Wikimania 2016 bids/Esino Lario/Budget/Tasks
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cute and cuddly, boys. Cute and cuddly! Skipper, Madagascar, 2005.
- fiscal control policy
- spelling out who is authorized to incur expenses and by what process expenses are incurred
- collect invoices or receipts that explain what was purchased, from whom, when, and for how much.
- fixed expenses.
- variable expenses (change according to the number of participants, typically calculated per person)
- From the beginning of the bidding process through the end of Wikimania, you will need to prepare and maintain some form of budget.
- The bid budget should also reflect core (absolutely necessary) expenses and potential extra expenses (such as for a field trip that might only happen if funding is received).
- The best budgets embrace the principle of conservatism: maximum expenses and minimum revenue are predicted.
- Good budgets also include a contingency fund to account for an unexpected surge in expenses.
- your budget is an opportunity to impress (or frighten) the jury. Put plenty of effort into it—demonstrate to the jury that you have the capabilities to host a large, expensive conference. consider what your goals are for this Wikimania and also consider the needs of past conferences. Review the budgets of past conferences and adjust for your conference's expected attendance, as well as for the costs of doing business in your city and country.
- Wikimania 2011 budget summery
- Wikimania 2012 budget summery
- in past years, individual chapters, private organizations, and the Wikimedia Foundation have all sponsored scholarships.
- While the Wikimedia Foundation provides most scholarships, the conference team can also sponsors to provide scholarships, and they can provide them out of their general fund if they so choose.
- For Wikimania 2012, scholarships were provided almost exclusively by the Foundation and the chapters, with the Wikimania 2012 conference itself funding scholarships for a select few per its VIP policy.
Services and technical support
- Reservations of the accommodation with negotiation of prices.
- Sponsor names on the badges.
- Consider making a deal with a taxi or shared van company to provide transportation for attendees from the airport. Wikimania 2011 made a deal with a shared van transportation company. the van would transport Wikimania attendees only from the airport to the different hotels and dorms for a fixed rate and no baggage charges. Those riding the van would show this flyer to the driver who would honor the deal. This allowed for more flexibility than a higher capacity bus that would pick people up at intervals, and it was also cheaper since the attendees paid for the cost of transportation.
- Wikimania team can work with the hostel to provide each attendee with a reloadable transit card. Attendees were given bus schedules and were told where to get on and off the bus.
- Have at least one person with a mobile phone, provided by the conference, that serves as the point of contact in case of emergencies. For Wikimania 2012, the volunteer coordinator was entrusted with a pay-as-you-go Android smartphone so that all modes of communication were covered.
- Wikimania 2012 partnered with the Wikimedia Foundation, debuting its Wikimedia Store at the conference, to print special edition conference t-shirts that attendees could receive with a special voucher.
- For the room equipment outside contractor and/or work with your video production company.
- Conference bags are a good opportunity for sponsor co-branding—sponsors like giving out swag
- Projectors in each room
- a mixer in each room for video recording purposes.
- Mac adapters available; if not, the easiest thing is to buy a few for the conference (set aside a few hundred dollars for this).
- Consider renting a few laptops for use during the conference.
- Having ample power strips in each room allow people to plug their computers. However, be sure to have clearance from the venue beforehand, since too many power strips can be a fire hazard.
- Have plenty of spare parts on hand, especially spare batteries for the wireless microphones, and some mac adaptors for the projectors.
- The conference team should have a rapid communication mechanism to use during the conference. Walkie-talkies or even cell phones are good for this purpose.
- Food and beverage is your biggest budget item
- But does it have to be?