|The full description of Wikimania Esino Lario as it was presented for the 2016 bid.|
Wikimania Esino Lario is a site-specific event designed to bring together closely our community and to produce an impact beyond our event. In the small village of Esino Lario, Wikimania reconquers the strongly interactive nature of gatherings, where people meet, discuss and collaborate together during a three-days structured conference.
- City proposed: Esino Lario, Lake Como area, Province of Lecco, Lombardy Region, Italy. Esino Lario on OpenStreetMap.
- Proposed dates: Last week of June 2016. 21–28 June 2016.
- Pre-conference wednesday 22 June - thursday 23 June 2016
- Conference friday 24 June - sunday 26 June 2016
- Post-conference monday 27 June 2016.
- Number of participants: Event designed for 1’000 participants.
- Request to Wikimedia Foundation: 250.000 $.
- Contact person: the team, the institutions involved, Iolanda Pensa.
- Wikimania Esino Lario on facebook (essentially in Italian but we appreciate "I like"s :)
- @WikimaniaEsino (English)
Esino Lario is a mountain village just above Lake Como, a renowned Italian tourist destination. Immersed in the Grigna mountains, Esino Lario has around 780 inhabitants, and it reaches around 4'000-6'000 presences during the summer. Esino Lario is located in the Province of Lecco, Lombardy Region in the north of Italy, facing Ticino in Switzerland; it is located 100 km from Milan, 40 km from Lecco and 12 km from Varenna. The municipality of Esino Lario, and the near-by municipalities of Perledo, Varenna and Lierna are one administrative unit, and they share commons services.
The major city near Esino Lario is Milan, and Esino Lario is served by Malpensa airport - the main Italian international airport - Milano Linate and Milano-Bergamo Orio al Serio, two relevant airport for Italian and European low cost flights. Esino Lario is located 12 km (800 m in altitude) above Varenna. To reach Esino Lario there are two provincial streets: one from Varenna and one from Bellano-Parlasco (Strada della Valsassina). The transport necessities of Wikimania Esino Lario are met by increasing transport between Varenna and Esino Lario and by organizing direct buses from the airports in the main days of arrivals and departures.
The most convenient airports to plan your trip to Esino Lario are Milano Malpensa (MXP), Milano Linate (LIN) and Milano-Bergamo Orio al Serio (BGY). There are quite a few low cost flights in particular from Italy and Europe; have a look also at Mediana airlines for low cost flights from Africa.
During Wikimania Esino Lario a direct bus service between the airports and Esino Lario is organized. Please note that once you have arrived in Esino Lario everything is within walking distance: differently from big cities in which you need to take public transport to reach your accommodation or the venue, in Esino Lario accommodation and the venues are all there, located in the near surroundings. Direct buses from the airports take the Valsassina road and carry up to 50 people each. Other options to reach Esino Lario from the airports are public transport (please find below the directions) and car rental.
|Airport||Typology||Directions with public transport||Time with public transport||Price public transport||Time by car/direct bus|
|Milano Malpensa Terminal 1 (MXP)||International airport, long distance-European and national flights.||
|Milano Malpensa Terminal 2 (MXP)||International airport, European and national flights, low cost flights.||
|Milano Linate (LIN)||International airport, mainly European and national flights.||
|Milano-Bergamo Orio al Serio (BGY)||Mainly low cost flights.||
To provide an idea of the costs, we report below fares referenced with a departure date in 20 June 2014 from the origin airport, with a return trip leaving Esino Lario on the 30 June 2014 (round trip ticket).
Busses from the airport
Depending on the company, a bus from the airports to Esino Lario with 50 seats is around 450 (average cost), which means that if the bus is completely full it costs less than 10 euro per person. We will have to increase the cost per person to allow busses to travel also if they are not complexity full, but even if doubled the cost is very reasonable in particular for people arriving in Malpensa airport (public transport costs already €18.85). Managing transport for the airports will require to include the booking in the registration form. We will define as early as possible a timetable for the busses with maybe two main departure times, to allow people to consider it when booking their flights.
- Consorzio Trasporti Lombardi https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Qyy_nzLhZEdXptSXhmdG1vWE0/edit
- Autoservizio Cattaneo SRL https://docs.google.com/document/d/15MDdK4SNxUUxamx9Cg6BcS1hRu91XX05VbmdtcDOFKY/edit
- Spreafico (1 bus 35 seats; 3 busses 50 seats) https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Qyy_nzLhZEOGk2VnRfeURfV28/edit
- SAL https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Qyy_nzLhZERlpBcXQ2N0E0R0E/edit
From Italy and Europe you can travel to Esino Lario by train through Milan, which is well-connected to Italian and to several European cities. The closes railway station to Esino is called Varenna-Esino (12 km from Esino); from the railway station you can take a bus or a taxi.
The railway station Varenna-Esino is at walking distance from the lake and from the port of Varenna; the building of the railway station is actually located in Perledo and it hosts the Perledo tourist office. There are trains from Milan approximately every hour; direct trains every 2 hours (and every hour at peak hours) leaving from Milan Central Station. The last train from Milan Central Station to Varenna is at 21:20 (arrival at 22:35); the next train is at 6:20 in the morning. The last train from Varenna to Milan Central Station is at 22:21 (arriving at 23:30); the next train is at 5:26 in the morning. Time and prices of trains on Trenitalia website.
||1h 40 minutes.||8,85 €||Milano Stazione Centrale has direct trains from
If you are traveling in particular from Italy, Switzerland and Austria, it can be convenient to travel also by car, rented car or rented busses. Please note that buses should not exceed 35 seats on the Varenna-Esino road whereas 50-seat buses can take the Valsassina road. It is possible to rent cars from Milan and from the airports. Among the main car rental companies AVIS, Europecar, Hertz.
|Milano||SS36 + Provincial road 62 + Provincial road 65 (Strada della Valsassina)||99||61||1h39|
|Lecco||SS36 + Provincial road 62 + Provincial road 65 (Strada della Valsassina)||43.2||26||51 minutes|
|Varenna||Via per Esino||12,4||7||26 minutes|
From Varenna it is possible to navigate on Lake Como to many destinations, among which Abbadia Lariana, Argegno, Bellagio, Bellano, Careno, Cernobbio, Colico, Como, Gravedona, Isola Comacina, Lecco, Mandello, Menaggio, Piona, Pognana, Torno and Tremezzo. The ferry-boats between Varenna, Menaggio, Bellagio and Cadenabbia allow the transport of both cars and buses. Fast rides are more expensive than regular transport. Boat rides are also a beautiful and cheap way to enjoy sightseeing on Lake Como. Time and frequency of boats on Lake Como on navigazionelaghi website.
|Menaggio*||15 minutes (7 minutes for passengers only - fast transport, more expensive)||€4.60 one-way; €15 one day. Car+driver: €8.60-€14.40|
|Bellagio*||15 minutes||€4.60 one-way; €15 one day. Car+driver: €8.60-€14.40|
Busses (increased local transport)
Esino Lario is connected by bus to Varenna through the public line Bellano-Varenna-Perledo-Esino Lario. Time of the buses on LT Lecco Trasporti website (SAL Servizi Automobilistici Lecchesi S.r.l. - Linea Bellano-Esino Lario D21; info 800.011.840 / Tel. +39 0341.363148). The timetable of buses is organized to wait for the train to arrive (normally trains from Milan). During Wikimania Busses between Varenna and Esino Lario will be increased during Wikimania to meet the needs of the participants.
|Varenna||Esino Lario||40 minutes||€2.10|
According to the local company managing the public transport, the cost of the ride Varenna-Perledo-Esino is 220 euro; the cost of the public service is below the actual cost because supported by the Province of Lecco. The option which appears to be the most convent is to book a series of busses with 35 seats for the day to have them making round trips. Of course transport can also be managed managed by car/taxi and minibuses. For 35 seats busses a round trip takes approximately 100 minutes (40 minutes to go, 40 minutes to come back and an extra 20 minutes to included).
We expect different kind of flows:
- a flow associated to arrivals and departures (people based in Italy, participants traveling by train and boat - in particular from Wikimania Takes Lake Como and some participants from Lugano)
- a flow coming from the railway station (in particular people arriving with direct trains from Milan on Saturday and Sunday)
- a regular flow of participants who have their accommodation in Varenna or organizers-volnteers based in the area.
The cost of local transport can be directly paid by users, or it can be fully or partially paid by our budget. We have also estimated the cost for a series of minibuses in case they can be useful during the event for runners or for short rides within Esino Lario. It is relevant to mention that some local city councils own minibuses used for the transport of students; we can ask if these busses can be made available for Wikimania at a reduced cost.
- Consorzio Trasporti Lombardi https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Qyy_nzLhZEdXptSXhmdG1vWE0/edit
- Autoservizio Cattaneo SRL https://docs.google.com/document/d/15MDdK4SNxUUxamx9Cg6BcS1hRu91XX05VbmdtcDOFKY/edit
- Spreafico (1 bus 35 seats; 3 busses 50 seats) https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Qyy_nzLhZEOGk2VnRfeURfV28/edit
- SAL https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Qyy_nzLhZERlpBcXQ2N0E0R0E/edit
|Travel||Estimated time for a roundtrip in minutes||Estimated roundtrips per day||Number of busses||Number of people per bus||Total displacement of people|
|Inside Esino Lario||30||30||4||8||960|
|Expense||Number||Days||Cost/Unit||Total in euro||Total in dollars|
|Buses to intensify the service between Varanna-Esino||5||7||€ 450||€15.750||$21.616,72|
|Minubus 8 places||4||€ 400||€1.600||$2.195,98|
|Total amount planned in the estimated costs||€17.350||$23.812,70|
This hypothesis does not take into consideration normal flows (below 35 or 70 people) but it focuses on the exceptional peaks of Wikimania Esino Lario.
|Varenna-Esino Lario||Expected participants||Wikimania Takes Lake Como||Wikimania Takes Lake Como||Wikimania Takes Lake Como||Wikimania Takes Lake Como||Pre-conference||Pre-conference||Conference||Conference||Conference||Post-conference||Post-conference|
|Organizers Esino Lario||100|
|Organizers from the territory||50||25||50||50|
|Attendees from Italy||50||5||35||10||40||10|
|Occasional visitors (conference days)||100|
|Occasional visitors (conference days)||150||30||100||100|
|Hotel guests in Varenna||53||53||53||53|
|Expected travelers by train||29||37||24||36||6|
|Total extra flow Varenna-Esino Lario||633||114||72||168||203||347||71||31|
|Number of extra rids (considering no cars)||35||3||2||5||6||10||2||1|
|Number of extra rides (considering cars)||1||1||2||2||2||1||1|
Parking need to be managed during the conference. There will be runners, vans, bus stops, busses and cars to park for visitors and attendees.
- Runners and vans. Runners and vans will need parking specifically reserved for them.
- Bus stops. Presumably we will have between 3 and 5 bus stops.
- Private parking. In particular during the week-end visitors by car can increase (please refer to the hypothesis of number of participants). Some apartments we will use have private parking; parking is also available at Villa Rogo - Pime. There are some parking in the centre of Esino Lario but we will not encourage visitors to use them during the conference; we will rather ask permission to use the industrial area of Bigallo and streets managed by the city council; Cainallo and Ortanella can provide parking but transport inside Esino Lario needs to be managed (15 minutes van ride from and to). We didn't jet explored the possibility of parking cars on streets managed by the Province of Lecco.
- Busses. If busses remain in Esino Lario they can be parked at night in the industrial area of Bigallo (we need to ask permission).
Please note that we have a partnership with the city council and we are in contact with the provincial administration. It is possible for Wikimania Esino Lario to close streets and squares to the traffic, and to discuss with the province about how to manage circulation on provincial streets during the event. Within Esino Lario streets are managed by the city council (i.e. via Montefiori, the street to Cainallo and Ortanella, the industrial area, and all the streets in the centre); the two streets coming from Varenna and Valsassina (and passing through Esino Lario) are provincial streets.
We plan to set an info point at the Varenna-Esino railway station. We still need to arrange it but the Varenna-Esino railway station is a building of the Perledo city council which already hosts the tourist office. According to the hypothesis of flaws it is reasonable to create an info point also at the Airport Malpensa in the two days of main arrivals. The reception in Esino Lario will also serve as info point.
Optical fiber reaches Esino Lario and it is distributed using ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line) over existing local telephone network wires. In order to properly serve the conference with connectivity as per required by Wikimedia in the Wikimania Handbook, an ad hoc network has been designed. Such a network responds to Wikimedia core values (e.g. openness, freedom, neutrality). The network will furthermore partly represent the legacy to Esino Lario from Wikimania, thus providing a sustainable telecommunication infrastructure for the people living in the village.
- We have started the discussion with Telecom Italia – the major Italian communication company – for the technical support to Esino Lario connectivity during Wikimania; presentation of the project to the head of the brand development projects (positive feedback), introduction of the project to the managers; the project will be evaluated in 2015 (according to the company fiscal year plan). Telecom Italia owns and manages the optical fiber reaching Esino Lario.
- Under 100 meters, Optical fiber can be distributed using ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line) over existing local telephone network wires with good performance. we have identified the position of the buildings according to their distance to the arrival of the optical fiber and the presence of the local telephone network wires https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Kv5M2tciY0n_vh64Ja5-Lx5L7RnGgGhBYVzFaf0UQbI/edit#gid=1240151931.
- This backhaul link can provide Internet access to be shared via an open, free and neutral wireless mesh network. Such serverless network con provide Internet service on the whole territory of Esino Lario (open space, accommodation, restaurants and bars).
