikol speakers. The city government supported the activity which led to follow-up activities. The Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 2 was organized at the Iriga City Public Library on 16 January 2016. It was the second editing workshop for Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia after the first one held at Yellow Cab Pizza, Magsaysay Ave., Naga City on 5 August 2014 by the Bikol Community in order to develop the test project.
- Wikipedia 15 was celebrated through a tutorial on how to use the images on Wikipedia which Wikipedia Takes Rinconada participants took during the photography and video hunt from 19 December 2015 to 9 January 2016. The City Government of Iriga through the City Tourism Office proposed a week-long photograph exhibit and a street photography during the celebration of Tinagba Festival. Sixty-five (65) free-licensed photographs selected from the images of Rinconada landmarks and cultural icons captured during Wikipedia Takes Rinconada were exhibited from February 4 - 12, 2016 at Iriga City Public Library in Iriga City, Camarines Sur. The exhibit would be permanently displayed in the library. Local Wikimedians and new volunteers were also given free access during the Tinagba Festival grand street parade on 11 February 2016.
- City Government of Naga and Raul S. Roco Naga Public Library in Naga City - On 7 June 2019, formally requested a working space at Raul S. Roco Library thru Naga City Mayor John G. Bongat. The community formally register a non-stock, non-profit company in the Securities and Exchange Commission on 18 June 2019. An edit-a-thon was then conducted by PhilWiki Community members to use the images in the Wiki Loves Earth in the Philippines 2018 and 2019 contests on Wikipedia. The activity was held on 22 June, 2019 at the city public library.
- The city government has been a partner since June 2012 when Bikol Community organized Wikipedia Takes Naga in celebration of the 5th Bikol Wikipedia Day along with Ateneo de Naga University, Parasurat Bikolnon and Wikimedia Philippines.
PhilWiki Community engages in various activities in the promotion of free knowledge using different platforms. As part of its inclusive and pluralistic focus, the organization is currently has engagement with various civic and non-government organizations:
- Sumaro Bikolnon - As part of its community outreach activities, it has engaged with organization which share a common interest with PhilWiki Community. It has collaborated in various celebrations such as the Mariano Perfecto Day in commemoration of contributions of the "father of Bikol and Hiligaynon literature", 150th Tomas Arejola birth anniversary celebration, and Philippine-Spanish Friendship Day celebration held in Naga City. Sumaro Bikolnon is a cultural organization which advocates the promotion of Bikol history and culture. Founded in 2007, its current president is Ramon Olaño who happens to be one of the board members of PhilWiki Community.
- Nueva Caceres Heritage Movement - NCHM is a heritage and historical organization which advocates the preservation of built heritage and local history of Bikol. Founded in 2015, it is a vibrant group of architects, writers, and enthusiasts who are passionate in the preservation of local heritage. In 2015, the organization supported Wikipe Takes Rinconada. Likewise, PhilWiki Community has engaged in a number of activities organized by the NCHM.
- Kintab Artists Group - Kintab Artists Group is a network of visual artists, writers and other artists which promotes different forms of artistic expressions. In 2019, the group conducted an art exhibit participated by some members of PhilWiki Community who are also into arts. Wiki Loves Art is a future project of PhilWiki Community which aims to collect and digitize newly-created art works on portraits of notable people in the field of arts, history among others, living and historical, and add them on Wikipedia articles of notable people who do not have free-licensed images, whose existing or extant photographs are not in public domain, whose portraits can only be produced through artistic expression.
- Artletics, Inc. - On 1 to 3 June 2018, at a workshop conducted by the art group based in Cavite, a lecture on Wikimedia Foundation Grants to the participants composed of artists and cultural workers was done by Irvin Sto. Tomas. He also promoted Wiki Loves Earth Philippines contest to the attendees who are from Cagayan, Cavite, Laguna, Camarines Sur and Albay provinces. Promotional leaflets and stickers were handed out to the participants after the talk. Possible collaborations which came up include an editing workshop among writers in Cavite and participation in upcoming activities namely Wiki Loves Monuments and Wiki Loves Art.
- Parasurat Bikolnon - The regional writers organization was a partner back in June 2012 when Bikol Community organized Wikipedia Takes Naga in celebration of the 5th Bikol Wikipedia Day.
- United Architecture of the Philippines - On 21 August 2018, Architecture students of Bicol State College of Applied Sciences and Technology (BISCAST) in Naga City led by Froy Beraña, Maffeth Opiana and Ian Kennth Orasa conducted a photo walk within Camarines Sur. The whole-day activity in Camarines Sur which had a theme LITRATO: Capturing The Historical Growth Through Synergy of Cultural Diversity covered the towns of Calabanga, Bombon, Magarao, Canaman, and Naga City.
As a recognized affiliate organization, the Philippine Wikimedia Community (PH-WC) is a free, open and vibrant organization of Filipino volunteers and content editors from the Philippines and all over the world, who believe in the mission and vision of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
In the articles of incorporation of Philippine Wikimedia Community Inc., as a non-stock, non profit organization, it aims to initiate, promote, participate, create, organize, develop and engage in projects, programs and activities that promote free, responsibly open-content resources and reference materials, in English and in different Philippine languages through cost-effective, creative and innovative projects and partnerships with local government units, government agencies, academia, non-governmental organizations, and the private sector.
The Philippines is one of the world’s most linguistically diverse countries, with over 190 documented languages. However, under the 1987 Constitution, only Tagalog (officially called ‘Filipino’) and English are recognized as the country’s official languages. As a result, many of these regional languages are experiencing a decline in use and there is often a shortage of written material.