- Single wired/wireless (up to 1Gb) point-to-point links can ensure high quality Internet service in the various venues where the main Wikimania events will be held and it can prevent contention/congestion issues during heavy user demand.
The presence of the optical fiber in Esino Lario is a reassuring asset. Further discussion with Telecom Italia will define the best technical implementation for the connectivity. Other options have been mentioned in the current discussion; the Telecom site-visit and check will allow to select the most appropriate and efficient solution.
It has been suggested to consider a backup plan in case the connectivity does not respond to the needs of the hackathon; we have contacted the Politecnico di Milano – a university with very good ICT capacities and spaces; in the worst scenario the backup plan is feasible and it guarantees also the implementation of the hackathon, the Wikimania session with the highest connectivity needs.
|Device||Function||Unit cost||No. of units||Total in euro||Total in dollars||Additional notes|
|RJ45 Cable (optimized for outdoor use)||Distribute Internet connection via wired cables||€50 / 100m||20||€1.000,00||$1.372,49|
|Cable channel||Channels to isolate wired cables from outdoor||€0.6 / 1m||2000||€1.200,00||$1.646,99|
|Ramped cable protector||Protect ethernet cables temporarily installed on public roads||60||30||€1.800,00||$2.470,48|
|Cable connector||Allow linking cables to cover distances > 100m||0,7||30||€21,00||$28,82|
|Direct access to Internet backhaul (via optical fiber)||Provision of direct access to Internet for the duration of the event||€4500 (estimate)||1||€4.500,00||$6.176,21||Estimated cost|
|UPS||Provision of power backup in case of blackout for key devices||250||4||€1.000,00||$1.372,49|
|Server||Small server for local operations (e.g. registration, network backup||2000||€2.000,00||$2.744,98||We can also not use it but we prefer to include it in the budget|
|Wireless mesh radios||Nodes of the mesh network||100||30||€3.000,00||$4.117,47|
|Point to point 1Gb link among hotspots||Provision of high bandwidth link among the main venues of the event||€2'000||6||€12.000,00||$16.469,88||Links which are redundant with the cable links. Among those, 3 can be used from the main hub to the sport hall, collaborative space and former cinema; 2 can bue used to link Villa Rogo and the industrial area of Bigallo. It is also possible to not use cables for safety reasons (the cost is 2'000 euro per link, with a 10 km range).|
|Wireless Router||(Wireless) Distribution of Internet service across computer networks||200||22||€4.400,00||$6.038,96||Included 6 for the sport hall, 4 for the collaborative space, 3 for the other venues (primary school, museum, city hall and former cinema).|
|Switch (24 port), unmanaged||Connection of devices together on a computer network||100||18||€1.800,00||$2.470,48||Included 3 for the venue|
|Data center hosting rental||Rental of space in a data center (e.g. Moresi) to facilitate the upload of video shot at Wikimania||€4.000,00||$5.489,96||Estimated cost not based on pre-invoice|
|Total amount planned in the estimated costs||€40.000,00||$54.899,60|
We designed the event to have the majority of the attendees living and sleeping in Esino Lario. The hosting capacity of Esino Lario is far beyond its 800 inhabitants and it is linked to its touristic economy. The majority of the apartments belong to the people of Esino Lario who rent them; there are few hotels (one of them fully equipped for people with special needs), there are some accommodations structured as dorms and there is space for camping and caravans. All accommodation in Esino Lario is inexpensive and simple; there are no 4 stars hotels, which are available in Varenna (20–40 minutes ride from Esino Lario). The accommodation is managed by Catherine de Senarclens and the team of the Esino Lario tourist office (biographies of the team).
Apartments in Esino Lario
|Last update||Number of apartments||Location||Beds||Typology||Regular prize/person||Number of owner|
|11 March 2014||Almost 70 apartments.||Esino Lario||414 beds confirmed||Private apartments and houses.||Normally rented for the season or per year.||Around 60 private owners (including B&B Rainbow House). At the moment we only asked owners of apartments living in Esino Lario.|
The apartments are quite diverse; the majority are flats and a large number are in Via Adamello, via Dante, via Castagneto and via alle Grigne. There are also some villas which has been made available and one apartment in Villaggio Riva with swimming pool.
Out of the current apartments, there are apartments normally rented to tourists and managed by the Tourist Office (kept vacant for the event); another flats are private homes made especially available for Wikimania international participants. The apartments normally rented to tourists and managed by the Tourist Office are in total 86 (according to the recorded numbers); at the moment around half of them have confirmed availability for Wikimania. Since they are normally rented those apartments do no present particular problems and the owners are used to manage them. The flats and houses made especially available for Wikimania international participants can present some specific situations; some of them have electricity disconnected and some owners provide the apartments but they can not manage the bedding (or - since they provide the apartments for free - we do not want to ask them to manage the beddings). The reimbursement is planned to cover the necessary expenses (i.e. necessary copies of the keys, reinstalling the electricity which is only 32 euro/44 $ - we already checked with the electricity company). For the apartments and houses for which is needed, we will use the reimbursement to cover in a centralized way the costs for bedding and cleaning; in particular we will do it for apartments which are provided to us for free.
In case the bid is successful we will proceed with a specific census of the apartments which will be done by a specific person, visiting the apartments and collecting the following information: address, geographic coordinates, photos to document the status, situation of electricity, situation of hot water (and amount of liters), situation of heating, availability of sheets, covers and towels, necessary to manage the cleaning, bathrooms, number of beds (single, double, condition of the beds), use of the kitchen, use of the laundry, amenities, available keys and necessary keys, emergency numbers, parking, estimated reimbursement and information about the management of the reimbursement.
Dorms in Esino Lario
|Image||Accommodation||Distance from the venue||Size||Type||Owner|
|Scout centre / Ristoro||20 minutes walk from the centre.||55 beds, 4 bathrooms inside the building, 1 bathroom outside the building. The dorm is a simple and clean accommodation in building with kitchen, 2 large living rooms and a garden. To provide a comfortable accommodation we will reduce the number of guest per room (at the moment there are 5 rooms with 8 beds). In the summery of the accommodation we have already removed 20 beds (the list includes only 35 beds).||Dorm||Private rented by a non profit.|
|Antropos/former-La Colonia||20 minutes walk, trails from the centre.||20 beds (old info online). We do not have confirmation of those beds and at the moment we do not know if this accommodation can be used during Wikimania. In the summery of the accommodation we have removed those 20 beds.||Dorm||Private|
|Villa Rogo - Pime ||20 minutes walk, trails from the centre.||70 beds.||Religious catholic structure. Dorm||Pontificio Istituto Missioni Estere (PIME). Costalevante Srl. A cura di c/o Guglie Viaggi Srl|
Hotels in Esino Lario
|Image||Accommodation||Distance from the venue||Size||Type||Regular prize/person||Owner|
|Hotel La Montanina||Centre||47 rooms, 75 beds||2 stars hotel||45 €||COE Centro Orientamento Educativo, catholic non profit organization.|
|Hotel Rosa delle Alpi||Centre||15 rooms, 25 beds||3 stars hotel||50 €||COE Centro Orientamento Educativo, catholic non profit organization.|
|Hotel Centrale||Centre (up)||16 rooms, 24 beds||2 stars hotel||35 €||Private.|
|Hotel La Lucciola||10 minutes ride, trails from the centre||13 rooms, 20 beds.||1 star hotel||38 €||Private.|
|Hotel Santa Maria||15 minutes ride, trails and street from the centre||7 rooms, 19 beds.||1 star hotel||35 €||Private.|
|Hotel Cacciatori||15 minutes ride (Ortanella).||5 rooms.||70 €||Private.|
|Hotel Rifugio Cainallo||15 minutes ride (Cainallo).||23 rooms, 39 beds.||30 €||Private.|
Accommodation in Perledo
Below a list of the accommodation available in Perledo; information are collected only on booking.com. We did not jet contacted the villas and apartment owners in Perledo to discuss and negotiate prices and to book rooms.
|Accommodation||Distance from the venue||Size||Type||Regular prize/person||Owner|
|Castello di Vezio - Vezio s.r.l. ||15–30 minutes ride||9 houses, 43 beds, 26 sleeping rooms||Farm holidays (9 houses)||95 euro per person||Private.|
|I Tre Oleandri Varenna||15–30 minutes ride||1 apartment with 5 beds, 1 sleeping room||Apartment||Private.|
|Residenza Luigina||15–30 minutes ride||4 apartments with a total of 16 beds, 4 sleeping rooms||Apartment||Private.|
|B&B La Cà Noeva||15–30 minutes ride||apartment with 6 beds, 3 sleeping rooms||Apartment||Private.|
|Crotto Di Gittana||15–30 minutes ride||2 beds, 1 room||Hotel||Private.|
|Villa Michela - Guest House||15–30 minutes ride||3 apartments with a total of 10 beds, 4 sleeping rooms||Apartment||Private.|
|Alla Vigna||15–30 minutes ride||8 apartments with a total of 36 beds, 11 sleeping rooms||Apartment||Private.|
|Vista 180 House Halldis Apartment||15–30 minutes ride||Apartment with 6 beds, 2 sleeping rooms||Apartment||Private.|
|Apartments Rossini||15–30 minutes ride||5 apartments with 22 beds, 9 sleeping rooms||Apartment||Private.|
|Vista Bella||15–30 minutes ride||Apartment with 6 beds, 2 sleeping rooms||Apartment||Private.|
|Monte Ulivo||15–30 minutes ride||Apartment with 7 beds, 3 sleeping rooms||Apartment||Private.|
|Casa Cristina||15–30 minutes ride||Apartment with 5 beds, 1 sleeping room (2 levels)||Apartment||Private.|
|Alto Perledo||15–30 minutes ride||Apartment with 4 beds, 2 sleeping rooms||Apartment||Private.|
|Lago Panoramica||15–30 minutes ride||Apartment with 5 beds (no information about sleeping rooms)||Apartment||Private.|
|Villa Bianca||15–30 minutes ride||Villa with 5 beds (no information about sleeping rooms)||Villa||Private.|
|Alto Perledo Terrazzo||15–30 minutes ride||Apartment with 4 beds, 2 sleeping rooms||Apartment||Private.|
Accommodation in Varenna
Below a list of the accommodation available in Varenna. The prize is the maximum indicated on http://www.varennaitaly.com; in general it is the full prize for a double room; the information about villas and apartments come from booking.com and other data come from http://www.alberghieturismo.it. We did not jet contacted the hotels in Varenna to discuss and negotiate prices and to book rooms.
|Accommodation||Distance from the venue||Size||Type||Regular prize/person||Owner|
|Villa Monastero ||20–40 minutes ride||12 rooms, 20 beds; 4 conference venues, garden.||Conference centre with accommodation.||121 euro; 2218 euro for the entire complex.||Province of Lecco.|
|Villa Cipressi ||20–40 minutes ride||43 rooms, 97 beds||Hotel 4 stars||220 euro.||Mainly Varenna city council. Managed by a company.|
|Hotel Royal Varenna ||20–40 minutes ride||43 rooms; 97 beds||Hotel 4 stars||220 euro.||Private.|
|Hotel DuLac ||20–40 minutes ride||17 rooms; 35 beds||Hotel 4 stars||240 euro.||Private.|
|Eremo Gaudio ||20–40 minutes ride||11 rooms; 22 beds||Hotel 4 stars||125 euro.||Private.|
|Hotel Milano||20–40 minutes ride||8 rooms; 16 beds||Hotel 3 stars||160 euro.||Private.|
|Hotel Olivedo ||20–40 minutes ride||10 rooms; 20 beds||Hotel 3 stars||150 euro.||Private.|
|Hotel Del Sole||20–40 minutes ride||7 rooms; 15 beds||Hotel 3 stars||170 euro.||Private.|
|Hotel Montecodeno ||20–40 minutes ride||11 rooms; 18 beds||Hotel 3 stars||100 euro.||Private.|
|Milano dipendenza - Casa rossa e casa gialla||20–40 minutes ride||4 rooms; 8 beds||Hotel 2 stars||185 euro (room in the home).||Private.|
|Hotel Beretta||20–40 minutes ride||10 rooms; 20 beds||Hotel 1 stars||80 euro (room in the home).||Private.|
|Villa Torretta||20–40 minutes ride||6 sleeping rooms.||Villa||Private.|
|Villa Gioconda||20–40 minutes ride||5 beds, 3 sleeping rooms.||Villa||Private.|
|Divina Vita B&B||20–40 minutes ride||2 beds, 1 room.||Apartment||Private.|
|Villa Central Varenna||20–40 minutes ride||8 beds, 4 sleeping rooms.||Apartment||Private.|
|Casa Mary Varenna||20–40 minutes ride||4 beds, 1 sleeping room.||Apartment||Private.|
|Maria's House||20–40 minutes ride||4 beds (no information about sleeping rooms).||Apartment||Private.|
|Verdelago Halldis Apartment||20–40 minutes ride||4 beds (no information about sleeping rooms).||Apartment||Private.|
|Appartamento Bellaggio||20–40 minutes ride||5 beds (no information about sleeping rooms).||Apartment||Private.|
|Villa Al Prato Apartment||20–40 minutes ride||4 beds (no information about sleeping rooms).||Apartment||Private.|
|Pino Romantica||20–40 minutes ride||3 beds (no information about sleeping rooms).||Apartment||Private.|
|Casa Varenna||20–40 minutes ride||5 beds (no information about sleeping rooms - from the photos 2 sleeping rooms).||Apartment||Private.|
|Residence Vista D'Oro 2||20–40 minutes ride||8 apartments (looks like there are actually 14 apartments with a total of 24 sleeping rooms).||Apartment||Private.|
|Tosca House||20–40 minutes ride||1 sleeping room.||Apartment||Private.|
|House Cristina||20–40 minutes ride||5 beds, 1 sleeping room.||Apartment||Private.|
|Villa Dolce Fontana||20–40 minutes ride||10 beds (no information about sleeping rooms - from the photos 2 sleeping rooms)||Villa||Private.|
|Primo del Lago||20–40 minutes ride||6 beds (no information about sleeping rooms)||Apartment||Private.|
|Della Fontana Penthouse||20–40 minutes ride||6 beds (no information about sleeping rooms)||Apartment||Private.|
|Bella Varenna||20–40 minutes ride||4 beds (no information about sleeping rooms)||Apartment||Private.|
|Bella Fontana||20–40 minutes ride||4 beds (no information about sleeping rooms)||Apartment||Private.|
|Casa Sofie e Charlotte||20–40 minutes ride||2 apartments, 10 beds, 4 sleeping rooms.||Apartment||Private.|
|Casa Capanno||20–40 minutes ride||3 beds (no information about sleeping rooms)||Apartment||Private.|
|Villa Varenna||20–40 minutes ride||5 sleeping rooms.||Villa||Private.|
Crowd management for accommodation
Last update 12 November 2014.
We expect Esino Lario to be able to accommodate around 700 people. For the apartments, at the moment we asked only owners who live in Esino Lario; we didn't approach apartment owners who do not live in Esino Lario. We expect that - by further asking - the number increases, but after the visits, double check on the apartments, review of rooms (i.e. double beds for single use, reducing the number of beds to arrange convenient accommodation), we expect the total number to remain more or less around 700.
Accommodation in Varenna and Perledo is a relevant option for the event, not only because it can provide further beds but also because it offers a wider range of quality (also with charming 4 stars hotels; the best hotel in Esino Lario has 3 stars). Varenna is around 30 minutes car ride (40 minutes according to regular bus schedules; 20 minutes by car - 12 km) from Esino Lario; Perledo is slightly closer.
|Accommodation (status 11 March 2014)||Beds|
|Total beds in apartments in Esino confirmed||414|
|Total beds in hotels in Esino||219|
|Total beds in dorms||105|
|Total beds in Esino Lario||738|
|Total beds in hotels in Varenna||360|
|Total beds in villas and apartments in Varenna/Perledo||310|
|Total beds Esino Lario, Varenna, Perledo||1408|
Food makes an event. Wikimania Esino Lario relies first of all on all local restaurants, bars and food shops. The number of seats available is increased during Wikimania by using other buildings made available by different private owner. We have also considered the use of a tensile structure, a catering service, and the involvement of street food vendors (which is quite a big fashionable thing right now). Esino will allow to provide participants with varied and interesting culinary experiences. Tommaso Fara will be our food curator, checking and coordinating the menus (biographies of the team).
The Esino Lario traditional local cuisine is a simple mountain cuisine, based essentially on polenta, potatoes, dairy products, nuts and pork meat, with some specialities such as the ravioli called patole or the simple dessert called "paradell". More broadly the traditional cuisine of Lake Como, Valsassina and Valtellina includes specialities such as fish from the lake (i.e. lavarelli - whitefish, pesce persico - perch) on a white risotto, pizzoccheri and grilled pork (ribs and sausages). The local cuisine is today always mixed with Italian cuisine coming from different regions and which can satisfy also vegetarian (V) and vegan diets (VV) and include meat dishes which do not include pork. We will concentrate on Italian and mountain food for two reasons: because we are in Italy and in the mountain, and because this is the kind of food local providers are more accustomed to preparing.
Breakfast will be provided by hotels, restaurants and bars; we are considering the idea of providing apartments with a welcome box which includes our welcome kit, information about the apartment and the basics to have breakfast. Differently from the Italian tradition, lunch will be a lighter meal than dinner; in Italy we would say that it is mainly focussed on the "primo" (what in Italy is the first course); there will mainly be pasta, pasta and rice salads, salads, vegetables, cheese and bread, and of course fresh fruits. Dinner will be on the "secondo" (what in Italy is the second course or main course); there will be mainly traditional cuisine, meat, soups with beans, stuffed vegetables and of course vegetables and bread, and of course a dessert. Pizza will be available in two restaurants and sandwiches in bars. We will discuss with restaurants and the catering about the menus to make sure there is variety.
We are aware that non-Italians get a little tired of pasta after few days (even if it has different shapes and sauces, people just see it as a lot of pasta pasta pasta), so we would like to allow them to taste some specialties – also vegetarian (V) and vegan (VV), which will be selected according to seasonal-local-available ingredients and the weather – they might not know or they might have experienced differently: for example polenta (VV), pizzoccheri (V), panzanella (VV), zuppe di legumi (VV), minestrone (VV), caprese (V), prosciutto e melone, panettone gastronomico, bluefish (such as sardines, anchovies and mullet) pollo alla cacciatora, vitello tonnato, bruschetta (VV), risotto (V), farinata (VV), focaccia (VV), piadine, tramezzini, gnocchi (VV), ravioli (V), parmigiana (V), fiori di zucca ripeni (V), peperonata (VV), caponata (VV), carciofi alla zudìa (VV), cheese with honey and jams (V), verdure sott'olio (VV), pasta al forno (V); and desserts (of course all vegetarian, and some of them also vegan) such as sorbetti (VV) e gelati, panettone and pandoro, cantucci con il vin santo, panna cotta, tiramisù, gelatine di mele cotogne (VV), semifreddo, granita (VV), torrone, affogato al caffè, zabaione, bunet, panforte, confetti (VV), salame al cioccolato, pesche al vino, gianduiotti, croccante (VV), frutta di pasta di mandorle (VV).
To satisfy different tastes and diet, during Wikimania we will focus broadly on Italian cuisine with a specific attention for vegetarian and vegan food. We will not ask all restaurants to use vegan dairy or to cook specialities from other countries because they are not necessarily accustomed to those menus and ingredients; vegetarian and vegan food is already part of our Mediterranean cuisine and we will focus on it. The restaurants in Esino Lario – and the available food market - is not equipped to produce a properly Kosher food (we are also unable to manage two kitchens for the tensile structure and the catering), but we hope vegan food can maybe provide an adequate compromise. Food will be labelled and one restaurant will focus on specific dietary needs. We can organize without specific problems to have soya milk available. Local cuisine will be served in particular in two specific restaurants.
Restaurants and bars
Restaurants outside Esino Lario
|Al Terrazzo Eremo Gaudio||Perledo||40||25 euro|
|Crotto del Meo||Perledo||60||22 euro|
|Ristorante Del Sole||Varenna||120||27,50 euro|
|Ristorante Il Cavatappi||Varenna||20||27,50 euro|
|Ristorante La Contrada Villa Cipressi||Varenna||70||25 euro|
|Ristorante Cavallino||Varenna||40||25 euro|
|Ristorante Crotto di Pino||Varenna||50||35 ero|
|Ristorante Gourmet Royal Victoria||Varenna||300||40 euro|
|Ristorante Nuova Isola||Varenna||30||30 euro|
|Ristorante La vista Milano||Varenna||55||-|
|Ristorante Olivedo||Varenna||40||30 euro|
|Ristorante Quatro Pass||Varenna||-||30 euro|
|Ristorante Victoria Grill||Varenna||100||25 euro|
|Ristorante Varennamonamour||Varenna||45||30 euro|
|Ristorante Moncodeno||Varenna||55||22 euro|
Crowd management for the food
The tensile structure with the catering is necessary to manage lunch (this assures that lunch is provided very closed to the location of the venues), but we envision to avoid catering for the evening to provide variety, to limit the costs for participants and to take advantage of the existing restaurants.
We expect to use tickets to manage lunch and dinner. At the moment the hypothesis is to assign lunch seats randomly (except for special diets) and to implement a reservation system for the evening with also thematic dinners planned before the event.
|Site||Breakfast||Lunch||Coffee break (always open)||Dinner without catering (2 shifts)|
|Bar Ristorante Centrale||160||150||250|
|Ristorante albergo La Montanina e Rosa delle Alpi||160||150||250|
|Bar La Ruota||50||50|
|Bar La Sosta||100||50|
|Catering in the tensile structure||500||1000||no catering|
|La Lucciola (also accommodation)||100||100|
|Santa Maria (also accommodation)||30||30|
|Villa Rogo-Pime - has kitchen||70|
|Ristoro - has kitchen||50|
Please note that for breakfast there are also some B&B (which are not included above) and we are also considering to use welcome box (managed by the local food shops).
Management of the lunch and coffee breaks
|Expense||Number||Days||Cost/Unit||Total in euro||Total in dollars|
|coffee breaks preconference||500||3||€ 5||€7.500||$10.293,67|
|coffee breaks conference||1.000||3||€ 5||€15.000||$20.587,35|
|catering lunch||500||3||€ 22||€33.000||$45.292,17|
|restaurant lunch (conference and preconference)||500||5||€ 10||€25.000||$34.312,25|
|Total amount planned in the estimated costs||€80.500||$110.485,45|
Safety and Accessibility
Esino Lario is a very safe location with extremely low criminality rate, and with an already organized system to manage medical assistance and emergencies. Due to the exceptional number of attendees expected during Wikimania, we are however putting in place a series of step to assure full safety and risk management.
- An experienced and specialized person in charge of safety regulations (please refer to team). Venues and the tensile structure need to be managed and equipped according to safety regulations, which in Italy are restrictive.
- The presence of an ambulance during the entire event and the pharmacy opening hours increased during the event. The ambulance will be an additional presence; there is already in Esino Lario a medical clinic, a pharmacy, an association with trained volunteers (Soccorso Val d'Esino) and an airstrip for helicopters). We already discussed with the City Council about the pharmacy opening hours (the pharmacy is owned by the City Council) and the open hours will be notified in May according to the procedure.
- Notification of the event at the three nearby hospitals (Lecco, Gravedona, Morbegno), at the provincial Protezione Civile, firefighters and local police station.
- Insurance for the participants.
- Excursions in the mountains in collaboration with the Regional Grigne Park. This assures that the excursions in the mountains are accompanied by experienced guides.
- Guidelines for the participants. A little booklet available before coming to Wikimania Esino Lario, with practical information about cloths, equipment for excursions in the mountains and contacts in case of emergency.
- A reference person for each venue who can manage the key.
- Storage space locked and managed by specific teams (in particular the technical team for the equipment).
Health and medical service
For general medical necessities in Esino Lario there is a pharmacy owned and managed by the City Council, a medical clinic and a medical car equipped for wheelchair transport and managed by a team of trained volunteers members of the association Soccorso Val d'Esino. The nearest ambulance comes from Bellano and it provides transport to the nearest or most suitable hospital.
In case of a medical emergency, during the day transport is managed by helicopter. In Esino Lario there is an airstrip for helicopters near the city centre (Bigallo) and there are suitable locations for helicopter landing in the territory (notably Ortanella and Cainallo). During Wikimania there will be an ambulance 24/24 available.
- Pharmacy, Piazza Pietro Pensa, Esino Lario. The pharmacy is located next door to the medical clinic, in the middle of Esino Lario just below the city council building.
- Medical clinic (ambulatorio medico), Piazza Pietro Pensa, Esino Lario. The medical clinic is located next door to the pharmacy, in the middle of Esino Lario just below the city council building.
- Doctor on call (servizio di continuità assistenziale - ex-guardia medica). A local phone number which provides assistance when the Medical clinic (ambulatorio medico) is closed.
- Soccorso Val d'Esino. It is an association of volunteers who intervenes in case of emergencies in Esino Lario or for medical related transport necessities. The association involves trained volunteers in first aid; some of the volunteers are also active in the Red Cross service of Bellano.
- General medical emergency number 118. This phone number manages the Italian medical emergency centralized system. It provides first advice, it connect to specialized assistance and it manages according to the situation the requests for an ambulance or helicopter.
- Airstrip for helicopters, Bigallo.
- Nearest hospitals: Lecco, Gravedona, Morbegno.
- Specialized structures: Milano. Also the above hospitals have specialized medical assistance in specific areas.
Esino Lario is a mountain village with streets and paths characterized by slopes. Slopes are certainly not the best situation for wheelchairs and for people with difficulties in walking.
- Transport. The Association Soccorso Val d'Esino has a medical car equipped for the transport of wheelchairs; this car can be used during Wikimania and transport for people with specific needs can be assured using this car from the airport or from Varenna railway station. We also planned to rent 4 small vans (8 seats) which can facilitate displacements.
- Facilities. The Hotel Rosa delle Alpi is equipped to allow access with wheelchairs, and we will provide accommodation here to guests with specific needs (15 rooms, 25 beds); there are in particular two bathrooms in two main locations of the conference designed to allow access with wheelchairs.
- Venues. Not all venues are fully accessible. The sport hall is at the moment only accessible to wheelchairs in the gallery area; 4 rooms of the Primary School out of 7 can be reached though a staircase and the collaborative space (former museum) have few steps to be accessed. Other venues – Villa Clotilde, the multimedia space of the new museum, Theatre of the kindergarten – do not seem to present problems.
Attendees with specific needs will be invited to provide information on their registration form. Assistance can be organized and we expect that the concentration of people in Esino Lario during Wikimania will also facilitate support.