PhilWiki Community (PH-WC) aims to promote and increase the daily use of Philippine languages and deploy Wikipedia as a resource and medium for the dissemination of open knowledge and learning through these languages. It represents and supports the activities of the various Philippine Wikipedias, among other Wikimedia projects, in the country’s most widely-spoken but nevertheless marginalized languages including, Cebuano, Waray, Ilocano, Bikol, Kapampangan, Zamboanga Chavacano and Pangasinan, as well as the national language Tagalog (Filipino), and projects which are still in incubation namely Aklan, Capiznon, Hiligaynon, Kinaray-a, Maranao, Miraya Bikol, Pandan Bikol, Rinconada Bikol, and Tausug. By giving these regional languages an internationally recognized and prestigious platform for their users, our Community hopes to raise their profiles and remove any stigma attached to speaking and using them.
In less than five years since its foundation, PH-WC has grown from strength to strength as evidenced by the numerous activities it has organized and participated in all over the Philippines to further its aim of promoting the nation’s many languages and cultures, as well as the growth of the various Philippine Wikipedias. As part of its inclusive and pluralistic focus, the organization is currently presiding over various outreach programs aimed at reaching out to marginalized groups in the Philippines. It always welcomes volunteers and participants who share our broad vision and encourage everyone with an interest to take part.
Geographic Focus (Chapters) / Thematic Focus (Thematic Organizations)
The organization which is based in Naga City focuses its activities within the national borders of the Philippines. Likewise, it also focuses on the cultural and linguistic diversity of the Philippines.
Community outreach activities for Wiki Loves Earth in the Philippines 2018 were conducted in Albay, Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur, Cavite, Catanduanes, and Sorsogon. On its 2nd edition, photo walks were organized in Batangas, Catanduanes, and Masbate. For Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 in the Philippines, provinces covered were Albay, Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur, Cavite, Quezon Province, and Quezon City.
In its initial period of recognition were outreach events: Offline Wikipedia DVD Distribution held at Minalabac Central School, Minalabac town in Camarines Sur, supporting edit-a-thons namely the 3rd Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thon held at Catbalogan in Samar, 4th Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thon held at Catarman in Northern Samar and 2015 Waray Wikimedia Forums at Greater Tacloban held in Tacloban City and Palo town both in Leyte province, and Wikipedia Takes Rinconada launched in Iriga City, Camarines Sur.
FOURTH: That the term for which said corporation is to exist is 50 years from and after the date of issuance of the certificate of incorporation;
FIFTH: That the names, nationalities and residences of the incorporators are as follows:
|Irvin P. Sto. Tomas||Filipino||Canaman, Camarines Sur|
|Froy P. Beraña||Filipino||Iriga City|
|Anthony B. Diaz||Filipino||Camaligan, Camarines Sur|
|Maffeth C. Opiana||Filipino||Naga City|
|Ramon O. Olaño, Jr.||Filipino||Naga City|
SIXTH: That the number of trustees of the corporation shall be ; and the names, nationalities 5 and residences of the first trustees of the corporation are as follows:
|Irvin P. Sto. Tomas||Filipino||Canaman, Camarines Sur|
|Froy P. Beraña||Filipino||Iriga City|
|Anthony B. Diaz||Filipino||Camaligan, Camarines Sur|
|Maffeth C. Opiana||Filipino||Naga City|
|Ramon O. Olaño, Jr.||Filipino||Naga City|
Further, the Articles of Incorporation states:
EIGHTH: That Ramon Odarve Olano has been elected by the members as Treasurer of the corporation to act as such until his successor is duly elected and qualified in accordance with the by-laws, and that as such Treasurer, he has been authorized to receive for and in the name and for the benefit of the corporation, all contributions or donations paid or given by the members.
NINTH: That no part of its income is distributable as dividends to its members, trustees or officers subject to the provisions of the Corporation Code of the Philippines on dissolution. Provided, That any profit obtained by the association as an incident to its operation shall, whenever necessary or proper shall be used for the furtherance of the purposes enumerated in Article II, subject to the provision of Title XI of the Corporation Code of the Philippines.
The Philippine Wikimedia Community, Inc., an affiliate organization established as Philippine Wikimedia Community User Group or PhilWiki Community (PH-WC), is a free, open and vibrant organization of Filipino volunteers and content editors from the Philippines and all over the world, who believe in the mission and vision of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. Individuals who are interested in taking an active role in the working group, can signify their intention to join the group.
Active Contributor Involvement
|Active Contributors - Username (Tenure; Edit count)|
Below 300 contributions
Rationale for Recognition
An organization which applies for recognition as a Wikimedia Chapter or Thematic Organisation is required to clearly articulate how recognition will enhance its ability to further the charitable mission of the Wikimedia Foundation and the global Wikimedia movement.
We want to enjoy the benefits which Wikimedia Chapters enjoy including the right to represent Wikimedia at public events related to the group's scope and its interests, to have wider opportunities for funding sources aside from the Wikimedia Foundation's grants program, among others.
The recognition will benefit our organization in many ways, such as enhancing its ability to build partnerships being an affiliate organization of a US-based Foundation; and attract funders and volunteers being a legal entity with a track record and networks of organizations.
- Kintab Artist Group, Inc. holds 2nd Pagkarahay Art Festival amid the pandemic by Ana-Liza S. Macatangay. Philippine Information Agency. Published on March 10, 2021
- WikiGap: Closing the Digital Gender Gap YouTube. Uploaded on March 6, 2021