Insurance and SIAE
Initially we planned to provide by default a personal insurance to all participants. Due to the different kind of venues (owners and management), we expected a personal insurance to be the most suitable solution, but according to further discussions we are now considering an extension of the Regional Park of Northern Grigna insurance (all the territory of Esino Lario is included in the park and they already have an insurance), or the Esino Lario city council insurance plan, or an extension of insurance of Wikimedia Foundation for events, or a combination and integrations of the two. We will recommend a personal insurance to participants but we have been advised to leave participants to manage their own personal insurance. We estimated the insurance costs based on the individual costs of insurance.
- The Esino Lario city council has an insurance for theft, fire and liability; the insurance is managed by a company which identifies the best deals with different insurance companies (one contract with several insurance companies). The annual insurance of the Esino Lario city council is around 11'000 euro for all buildings, vehicles and so on. The existing insurance can be extended and we can commission the company to define the best deal; we expect that the amount planned in the budget is largely sufficient to cover our insurance needs.
- Personal insurance costs (around 10 euro per person) - Europeassistance https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Qyy_nzLhZEOGx4VE5MVnhoZDg/edit (contract https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Qyy_nzLhZEbFdtckNJVFk1cUE/edit)
|Expense||Number||Cost/Unit||Total in euro||Total in dollars|
|Personal insurance||1.000||€ 10||€10.000,00||$13.724,90|
|Total amount planned in the estimated costs||€10.000,00||$13.724,90|
We include in this general estimated budget also the costs for licenses (SIAE); we can manage the cost with Pro Loco Esino Lario (they have national agreement with SIAE) and it is 200 euro per 5 days (€1.000 - $1.372,49)
Cleaning and environmental impact
The number of people using the meeting rooms during Wikimania Esino Lario go beyond the normal use of these spaces. In general the cleaning of public buildings is managed by a cleaning company hired by the city council or by the local associations in charge of the buildings; private buildings (owned by private owners or associations) are directly managed by them. The cleaning of public spaces and the management of the outdoor bins is operated by the staff of the city council. The municipal waste collection is managed by a company and the waste disposal by a landfill in Valmadrera.
To meet the necessities of Wikimania Esino Lario we planned to increase the cleaning of the meeting rooms by hiring a cleaning company. The number of participants to the event is not expected to produce a particularly relevant increase of the municipal waste collection, compared to annual management of the 4'000-6'000 tourists in Esino Lario during July and August. We have also collected a preinvoice for the installation of chemical toilets (and their specific cleaning) in case it happened to be necessary.
We have already contacted the landfill in Valmadrera SILEA to get information regarding the most suitable disposable materials to be used in particular for meals such as plates, glasses, bottles (the possibility of recycling materials depends on the landfill), and how to properly differentiate them and collect them.
- Sebach Bagni Chimici https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Qyy_nzLhZET0pKcFlSbnlXWnM/edit
- Society managing the waste collection "Il trasporto"
- Landfill in Valmadrera SILEA +39 0341 204 411
|Cleaning of the chemical toilets||4||€336||€1.344,00||1677,312|
The conference takes place in the entire territory of Esino Lario. The meeting rooms are all located in the core housing area of the municipality within walking distance from each other. The majority of the accommodation is located in the same area and it allows Wikimania participates to enjoy proximity and walking distance from the accommodation to the meeting rooms.
The different kind of spaces used for the Wikimania programme allow a variety of gatherings and discussions. Smaller and larger rooms are available for large session, small groups discussions, formal and informal meetups, exhibition and posters, training and workshops, working spaces and hack sessions. The use of open space, parks, green areas, streets closed to the traffic and squares contribute to the extension of the sessions and to the general atmosphere of the event.
The choice of locating Wikimania within a small natural location uses and potentiates existing spaces, it involves local institutions and operators in contributing to the conference organization, and it sets the collaborative style of the event.
Buildings and Rooms
Below we provide an overview of the buildings and meeting rooms which can be used for Wikimania Esino Lario. The number of people is indicative because it depends on how the space will be used (size of the seats, if we arrange seats around tables, if it is a presentation, if we add a stage or we use the space for discussions...). In general we kept the number of people below the actual capacity of the rooms (Manuel and Deror who visited the site can also provide their feedback) and you can check the links for further details (further images and plans are also available on Wikimedia Commons).
|Sport hall and multifunctional space||Presentations.||600 seats|
|Tensile structure||Presentations or Meetups.||500 seats|
|Former cinema - Hall||Presentations, possible space for the registration.||300 seats|
|Theatre of the kindergarten||Presentations.||100 seats|
||25 x 6 + 50 = 200|
|Former museum - Collaborative space||Collaborative space, training, or possible space for the registration (downstairs).||15 x 6 + 24 = 120|
|Multimedia room - New museum||Presentations.||40|
|Villa Clotilde||Office, press office, space for small meetings and interviews.||15 x 3 = 45|
|Esino Lario town hall||Information desk and a small meeting room.||20|
|Ex-Albergo Italia||Space for the volunteers, storage of luggage, possible space for the registration.|
|Bar Restaurant 58||Meetups.||Around 100|
|Ristorante albergo La Montanina||Meetups.||Around 150|
|Bar Oasi||Meetups.||Around 120|
|Ortanella||Meetups, thematic dinners, excursions.||4'000|
|Cainallo||Meetups, thematic dinners, excursions.||4'000|
|Villa Monastero in Varenna||
||Several rooms. Max 88 in the largest, garden|
|Montecodeno||Storage and backup.|
|Ex-Albergo Grigna||Storage and backup.|
|Ex-Fioravanti||Storage and backup.|
We have included in the budget two expenses necessary to host Wikimania in Esino Lario to assure safety in the buildings.
- Two staircases to increase the number of emergency exits in the sport hall. This allows to host a big number of people in this meeting rooms and staircases can be rented.
- The electrical system in the collaborative space. The current electric system is not cabled and for safety reasons it is necessary to upgrade it.
We are actually including these expenses in the fundraising with local grant-makers we are currently implementing, but – since these adjustments are necessary for Wikimania – we included them in the budget to make sure the event is feasible in case we do not receive any further funding.
Meeting space in Esino Lario
The Esino Lario city council is the major stakeholder of the venues and it has already expressed its support to the event. The other owners have already been approached; we have the confirmation for Meeting, Montecodeno and Ex-Albergo Italia. We have approached and involved one of the primary school teacher who supports the event and in case of confirmation of the event we will make an official request to the Istituto Comprensivo Bellano (which manages the building) to book and confirm the use (we do not expect specific problems; there are normally no problems in using the building of the Primary School for activities and the event will take place not during the school year).
Meeting space in Varenna: Villa Monastero
We have booked Villa Monastero in Varenna; we made a pre-booking confirmed by email by the managers because Villa Monastero is a venue also for a major annual conference in physics and we need to negotiate as easy as possible the availability for Wikimania Esino Lario; Villa Monastero is available for Wikimania Esino Lario: conference rooms 21–26 June 2016, plus 7 double rooms and 4 single rooms arrival between June 21 and June 25 with departure Sunday June 26 (it is not possible to sleep in Villa Monastero Sunday 26 June because of the other event); 1 double room is also available but with departure Saturday June 24.
Esino Lario is connected by two electricity lines (one from Varenna, the other from Valsassina). There are 3 transformation cabins within the village. In case a transformer burns (an unlikely situation), it takes 4–5 hours to substitute it. The buildings used for the conference have electricity but not necessary receive the power needed need during the event, as most electrical supply per building can distribute up to 3 KW. Because of the free market, the Esino Lario city council has several electricity suppliers (Enel Energia, Multiutility) for the different building. The public space electricity (street illumination is owned and managed by Enel Sole); there are a series of other outdoor locations (i.e. old centres, industrial area, street via della Chiesa, Villa Clotilde garden) where lamps are owned by the city council and the energy is managed with several energy suppliers, similar to how buildings are managed.
- We didn't check every single building for the current energy supply but we collected some sampling for Sport hall (largest space), Primary school (probably site for the hackathon) and Hall - former cinema (currently with a limited use). According to the information collected tension (tensione) is 380 volt everywhere, the available power is between 6 kW and 11 kW.
- We are already in contact with the regional manager of Enel Distribuzione Spa, the company managing electricity distribution in Esino Lario and in the region. We have informed him about the event, he has provided information about the current situation and he is supporting us in planning the necessary steps to upgrade the system for the event.
- Electricity distribution systems will be upgraded in a selection of buildings according to their use during Wikimania. Please refer below for the estimate upgrade.
- An UPS (Uninterruptible power supply) system can be rented to provide electricity for the servers and/or for the main site (in case of a big storm). As an alternative, servers and the main sites can be connected to two different electricity lines for ensuring full service continuity. Such a decision will be planned jointly with the regional manager of Enel Distribuzione Spa (according to a cost/benefit analysis).
|Upgrade||Cost||kw||w||Units||Total w||kw (per hour)||Hours||kw for day||Total cost per day||Days||Total cost conference (7 days) in euro||Total cost conference (7 days) in dollars|
|Upgrade to 100 kW||€800,00||100 kW||2||€1.600,00||$2.195,98|
|Upgrade to 50 kW||€500,00||50 kW||4||€2.000,00||$2.744,98|
|Upgrade to 20 kW||€180,00||20 kW||1||€180,00||$247,05|
|The upgrade includes fixed costs and electricity||Total cost upgrade||€3.780,00||$5.188,01|
|It includes an amount of electricity|
|Fixed cost for each upgrade||€150,00||7||€1.050,00||$1.441,11|
|Estimated consume and cost for computers||€0,30||per kw||50||2000||100000||100||10||1000||€ 300||7||€2.100,00||$2.882,23|
|Consume for the tensile structure||150||5||750||€ 225||3||€675,00||$926,43|
|Total expected expenditures||€3.825,00||$5.249,77|
|Total amount planned in the estimated costs||€4.000,00||$5.489,96|
Equipment rental/A-V expense
All rooms used for presentations will be equipped with LCD Projector, screen, microphones, power sockets/strips for the expected number of people and all room will of course equipped with large sheets, pens and paper. The theatre of the kindergarten is already equipped (projector, screen, stage, microphone), and the Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne con provide 4 projectors and an audio system for free. We have also contacted an art and media centre in Milan to check if it is possible to borrow from them some equipment (5 projectors); we do not have confirmation jet.
If meeting rooms are not used for presentations but for meetings and discussions we will equip them accordingly. Two installations are a bit more complex of the others (and therefore more expensive): the sport hall (projector, screen, audio, power sockets/strips) and the tensile structure or the former cinema. For the installation of the audio in the sport hall we will have the support and advice of Alberto Pinto who is specialized in audio systems. We are deciding how to equip the smaller rooms (up to 35); the audio system doesn't seem to be necessary and eventually a monitor appears to be more appropriate.
|Expense||Number||Days||Cost/Unit||Total in euro||Total in dollars|
|Rented equipment (projector, audio, screen) - Tensile structure and sport hall||2||5||€2.500,00||€5.000,00||$6.862,45|
|Stationery, computer rentals, printer, electronics & others||8||€4.000||$5.489,96|
|Already available projectors||4|
|Already available audio system||1|
|Already equipped Theatre Kindergarten (projector, audio, screen)||1|
|Permanent equipment (projector, audio, screen) - Primary school and multimedia room of the new museum||2||€3.600,00||€7.200,00||$9.881,93|
|Total amount planned in the estimated costs||€16.200,00||$22.234,34|
Presentations are video recorded during the event. Workshops and discussions are documented with photos and short interviews with participants. Uploads will not be managed in Esino Lario during the event to avoid overcharging the network. The uploads are managed outside Esino Lario by renting space in a data center. We are not planning the streaming.
The video recording will be made with 1 camera frontal and fixed. To provide already formatted videos, the title will be filmed and recording will be stopped at the end of the presentation. Discussions and trainings will not be video recorded; we will document the event with photos, we will have the moderator recording general data about the event (number of attendees, and comments on questions, discussions and the general atmosphere), and a short interview with a participant can be video recorded.
Below how we estimated the cost. We are also considering of involving a school focussed on video making based in Lecco; eventually it would be useful to plan some training for the students during the preconference.
|Expense||Number||Days||Cost/Unit||Total in euro||Total in dollars|
|Video recording||4||3||€ 200||€2.400||$3.293,98|
|Total amount planned in the estimated costs||€2400||$3.293,98|
We have requested a pre invoice for forniture: for chairs (to eventually be used for the meeting rooms), and for tables and benches (for outdoor spaces or for the tensile structure). The quantity exceeds our needs and we can probably borrow forniture from local associations, but we thought it can be useful to know how much it costs in an early stage and in case we need them.
- CSC Allestimenti. Via Rossini, 78 - Sesto San Giovanni (MI), Tel +39 02-26263627 http://www.gruppocsc.com, https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Qyy_nzLhZEYzAzcHgzT3lsNVU/edit
|Chairs||1000||€1.500||Estimated to make sure we have enough chairs|
|Tables with benches||63||€ 12||€ 756||Each table for 8 people|
|Transport. Tracks for the round trip||2||€ 400||€ 800|
|Total without VAT||€3.256|
|Total with VAT||€3.972|
Esino Lario is a small village and the attendees of Wikimania will benefit from proximity, walking distances, open space, formal and informal gatherings. Beyond the working sessions, an evening program is proposed with different activities, places to gather and special events; the program also includes activities for children. Our proposal highlights some excursions attendees might be interested in and the possibility to arrive before the pre-conference in Como for the Wikimania Takes Lake Como soft program. A broader calendar of initiatives is organized in North of Italy and in the Italian-speaking Switzerland to take full advantage of the preparation and visibility of Wikimania.
Wikimania Esino Lario has 3 main target groups involved in different ways and with different timing.
- The participants of the conference Wikimania Esino Lario (involved for the conference). The 3-5-1 days pre-conference, conference and postconference focused on Wikimedians, and people active in ICT, online communities, communication, open licenses, OER Open Educational Resources, and culture. The conference is in English (since exchanges and discussions are at the centre of the event, it would not be efficient in this location to invest in interpreters and simultaneous translations). To involve the participants the program includes working sessions, special events, excursions, a program for children, and of course a collaborative space and a lot of informal meeting space.
- Newbies. People who want to know something about a "topic", discover it or get introduced to it. These people can be new to Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, or they can know very well a specific Wikimedia project but do not necessarily other projects and initiatives (i.e. Wikidata, Wikisource, data available for research, WMF fundings, outreach projects related to GLAMs, education, medicine, the activities of chapters...). Formats such as "user digest" presentations, posters, the chapter village, and brochures are meant for them.
- Advanced. People who want to move forward on a "topic": discuss it, challenge it, brainstorm about it, take a decision/position related to it, or learn how to develop the skills to do something more; they already know the background (or they can get an overview about it at Wikimania). Format such as "critical issues" presentations, discussions, meetups, the hackathon, and training are meant for them.
- Journalists. Of course communication takes into consideration the needs of journalists (press information, press kit, reference contact, support in arranging interviews).
- Cultural institutions. Wikimania can be a chance to invite cultural institutions and key stakeholders to discover the relevance of contributing to the Wikimedia projects and the use of open licenses. We have already booked Villa Monastero which is an extremely charming location for a gathering specifically designed for cultural institutions which could be organized during the preconferece.
- Volunteers. Contributing to Wikimania is not only something we are grateful to volunteers for, but it should be a chance to enhance personal skills. We are browsing possibilities to link the event to existing volunteer programs (Italian and European, for volunteers <26 years old) and in the pre-conference we plan training for volunteers (i.e. how Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects work, video recording, how to facilitate a session, how to make interviews with participants and collect data about discussions). Please note that the program for children is specifically meant to allow volunteers to volunteer (i.e. people in Esino Lario and organizers); priority will be given to volunteers with children, but there are going to be some available places for participants with children.
- Special guests and partners. We are involving guests and partners in the event (in the planning and for the sessions) and we are informing like-mind and relevant organizations about Wikimania. "Special guests" can contribute to the presentations and discussions and can bring specific skills to the event. Since they are not only involved in the presentations we are not calling them keynotes.
- The Esino Lario community (involved for the conference, and before and afte the conference). The conference deeply involves the Esino Lario community.
- People in Italy and Switzerland, with a specific focus on the Province of Lecco, Como, Varese and Sondrio, and the Canton of Ticino and Grisons in Switzerland (involved before and after the conference). Wikimania Esino Lario is a chance to trigger communication and participation among a larger audience. Beyond the participants at the conference we target a larger community with a specific focus on our territorial local area, the Italian language and three specific groups:
- People working in associations and cultural institutions, and public administrations. During the planning phase we have already contacted and exchanged with many associations, cultural institutions, public institutions. We plan to reinforce in particular with communication (and fundraising) the current program of meetings, presentations and activities of Wikimedia Italia and Wikimedia CH.
- Young people (reached through schools and universities). During this planning phase, we have already organized a training-game in Esino Lario primary school and we have set contacts with two high schools in Lecco. We plan to involve local schools (1 secondary school and 2 high schools) with presentations and training and to support with communication the program Wikimedia Italia has already with schools in Italy.
- Female entrepreneurship and the Internet. We are planning to support a series of presentations and training for women in the Province of Lecco and Ticino in collaboration with a newly born association interested in developing and managing this program. The topic is the internet and female entrepreneurship; Wikipedia and open licenses are presented as a component of the Internet and to provide an understanding of online dynamics, but they are not the centre of the program because they do not appear in this phase as the best entrance point to enhance female online participation and use of the Internet and digital tools.
Wikipedia as a driver for change is the theme suggested for Wikimania Esino Lario. This theme taps on the specific characteristics of Wikimania Esino Lario, it relates to the classic thematic tracks which have already structured past Wikimanias, and it allows to slightly change the general perspective of the event and its sessions. We plan to involve the community in the discussions by using a call for proposal, asking people in which ways they think Wikipedia is a driver for change. Using Wikipedia as a reference in the title is not meant to reduce the importance of other Wikimedia projects, but to refer to Wikipedia as the initial project and as the current largest and most well-known one. We assume that some of Wikipedia features (open license, editable content, collaborative work, community, work in progress, neutral point of view, no distinctions between editors based on academic titles, be bold...) have been relevant for the establishment of other projects and we assume that by focusing on Wikipedia features we can also consider links with other initiatives, groups and approaches online and offline.
Rather than a topic, the general theme guides the way sessions are structured. We would like to ask presentations to include in their proposals and talks visions for the future, or observations related to what has changed from the past (positively and negatively).
The working sessions we propose for Wikimania Esino Lario are based on the analysis of the different sessions which has already being organized in previous editions of Wikimania and other relevant conferences, and they relay on the observation of the targets we want to address (their relevance for the movement, their expectations and the way their expectations can be met).
Presentations are speeches meant to inform, persuade, or rise issues. According to the discussions on past Wikimanias we highlighted the need of two kind of presentations: presentations meant for newbies which provide an overview of a topic (user digest presentations) and presentations which are more in-depth which assume the public have already a certain degree of knowledge on a topic (critical issues). To introduce topics and to provide an overview to what is going on in the moment also posters, the chapter village and brochures are valuable tools.
A "user digest presentation" is a presentation which provides an overview of a topic. It is a sort of extended "State of the Wiki" which can browse all sort of more specific topics: status of the organization (i.e. Wikimedia Foundation, chapters-affiliates-groups around the world), strategies related to territories (i.e. Iberocoop, Africa, Wikipedia offline and on mobile phone), specific projects (i.e. Wikidata, Wikisource), projects in the field of education (i.e. schools, high schools, universities, outreach targeting specific groups), partnerships with GLAMs, dynamics of the online community, research related to Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, software development, events, legislation...
The idea behind general presentation is that people can be extremely informed in a specific field, but they can be newbies in another. The "user digest presentations" are conceived to provide an overview of a topic, and they do not expect people to have background knowledge on it. This kind of presentation can be conceived collaboratively by groups (i.e. people working in education and partnerships with GLAMs) or they can be proposed by individuals. The evaluation of the user digest presentations should take into consideration the preparatory work of the applicant and the capacity of the presentation to acknowledge not only what is going on in one country or one linguistic projects but around the world and in different linguistic projects.
The sport hall has a 700m2 floor and an upstairs gallery.
The cinema can accommodate around 300 seats or the tensile structure 500.
Outdoor space is also a possible option with good weather.
Presentations around critical issues are meant to present a topic more in-depth (problem, possible solution, critical analysis). Those presentations do not target newbies, and they can assume attendees have already a background knowledge on the topic. Those presentations are also meant to nourish discussions. In the call proposals, applicants will be asked to specify who is the target of the presentation and what they would like the presentation to produce (i.e. decision, beta test, creation of a new specific project, collaboration with specific groups, application to the IEG or other grant). Those presentations can be also further discussed during meetups.
Presentations on critical issues will be selected for Wikimania Esino Lario using a call for proposals and a selection process managed by the Program Committee. We will invite proposals to choose between two formats: user digest and critical issues. Participants will also be invited to contribute to Wikimania by preparing posters. Presentations will be video recorded and uploaded online after Wikimania and not in Esino Lario.
The theatre of the Kindergarten has a palk and it is already equipped for presentations.
The meeting is a meeting space around 10 x 8 m with an upstairs gallery.
The new museum with a multimedia rooms for around 40 seats.
Posters, chapter village and brochures
Posters can be a why to provide an overview of topics and of what is going on in the movement in different countries and locations. The chapter village has been organized during the last Wikimania as a space to allow participants to meet the chapters and who works and collaborates with chapters. Brochures are normally distributed in the chapter village and in London they have been produced specifically to allow people interested in a topic to get an idea of what was going on related to that topic during Wikimania (introduction and events which might interest). During Wikimania Esino Lario posters, the chapter village and brochures focus on Newbies (in the different projects and initiatives); these formats provide space for a variety of information and they increase the number of topics covered by the conference. The posters are also a tool to prepare the "user digest" presentations and to provide the community with online documentation during and after the event.
Thematic discussions are discussions with an objective; the objective is what determines their structure. Among the objectives there can be for example taking a decision, browsing possible solutions for a problem, making latent problems and issues emerging, considering a topic from different perspectives.
It could be interesting to browse the possibility of transforming the Q&A with Wikimedia Foundation board into a discussion; also the presentation of Wikimedia Foundation could be structured differently: with a "user digest presentation" of the executive director and a discussion involving the executive director and representatives of the different areas of the foundation.
We estimated the price to have two facilitators involved in supporting the planning of those session (selection and definition of the structure, i.e. plenary and group discussions, simulations, different technique of brainstorming...) and contributing in facilitating their implementation.
|Expense||Number||Days||Cost/Unit||Total in euro||Total in dollars|
|Total amount planned in the estimated costs||€3000||$4.117,47|
The primary school has a hall and 6 rooms which can allow to focus on a topic and split the discussion in smaller groups.
The collaborative space is on two levels; at the second floor there is a long row of 7 rooms separated by few steps but without separation wall; all rooms have doors and a large window and long balcony outside.
Meetups are informal meetings. We expect the proximity which characterizes Wikimania Esino Lario to facilitate meetups. We expect them to take place in bars, restaurants and in the tensile structure. Time for meetups will be included in the schedule and not simply planned after the working sessions or at lunch.
Montanina bar restaurant and hotel with a large garden shared with the Hotel restaurant Rosa delle Alpi (same owner).
The garden of the Montanina bar restaurant hotel.
The bar restaurant 58 with a terrace.
The bar restaurant Oasi with a large outside and a terrace.
Outdoor space can be equipped with small tensile structures (in the photo the small tensile structures owned by Pro Loco Esino Lario).
Technical and training
The Wikimania hackathon is a classic Wikimania pre-conference event during which computer programmers are invited to collaborate insensibly on Wikimedia software projects. The connectivity of Wikimania Esino Lario is planned to provide the technical requirement to host such event.
The primary school is located closed to the arrival of the optical fiber and it can accommodate conveniently 200 people (one large hall and 6 other rooms surrounding it); it is adjacent to Villa Clotilde with its garden and the new museum with its multimedia room; it is near by the theatre of the Kindergarten.
Hacking days in Taipei.
Hackathon at Wikimania Haifa.
Hackathon at Wikimania Washington DC.
Devcamp at Wikimania Hong Kong.
Hackathon in the Barbican conservatory at Wikimania London.
A training is a session meant to enhance skills. The idea of the training is that you come out of it with a new or reinforced competence (or at worst you come out it knowing who can answer your questions). A call will be made to ask people what kind of training they want or need. Training can be on all sort of topics: how to contribute to a project (i.e. Wikipedia, Wikisource, Wikidata), how to get your group recognized by Wikimedia Foundation, how to organized an educational event in a high school, how to request a grant to Wikimedia Foundation, how to evaluate a project, how to take photos for the Wikimedia Projects, how to organize a contest, how to download and install kiwix, how to involve a museum, how to use QRpedia in a museum, how to adopt on open licenses or how to make others using them...
- The collaborative space is also designed to have a help desk where people can ask questions, in particular short technical ones (i.e. how do I make a table using a wiki, how I convert my video, how I do become an admin...).
- Workshops will also be organized in the evening as a sort of hands-on training.
A workshop at Wikimania Haifa.
A workshop at Wikimania London.
The collaborative space is a building which will be 24/24 open and equipped with working stations. We would like to create in this space also a sort of help desk where people can ask questions, in particular short technical ones (i.e. how do I make a table using a wiki, how I convert my video, how I do become an admin...). The collaborative space will remain a collaborative space also after Wikimania and it will host Esino Lario associations.
Always according to our site-specific approach, instead of organizing one big event per evening, we propose a series of initiatives taking place during the week of the conference. This allows attendees to have a broader choice of activities and it reduces the complexity of managing them. The eventing program is organized in collaboration with local associations and artists, and it takes advantage of the network Esino Lario and Wikimedia Italia has established through time. The curator of the special events is Domenico Barardinelli (biographies of the team). Please note that we included in the estimated costs the payment of the siae license for the days of the conference.
The collaborative working space will be open 24/24.
Free as free beer
We will set a gathering space for the evening. In the estimated budget we included 15'000 euro ($20.587,35) for the welcome event; this budget can also be used as following:
|Expense||liters||euro||per liter||people||days||Total in euro||Total in dollars|
|Beer evening preconference||30||€89,06||€2,97||500||4||€5.937,33||$8.148,93|
|Beer evening conference||30||€89,06||€2,97||1000||3||€8.906,00||$12.223,40|
|Total amount planned in the estimated costs||€15.000||$20.587,35|
The workshops in the evening are organized as sort of hands-on training, they are sort of games and they take advantage also of the skills of our keynote speakers and "special guests". Among the possible workshops:
- Simply in a Box, organized by ImpossibleSites dans la rue (and Giuditta Nelli). A workshop to build and use a pinhole cameras. Giuditta Nelli has already gave her availability.
- Open Street Map. This is a classic event at Wikimania which it would be nice to organize in collaboration with the Italian Open Street Map group (which is currently associated to Wikimedia Italia).
- According to the interest, it is possible to ask Massimo Banzi co-founder of Arduino if he can lead a workshop on Arduino.
Some of the possibilities for performances are:
- Performance with a concert and music by Roberto Paci Dalò. Roberto Paci Dalò has already gave his availability.
- Performance by Invernomuto. Invernomuto has being commissioned the artwork Culiarsi which belongs to the Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne in Esino Lario. The artwork is composed of a 6-meters theremin; in 2011 the theremin was activated by a falcon, and it included in the performance the meal prepared by the Alpini, a presentation of two Italian champions of bike and motocross and video. Invernomuto also works with music (very broad international interest in music) and it will dj the evening. Invernomuto have already gave their availability.
- Spot-Concerts. It is a format that has been already organized in other places in Italy. It is quite charming. Little orchestras and musician play one after the other in different spots. The programme tells when the concert starts and ends, but not the locations. People need to listen and follow the music, and by following the music the discover a place.
The theatre of the Kindergarten can be used in the evening for video projections (videos of artists, open license videos, documentaries or films).
Thematic dinners with short evening excursions
Thematic dinners can be planned before the event and organized in particular in the restaurants of Cainallo and Ortanella (please refer to the session food). With a nice weather Cainallo and Ortanella are particularly enjoyable locations; Cainallo with an impressive view of the Grigna mountains and Ortanella with a beautiful view of Lake Como (in particular from San Pietro in Ortanella, a short 10 minutes walk from the restaurant)
Esino Lario is located in North of Italy, in the Alps above Lake Como. It is a charming mountain village immerse in a 18,66 kmq green area and in the Northern Grigna Regional Park. Esino Lario is the starting point for excursions in the mountains and visits to naturalistic, panoramic and historical sites in its territory and on Lake Como, Valsassina, Valchiavenna, Valtellina, Brianza, Milano, Ticino in Switzerland.
Wikimania Takes Lake Como
Wikimania Takes Lake Como is four-days soft program of gatherings and site-seeing designed for early arrivals and for people who want to take advantage of the event to visit and discover Lake Como. Participants will be accommodate in the city of Como, the program will include excursions on the lake, in the Como and Varese area and in Ticino in Switzerland. Como is a relevant location for this pre-conference event for its charme, its convenient distance from Malpensa airport, for its strategic position in between Lake Como, Milan, Province of Como, Province of Lecco, Province of Monza and Brianza, and Ticino. Transport from Como to Esino Lario will be organized by boat and bus. The format of the event relies on the Wikimania Takes Manhattan model and it responds to the need of enlarging the geography of the event and take advantage of Esino Lario location to allow attendees to enjoy and experience other sites and cities.
For Wikimania Takes Lake Como we will provide:
- Information related to accommodation in Como; participants will manage directly their reservation.
- A soft program of gatherings and site-seeing; participants will be free to join the program and they will have the chance to meet for those gatherings and excursions.
- The presence of two volunteers organizing and facilitating Wikimania Takes Lake Como.
- An organized travel by boat and bus to Esino Lario on time for the pre-conference.
|Expense||Number||Days||Price||Total in euro||Total in dollars|
|Reimbursment for Wikimania Takes Lake Como||2||4||€ 100||€ 800||$1.097,99|
|Total amount planned in the estimated costs||€800||$1.097,99|
Esino Lario, excursions and panoramic sites (walking around)
Excursions on the Grigna mountain.
Church of San Pietro in Ortanella with panoramic view of Lake Como.
Panoramic view of Lake Como from San Pietro in Ortanella.
Church of San Vittore.
Via Crucis by Michele Vedani.
Lake Como, its villas, botanical gardens and Romanesque architecture
30 minutes from Esino Lario by bus or car. From Varenna trains to move on the oriental side of the lake and boats to cross the lake.
Villa Monastero in Varenna with its botanical garden.
Il Castel of Vezio, between Perledo and Varenna.
Orrido di Bellano.
Bellagio and Villa Serbelloni.
Villa Carlotta in Tremezzo with its botanical garden.
Corenno Plinio (Dervio) with its church and castle.
The monastery of Piona (Colico).
Santa Maria del Tiglio in Gravedona.
Como with its cathedral and San Fedele.
Moving around: Milan area (moving south), Valchiavenna and Valtellina area (moving north), Ticino and Switzerland
Crespi d'Adda (world heritage site).
Rock Drawings in Valcamonica (world heritage site).
Palazzo Besta in Teglio
Monte San Giorgio, between Italy and Switzerland (world heritage site).
- List of museums in Province of Bergamo.
- List of museums in Province of Milan.
- List of museums in Milan.
- List of museums in Province of Sondrio.
Program for children
To meet the necessities of the volunteers involved in the organization and to offer a relevant program for all the attendees, children-care and activities for children are planned in collaboration with local institutions. The cost of the child-care will be cover meals, insurance and staff.
|Age||Description||# places available||Where||Who|
|2–5 years old||Playing space for children.||20 children. Only Saturday and Sunday.||Kindergarten||Scuola dell'infanzia di Esino Lario (non profit organization supported by the city council). Coordinator Giusy Nasazzi.|
|6–10 years old||Green week (settimana del verde). Workshops, excursions and activities tp discover the nature and culture of the Grigna Park.||40 children.||Space next to the kindergarten (sala dell'oratorio) and outdoor.||Parco regionale della Grigna Settentionale (organizing the week in Esino Lario since 2012). Coordinator Tecla Barindelli.|
Esino Lario was awarded in 2010 the Prize FamilyWork for its project Esino Lario child-friendly (Esino Lario a misura di bambino), which included activities, workshops, artworks and a simple communication system with logos which identify available services for children. The prize is promoted by Lombardy Region and ALTIS, a research unit at the Catholic University of Milan.
Dates and schedule
Wikimania Esino Lario takes place the last week of June 2016 (21-28 June 2016).
- Pre-conference Wednesday 22 June - Thursday 23 June 2016
- Conference Friday 24 June - Sunday 26 June 2016
- Post-conference Monday 27 June 2016.
Reasons for the selected dates. The last week of June has been selected for a series of important advantages it can assure: school is over in Italy so we can take advantage of transport and venues, tourism is heavy in the region in July–August, and normally it is the best weather. The availability of restaurants and accommodation would be critical in July and August, and – because of the main tourist season – we would have problems to have the support of local volunteers fully working in the area in July and August, or away for holidays. We can of course take care of everything which can facilitate the participation of attendees during the Ramadan and we can assure meals and food at the needed time.
|Just before the event||* Wikimania Takes Lake Como.|
|Pre-conference||The pre-conference lasts two days and it includes
|Conference||The conference lasts three days and it includes the full program.|
|Post-conference||The post-conference lasts one day and allows meetups and the use of the collaborative space. During the post-conference the Wikimania meeting is organized.|
|Before and beyond Wikimania Esino Lario||To reach a wide public Wikimania is surely the right event. It highlights Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, it can generate media coverage and it is a chance to meet people engaged in it. But to have an efficient impact on a territory (in particular in a non-English speaking country with a conference in English) the conference needs to be framed on a wider program of activities.
Expected number of participants
We expect 700 participants at Wikimania Esino Lario and the event is designed for 1'000. At the moment, the events which have reached a larger number of participants have been Wikimania in English-speaking cities, including also daily registrations and occasional attendees. Having an event in English in a non English speaking countries has a specific impact on daily registrations and occasional attendees; we expect some people to pass-by (around 100 people who have a house in Esino Lario and 100 people for Milan area coming for the day), but Esino Lario is not a large city and – for how our event is conceived – the emphasis is on the people staying for the entire event and we are not focusing on occasional pass-by attendees.
A larger outreach program is designed through communication and with a specific series of presentations, meetings and training in Italian before and after the event; Wikimania is a great chance to provide visibility to the Wikimedia projects, but not all events and initaitves needs to take place during the conference week. Our plan is to take advantage of the Wikimania momentum to involve the territory and to reinforce the activities of Wikimedia Italia and Wikimedia CH.
It can be relevant to note that the planning of Wikimania Esino Lario has already allowed to establish links with Expo Milan 2015 (in the first months of planning we were considering organizing the event in 2015), and we had already meetings with provincial and regional public administrators, and with institutions and companies. We expect the implementation of the event to take full advantage of these contacts to foster communication of the Wikimedia projects and the implementation of the "before and after the event" program.
See also Wikimania/Target.
Hypothesis number of participants
|Estimated participants||Number||Lunch||Accommodation in Esino Lario||Accommodation Varenna (higher level 4 and 5 stars)||Pendular||Number of rides by bus if nobody among the pendular has a car||Possible car (and parking spots)|
|Organizers Wikimedia||100||100||100||Possible car||20|
|Organizers Esino Lario||100||50||House in Esino||Possible car||20|
|Organizers Extra||30||30||30||Possible car||6|
|Organizers from the territory||50||50||House in the area||50||Possible car||10|
|Attendees from Italy||50||50||40||10||10||Possible car||10|
|Wikimedia Chapters (board and staff)||100||100||100|
|Wikimedia Foundation (board, committee and staff)||100||100||77||23||23|
|Attendees from abroad (Europe + North America and Oceania). Including journalists.||80||80||70||10||10||Possible car|
|Researchers from Europe and US||40||40||30||10||10|
|Occasional visitors from Esino (conference days)||100||House in Esino||Possible car||20|
|Occasional visitors (conference days) - Including journalists from Milan and the territory, stakeholders||150||150||For the day||150||Possible car||30|
Hypothesis main interest of the participants
This hypothesis is only meant to have some references to plan flows (in participants possible numbers for pre-conference, conference and post-conference).
|Organizers (not included international)||Wikimedia, Esino Lario, Extra and from the territory||280||24%|
|Politics (board, staff, committee)||Wikimedia Foundation, chapters and 30% of the scholarships||275||24%|
|Active contributors||Half of the attendees from Italy and from Europe and US; half of the scholarships||190||17%|
|General - potential newbies||Half of the attendees from Italy and from Europe and US; 20% of the scholarships; occasional visitors||365||32%|
Hypothesis provenance of the participants
This hypothesis is only meant to have some references to plan transport, visa and flows (in participants possible numbers for pre-conference, conference and post-conference). This hypothesis is based on the numbers above (with the assumption that participants in an event in Italy might be more numerous from Italy and Europe) and it is based on the estimates below (related to Wikimedia Chapters and scholarships).
|Estimated location of arrival and departure||Number||Percentage|
|Varenna (probably trains from CH, DE)||61||11%|
|Airport Orio al Serio||61||11%|
|Estimated provenance (necessary to plan transport)||Number||Percentage||Total of non local||Percentage of non local|
|North America and Oceania||190||17%||190||33%|
|Wikimedia Chapters (board, staff, further scholarships) - Excluding Italy||Number||Percentage|
|North America and Oceania||5||5%|
All participants need to be registered. Registrations allows us to collect information about the participants before the event, to manage special needs (food, accommodation), to provide all participants with a personal insurance and to count the participants.
Through the registration process we can manage also the accommodation; we have been advised to rely on the registration system already used in Haifa (which already included the accommodation).
For the on-site registration we will have the support of Wikimedia Italia staff and maybe Wikimedia CH staff. There are several buildings in a very convenient location which can be used for the on-site registration. Initially we expected Villa Clotilde to be the most suitable space, but it appears new that it is a more appropriate space as an office, press office and space for small meetings and interviews. We will further discuss which is the most suitable space, when further details of the program are defined.
Villa Clotilde surrounded by a garden.
The entrance to Ex-Albergo Grigna (on the left); the square in front of it can be closed to the traffic.
The terrace of Ex-Albergo Grigna which can be equipped with small tensile structures.
The ground floor of the Collaborative space has two doors and large windows (useful to hang the shared schedule); the square can be closed to the traffic and equipped with small tensile structures.
The Meeting has four large windows (useful to hang the shared schedule) and a wide space on two levels with a gallery.
Italy is part of the Schengen area, which has a uniform visa policy: requirements can be strict but most Wikimania attendees will need no visa, or enjoy visa facilitation. Rejection rate for Schengen short-stay visa is less than 5% and as little as 1% for many countries: EU and Italy have good relations with almost all the countries in the world; in particular for Italy Middle East, Northern Africa and the Balcans, all countries quite poorly "served" by Wikimanias after Alexandria 2008.
Citizens of 73 countries will not need to worry about visa, making Wikimania Esino Lario the second most internationals-friendly Wikimania ever! You can easily check the requirements for your country, if any, with the Ministry's Do you need a visa? tool.
Free access (Schengen area)
- Czech republic
European Union free movement (non-Schengen countries)
- French territories of French Guyana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Réunion, Mayotte, Saint Barthélemy and Saint Martin
- United Kingdom
- Albania (+visa facilitations)
- Bosnia and Herzegovina (+visa facilitations)
- Brunei Darussalam
- Costa Rica
- El Salvador
- Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (+visa facilitations)
- Hong Kong SAR
- Macao SAR
- New Zealand
- Republic of Korea (South Korea)
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Serbia (+visa facilitations)
- United Arab Emirates
- United States of America
- Cape Verde
Visa procedures for Wikimania Esino Lario attendees will be managed by the staff of Wikimedia Italia. The staff has previous experience in managing visa requests for the Wikimedia Conference organized in 2013 in Milan; for this event the majority of the visa procedures were successfully managed; difficulties emerged for participants coming from the Philippines and Indonesia. To make sure all participants can apply for visa with the necessary support we set a proper timeline and the partnerships with Wikimedia CH will allow us to relay also on another country' procedures for visa requests, in case Italy present a more difficult situation.
Excursions in Switzerland
For participants coming from outside the Schengen area, to be able to make an excursion in Switzerland it is necessary that the visa is "Valid for Schengen area" (not a visa valid only for Italy). Please make sure to specify it when you make the visa request.
Cost for participants
Through scholarships, support of institutions (i.e. Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia chapters, university fund) or directly, participants will pay for:
- Registration cost. The registration cost is the cost of lunch (10 € / 13,37 $ during pre-conference and post-conference, and 16 € / 22 $ during the conference) and the cost of insurance (10 € / 13.70 $).
- Dinner. The cost of dinners is from 10 €.
- Accommodation. The cost of a shared room in Esino Lario with breakfast will be 20 € in apartments and dorms.
- Transport to Esino Lario. For the costs for traveling to Esino Lario (by airplane, train and car/caravan) please refer to Esino Lario/Location#Travelling to Esino Lario. We expect direct cost of transport from airports to Esino Lario to be below 25 € / 34,37 $ one way (the regular cost of public transport from Malpensa is 18,85 € / 25,92 $; we estimated the cost of direct transport by planing the cost of 50 people busses - 500 euro / 687,48 $ - divided by only 20 people, to manage the risk).
The estimated costs below include direct transport from the airports and provide an idea to calculate costs for participants and scholarships. Those estimated costs do not include the costs for visa.
|Estimated cost to attend conference||Cost||Days||Total in euro||Total in dollars|
|Cost lunch during the conference||€16,00||3||€48,00||$66,00|
|Cost dinner (avaradge)||€15,00||4||€60,00||$82,50|
|Cost bed in a shared room||€20,00||4||€80,00||$110,00|
|Roundtrip from the airport||€50,00||€50,00||$68,75|
|Total estimated cost to attend conference||€248,00||$340,99|
|Plus travel costs to Milan||Plus travel costs to Milan|
|Estimated cost to attend preconference+conference||Cost||Days||Total in euro||Total in dollars|
|Cost lunch during the preconference||€10,00||2||€20,00||$27,50|
|Cost lunch during the conference||€16,00||3||€48,00||$66,00|
|Cost bed in a shared room||€20,00||6||€120,00||$164,99|
|Roundtrip from the airport||€50,00||€50,00||$68,75|
|Total estimated cost to attend preconference+conference||€338,00||$464,73|
|Plus travel costs to Milan||Plus travel costs to Milan|
Scholarships and guests
International scholarships will be managed as usual by the Scholarship Committee. We have drafted a proposal to contribute to the brainstorming on how to improve the scholarship system for Wikimania.
Italian volunteers and guests
|Expense||Number||Days||Cost/Unit||Total in euro||Total in dollars|
|Insurance for the volunteers||200||€10,00||€2.000,00||$2.744,98|
|Travel expenses volunteers||50||€50,00||€2.500,00||$3.431,23|
|Travel expenses volunteers||50||€100,00||€5.000,00||$6.862,45|
|Accommodation and food||50||9||€50,00||€22.500,00||$30.881,03|
|Accommodation and food||50||5||€50,00||€12.500,00||$17.156,13|
|Lunch for volunteer resident||50||8||€10,00||€4.000,00||$5.489,96|
|Lunch for guests (companies, workers, stakeholders)||150||€16,00||€166,00||$227,83|
|Insurance for guests (companies, workers, stakeholders)||150||€10,00||€1.500,00||$2.058,74|
|Welcome bag and thank you t-shirt for volunteers||200||€5,00||€1.000,00||$1.372,49|
|Total amount planned in the estimated costs||€51.166,00||$70.224,82|
Volunteers will be invited to support the event through their associations, among those: Wikimedia chapters (in particular Wikimedia Italia and Wikimedia CH), associations in Esino Lario (Pro Loco, Alpini, Soccorso Val d'Esino, CAI, group of teachers, Amici del Museo delle Grigne), networks of local associations (in particular Pro Loco and Alpini), like-minded associations and groups (Creative Commons, Open Street Map - which in Italy is already linked to Wikimedia Italia, Linux groups and other open software and open knowledge groups and associations). We are also exploring the possibility of involving the association STS Italia - Società Italiana di Studi su Scienza e Tecnologia (Italian society of studies on science and technology), which is an association of researchers which could also contribute to the evaluation of Wikimania Esino Lario.
The organization of Wikimania in Esino Lario presents a specific complexity. For this reason we have been working on an executive plan in collaboration and with a strong involvement of the local community, institutions, operators and experts in specific fields. The executive plan is guarantees that all the different challenges are addressed and managed, and that the proposal is ready to be implemented.
The fundamental principles by which Wikimania Esino Lario operates can be summarized in five "pillars":
- Collaboration. The team is one team, which includes all the people involved, who are already Wikimedians or not. The edit button exists also offline, and Wikimedians are all the people who want to modify things to share their knowledge and to support the growth, development and distribution of free, multilingual, educational content. We include all the project contributors in the organizing team, we attribute work, we design a program meant for different kind of participants, we include in a transversal way the interests and needs of different people, we make sure participants are in the best conditions to obtain a visa, we select for scholarships dedicated members which need economic support to participate (through a transparent process which provides full - really full - or partial scholarships, according to the needs), and we plan an inclusive and collaborative event.
- Scalability. We are not planning one event, we are planning a format which can be replicated in other places. We document what we are doing and how we do it, we produce guidelines for the future and to involve people who can contribute further to other events; we look for solutions which can be relevant for other contexts.
- What already exists. Priority is given to local suppliers and to tap on existing resources. We look at previous experiences and we build on it.
- What can last. Priority is given to invest in what lasts beyond the event. We reduce to the minimum all the expenses related to the ephemeral and we invest time, energy and budget in what is useful and relevant beyond the event.
- Experimenting and having fun. We gather for the pleasure of it.
Wikimania Esino Lario is a conference promoted by Wikimedia Italia and Wikimedia CH in partnership with Esino Lario city council, Ecomuseo delle Grigne, Pro Loco Esino Lario, Parco Regionale della Grigna Settentionale and the Esino Lario local associations and community. Please refer to the support of institutions. Wikimania Esino Lario team is composed mainly of volunteers, it will have a specific staff and it will be implemented also with the support of some of the staff of Wikimedia Italia and Wikimedia CH.
The group promoting Wikimania Esino Lario is composed by volunteers. We had the support of the project manager Giulia Sepe at the begging of 2014, managed and financed by Wikimedia Italia. The majority of the people involved in Wikimania Esino Lario are volunteers and the event is lead by volunteers.
- Group of promoter. The group of promoter is composed of Wikimedians, and other volunteers. We have involved in the team a series of people who have the specific skills to help us in the planning and who can advice with their expertise. Among the team there are volunteers with experience in attending Wikimania and engaged in the Wikimedia movement, there are representatives of associations of Esino Lario and people managing the buildings we will be using, two former mayors of Esino Lario, an engineer with an expertise in infrastructures and safety (the Italian regulation is pretty precise and complex), and – just to provide some examples – an expert in ICT for development with experience in connectivity in rural areas of Sierra Leone in Sub-Saharian Africa, other experts in ICT (servers, hardware, systems), an expert in audio systems, experts in art, cultural events and tourism, a consultant for catering who will be working for our event as food curator. We are also benefitting from the advice of a large group of people: we have informed and met representatives of public administrations at a provincial and regional level, we received a lot of help from the staff of the Esino Lario city council providing us with information and the urban plans to update OpenSteetMap, we received advice from the executive director of the Comunità Montana della Valsassina, Valvarrone, Val d'Esino e Riviera and really a large number of people in Esino Lario has not only supported us by confirming apartments and private meeting rooms but also by suggesting solutions, spaces and contacts. Really a long list of people we need to thank and we hope we can work with further. At the moment people met in Esino Lario during site-visits, meetings and presentations, we have a mailing list in Italian created by Wikimedia Italia and we exchanged by email; for the implementation of the project we will organize the group of promoter in smaller teams to allow people to collaborate and exchange more closely.
- Volunteers during the event. During the event we expect 300 volunteers to contribute to Wikimania Esino Lario
- 100-150 volunteers based in Esino Lario.
- 100 Wikimedians mainly from Italy and Switzerland and some international volunteers involved in particular in the program.
- 50-100 volunteers from Italy not necessarily linked to Wikimedia (i.e. volunteers recruited in local high schools and universities).
- Volunteer service (before-after the event). We are browsing the possibility of supporting further the involvement of volunteers by creating links with existing volunteer programs (essentially Italian and European). We have contacted two youth organizations who have experience in this field; we don't have jet a conformation of their involvement. Existing volunteer programs can allow us to involve volunteers longer than during the event. this would be an interesting option to have some people contributing to the preparation of the event; we already have accommodation which can be used to host them.
We expect the management of the project to require the involvement of some staff; staff can guarantee continuity and it can take care of a more regular work which will be needed before the event (coordination, management of the participants and administrative work). Another task which might require support from staff is transport management. At an early stage of the planning, we expected a series of tasks to require staff; during the planning process we have produced an executive project, we have involved a series of partners and we have started and tested the collaboration with a group of volunteers; some of the tasks we expected to need staff appear to be manageable by volunteers or partners.
At the moment we already benefit from the involvement of some staff of the partner institutions (in-kind contribution):
- Wikimedia Italia staff. Through partnerships we have already secured the contribution of Wikimedia Italia for the communication of the event (newsletter and other media used by Wikimedia Italia) and during the conference (on-site registration with 3 people for 7 days); this contribution is in-kind (it involves staff already collaborating with Wikimedia Italia). We are discussing with Wikimedia Italia board the possibility of increasing the contribution of their staff with a co-funding from a grantmaker.
- Wikimedia CH staff. We have asked Wikimedia CH an in-kind contribution of 4 staff members to work with us during the event; Wikimedia CH can also contribute to facilitate the visa process for specific countries.
- Esino Lario city council. We can benefit for Wikimania Esino Lario of the collaboration of two people involved in the Esino Lario tourist office as in-kind contribution, and the staff of the city council has already supported us during the planning process. Another interesting asset of the collaboration with the city council is the possibility to extend the collaboration with some of their suppliers.
- Wikimedia Foundation. If selected Wikimania Esino Lario can take the advantage of having the involvement and support of the event coordinator of Wikimedia Foundation.
We have requested an estimated cost to an event company for the management of the transports (5'000 euro + VAT) and the coordination of the event (20'000 euro + VAT). We include in the budget a general amount for staff.
The coordination of the event requires:
- checking the project status with meetings and calls
- checking apartments, hotels, dorms, food providers, venues, transport and equipment. This is a task which can be implements directly or with the team in Esino Lario; it is important thought to check that all information is collected and updated.
- checking the budget and updating it with the administration
- managing problems
- updating the websites with the information (to allow all people involved to be aware of the status - on https://wikimaniateam.wikimedia.org or on meta if information can be publicly shared)
- producing the necessary reports
- contributing to the management of the event during Wikimania week.
The management of the participants includes:
- managing the online registration system
- supporting the visa process
- providing support to the participants (accommodation, transport, problems, help desk)
- contributing to the management of the event during Wikimania week.
The administrative work includes:
- verifying bills, checking pre-invoices and contracts before the payment and eventually the necessary authorizations, processing payments
- updating and checking with the management the budget
- updating the calendar of payments and income (checking and monitoring the cash flow)
- regularly checking the account (checking and monitoring the cash flow)
- archiving bills
- making the financial reports
Compared to other events, Wikimania Esino Lario is organized with many suppliers. Below an estimation of the suppliers and payments.
|Estimated providers for area||Number|
|Bills per year for the staff||60|
Accounting and bookkeeping
At the moment Wikimania Esino Lario is involving a series of institutions. The Ecomuseo delle Grigne (managed by the Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus and civic institution of the Esino Lario City Council) and the Esino Lario City Council are currently promoting the event among Italian grantmakers. The Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus as manager of the Ecomuseo delle Grigne – in partnerships with Wikimedia Italia – is applying for a grant to the Cariplo Foundation (including management costs for a 2-years project) and it can assure to manage grants and budget in a transparent and accountable way.
Biographies of the team
|Image||Name||Last name||Involvement||Based||Skills / biography||Wikimania experience||Team||Contacts|
|Andyrom75||Andyrom75||Volunteer||Italy, Florence area||Member of Wikimedia Italia, very active on wikivoyage in Italian.||Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong.||Documentation, wikivoyage||User:Andyrom75|
|Ilenia||Atzori||Volunteer||Italy, Sardinia||Active member of Wikimedia Italia. Involved in Wiki Loves Monuments. Bachelor in Operator for cultural tourism and experience as a tourist guide. [it], [en].||Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong.||Program, wikiexcursions.|
|Fabio||Baioni||Volunteer||Italy, Milan area||Active member of Wikimedia Italia. Work in ICT and he has experience in||Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong, Wikimania 2014 London.||Technical, equipment||User:Fabexplosive|
|Piercarlo||Barindelli||Volunteer||Italy, Esino||Member of associations and groups in Esino Lario (Soccorso Val d'Esino, Esino 2000, CAI). Works in a studio of an architect.||/||Location|
|Domenico||Berardinelli||Volunteer||Barcellona, Spain||Experience in designing and coordinating public programmes both for cultural and educational organizations. In addition, works in the sector of communication 2.0, specifically dealing with social media management for arts & design. [it], [en], [es].||/||Program, special events, art curator.|
|Elvezia||Bertarini||Volunteer||Italy, Esino||Teacher at Esino Lario primary school; involvement in off school activities and workshops.||/||Location|
|Tecla||Bertarini||Volunteer||Italy, Esino||Student in Natural Sciences (Master), collaboration with the city council of Esino Lario (tourist office) and Comunità Montana della Valsassina, Valvarrone, Val d'Esino e Riviera (excursions, activities for children, workshops). [it], [en].||/||Location|
|Roberta||Bonetti||Volunteer||Italy, Florence area||Anthropologist, Ph.D. with a specialization in education and intercultural learning. Professor in Bologna and Bolzano, cofounder and board member of the Italian society of applied anthropology (SIAA Società Italiana di Antropologia Applicata), and member of the scientific committee of the association Associazione Mani Altri Sguardi. [it], [en], [fr].||/||Evaluation||CV in Italian|
|Carlo||Borgia||Volunteer||Italy, Esino||Former member of Esino Lario city council, hear of tourism and coordinator of the program of events in Esino Lario.||/||Location|
|Niccolò||Caranti||Volunteer||Italy||Photographer and active member of Wikimedia Italia. [it], [en].||Wikimania 2011 Haifa, Wikimania 2012 Washington DC, Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong.||Documentation, Photos of the event.||user:Jaqen|
|Mauro||Cassina||Volunteer||Switzerland, Ticino||Wikimedia CH board member. Wikimedian, Wikipedian and photographer. He has worked in the field of events and catering and he currently works in the field of renewable and alternative energy.||Documentation, Photos of the event.||User:Cassinam|
|Marco||Chemello||Volunteer||Italy, Vicenza area||Architect with experience in working in innovative projects involving both communication and technology. Co-promoter the Festival delle libertà digitali (Festival of digital freedom). Active member of Wikimedia Italia.||/||Program, chair of the sessions||user:Marcok|
|Cristian||Consonni||Volunteer||Italy, Trento and Milan area||Wikimedia Italia board member - treasurer, Wikipedian, Wikimedian. Researcher at the Bruno Kessler Foundation. [it], [en], [fr]||Wikimania 2010 Gdansk, Wikimania 2012 Washington DC, Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong, Wikimania 2014 London.||Wikimedia Italia board||User:CristianCantoro|
|Roberto||Corda||Volunteer||Italy, Milan||Wikipedian and Wikimedian. Works in ICT.||Wikimania 2005 Frankfurt.|
|Ornella||Costanzo||Volunteer||Italy, Turin area||Project and content manager in the field of culture and video, with experience in multimedia museum design, production of documentaries, audience and crossmedia design. Executive Producer at Studio Azzurro Produzioni s.r.l.||/||Program, special events, art curator.||[it.linkedin.com/pub/ornella-costanzo/a/aa9/b50 linkedin]|
|Dario||Crespi||Volunteer||Italy, Milan area||Active member of Wikimedia Italia. Involved in Wiki Loves Monuments, Archeowiki and BustopediA. Wikipedian and OSM user. [it], [en].||Wikimania 2014 London.||Open Street Map||User:Yiyi|
|Elisa||Dell'Era||Volunteer||Italy, Esino / Lecco||Former member of Esino Lario city council. University degree in economics, she has been working for several years in event planning on Lake Como. She has also experience in managing a 1'000 participants conference.||/||Location|
|Giovanni||Dell'Era||Volunteer||Italy, Esino||Former major of Esino Lario. Quantitative surveyor (geometra) and municipal engineer (tecnico comunale).||/||Location, chair|
|Simona||Dell'Era||Volunteer||Italy, Esino||[it], [en].||/||Location|
|Shani||Evenstein||Volunteer||Israel||Involved in Wikimedia projects related to GLAMs, education and outreach. Teaching experience. She works at Tel-Aviv University [TAU], at the Sackler School of Medicine.||Wikimania 2011 Haifa, Wikimania 2012 Washington DC, Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong, Wikimania 2014 London.||Program||User:Esh77|
|Tommaso||Fara||Volunteer||Italy, Milan||Consultant and collaborator for an organization of catering; he is specialized in proposing menus, organizing thematic lunches and dinners, and experimenting new recopies and traditional and innovative cooking techniques. He is the author of radio programs about cuisine and of the books “Il cucchiaino caramellato” (DeAgostini, 2005), “La cucina a impatto [quasi] zero” (in collaboration with Lisa Casali, Edizioni Gribaudo, 2010) and “Diversamente cotto: Metodi di cottura e strumenti tra tradizione e innovazione” (Edizioni Gribaudo, 2012); he is the curator of eight volumes on Italian cuisine for DeAgostini (2007-2008). He also works as restorer of antiquities.||/||Location, food curator|
|Susanna||Giaccai||volunteer||Italy, Firenze||Wikimedia Italia member. Librarian.||/||Program||User:Giaccai|
|Isla||Haddow||Volunteer||South Africa, Cape Town||Project manager WikiAfrica, board member Wikimedia ZA [en].||Wikimania 2011 Haifa, Wikimania 2012 Washington DC, Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong, Wikimania 2014 London.||Program||User:Islahaddow|
|Michele||Lavazza||Volunteer||Italy, Milan||Wikipedian, Wikimedian. Student in philosophy. [it], [en], [fr].||Wikimania 2014 London.||Program||MLWatts|
||Attended 2010 and 2011 kickstarting a renewed Italian delegation; into Wikimania discussions since then; watched since 2007.||Scholarship working group, chair||User:Nemo bis|
|Lorenzo||Losa||Volunteer||Italy, Milan area and Pisa||Former Wikimedia Italia board member, Wikipedian, Wikimedian.||Wikimania 2011 Haifa, Wikimania 2012 Washington DC, Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong, Wikimania 2014 London.||Wikimedia Italia board||User:Laurentius|
|Ester||Maglia||Volunteer||Italy, Esino||Manages Esino Lario tourist office and she is involved with Pro Loco in the organization of events. Student in pharmacy.||/||Location|
|Luca||Martinelli||Volunteer||Italy, Rome area||Wikimedia Italia board member.||Wikimania 2011 Haifa, Wikimania 2012 Washington DC, Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong, Wikimania 2014 London.||Evaluation, chair||user:sannita|
|Lara||Marziali||Volunteer||Italy, Bologna||Wikimedian and Wikipedian||Wikimania 2012 Washington DC, Wikimania 2014 London.||Social network||User:.laramar.|
|Giusy||Nasazzi||Volunteer||Italy, Esino||Teacher in Esino Lario Kindergarten.||/||Location|
|Nicola||Nasazzi||Volunteer||Italy, Esino||Former member of Esino Lario city council.||/||Location|
|Serena||Nasazzi||Volunteer||Italy, Esino||Treasurer of the association Pro Loco in Esino Lario. She has been organizing and managing events in Esino.||/||Location|
|Giuditta||Nelli||Volunteer||Italy, Genova area||Artist.||/||Program, special events|
|Alberto||Nogara||Volunteer||Italy, Taceno||Architect, former architect for Comunità Montana Valsassina Valvarrone Val d'Esino e Riviera, competence and experience on the territory and public administrations.||/||Location|
|Giammario||Ortelli||Volunteer||Italy, Esino Lario||Former Esino Lario city council, vice-mayor.||/||Location|
|Roberto||Paci Dalò||Volunteer||Italy, Rimini||Artist and composer. [it], [en], [fr].||/||Documentation, technical and Special events||Roberto Paci Dalò|
|Iolanda||Pensa||Volunteer||Italy, Milan / Esino||Experience in directing and managing international projects, and in fundraising, research and communication. Interdisciplinary academic studies (university degree in medieval art history, thesis in contemporary art, Ph.D. in anthropology and territorial government and planning). Experience in problem-solving, international youth exchanges and social work. Coordinator of the Ecomuseo delle Grigne. Wikipedian and Wikimedian, volunteer in Esino Lario. [it], [en], [fr].||Wikimania 2011 Haifa, Wikimania 2012 Washington DC, Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong, Wikimania 2014 London.||Promoter||iopensa|
|Carlo Maria Pensa||Pensa||Volunteer||Italy, Lake Como / Esino||Engineer and businessman. As a volunteer - among other activities - mayor of Esino Lario for 10 years, involved in the Comunità Montana, president of Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne. Deep knowledge of the territory.||/||Location and promoter|
|Pietro||Pensa||Volunteer||Italy, Milan area / Esino||Architect and engineer. He is specialized in safety and security issues. He is one of the professional experts in-charge of safety and security for Expo Milan 2015 buildings.||/||Location, security and infrastructural upgrades|||
|Alberto||Pinto||Volunteer||Italy, Milan area / Switzerland, Ticino||Expertise in sound and acoustics (BS-MS in pure mathematics, MS in applied physics focusing on digital signal processing perceptual audio coding and music information and Ph.D. in computer science at the University of Milan and visiting scholar at the Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics at Stanford University; he is the director of the CESMA, a European Centre for Studies in Music and Acoustics based in Lugano). He is also plays the organ (conservatory of Milan, Haute Ecole de Musique de Genève, organist of San Bartolomeo church in Milan, Prize of the National Organ Competition of Viterbo - CariVit and the "Pierre Segond" Prize - City of Geneva)||/||Technical, sound|||
|Vincent||Plisson||Volunteer||France / UK / South Africa||Graphic designer. He has been working in Great Britain, France and South Africa.||/||Communication|||
|Remulazz||Remulazz||Volunteer||Italy, Milan area||Wikipedian.||/||Documentation, geography||User:Remulazz|
|Simone||Sala||Volunteer||Italy, Milan; Switzerland, Lugano||9-year experience in a wide range of cross-sectorial applications of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) for Sustainable Development in emerging regions. Proven ability to design and deliver tailored ICT-related projects and programmes to both non-governmental organizations and governmental institutions in Bangladesh, Bolivia, Ghana, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Senegal, United States of America. [it], [en], [fr], [es].||/||Technical, chair|
|Ginevra||Sanvitale||Volunteer||Italy, Bologna area / South Corea||Wikimedia Italia board member. Specific interest in gender activities and projects (in Italy and at large), collaboration in WLM communication. [it], [en], [es].||Wikimania 2011 Haifa, Wikimania 2012 Washington DC, Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong.||Program, general coordinator||User:Atropine|
|Catherine||de Senarclens||Volunteer||Italy, Lake Como / Esino||Experience in organizing events (school exchanges, trips of the Associazione Amici del Museo), volunteer coordinator, editor of books and excellent organizational and relational skills. Former English teacher and vice-headmaster of a linguistic high school. [it], [fr], [en], [de].||/||Location, accommodation|
|Giulia||Sepe||Wikimedia Italia staff||Italy, Milan||Project manager, experience in organizing and implement large-scale events, project manager of the Wikimedia Conference 2013 in Milan. [it], [en], [es], [fr].||/||Wikimania Esino Lario bid project manager, start-up phase December 2013 - March 2014.|
|Chiara||Somajni||Volunteer||Germany, Berlin||Independent journalist, formerly employed at Il Sole 24 Ore (major Italian financial newspaper), writing, editing, focus on culture and technology. Board member of ActionAid International. [it], [en], [de].||Participated in Wikimania 2005 Frankfurt.||Program, relationships with keynotes.|
|Francesco||Tarantini||Volunteer||Italy, Milan area||Experience in coordinating nursing and health medical services, former member of Wikimedia Italia board, member of Wikimedia Italia active on Wikipedia medical content. Former board member of Italian Red Cross volunteers of Milan committee. Nursing degree's adjunct professor at University of Milan.||Participated in the Wikimedia Conference in Milan.||Safety, coordinator nursing and health medical services and accessibility||linkedin - User:Franciaio|
|Leigh||Thelmadatter||Coordinator-Wiki Borregos Tec de Monterrey||Mexico||Language professor in Mexico's largest private university system. I have worked with Wikipedia in English-as-a-foreign-language classes since 2007. Since 2011, I have coordinated efforts to develop a Wikipedia Education program at the school with projects in classrooms, to fulfill community service requirements and organize events such as photo contests related to Mexico's culture. These efforts have been recently re-organized under the name of "Wiki Borregos" (name of school mascot), accepted by the school system but still in process to be recognized as a user group by the Foundation. [en], [es]||Wikimania 2012 Washington DC speaker.||Program|
|Ilario||Valdelli||Wikimedia CH staff||Switzerland, Lugano||Excellent knowledge of the territory of Wikimania Esino Lario, network in Italy and Switzerland, experience of organizing and contributing to Wikimedia events, strong engagement in the movement. Community manager in Ticino Switzerland for Wikimedia CH, he also works in ICT. [it], [en], [fr].||Member of the jury of previous Wikimania. Wikimania 2014 London.||Program, Wikimania Takes Lake Como, activities in Ticino Switzerland.||User:ilario, linkedin|
|Fabio||Vanin||Volunteer||Italy, Venice||Architect and urban designer, Ph.D. in Urbanism. He worked as project leader for several strategic plans in Europe (Antwerp, Gent, Gorzow, Poznan) and Africa (Nairobi), and as research assistant at TU Eindhoven and at University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. He is the co-founder of Latitude: Platform for Urban Research and Design.||/||Location||Linkedin, site|
|Fiorenzo||Viglienghi||Volunteer||Italy, Esino||Former bus driver of the local company, knowledge and network of the local transport and bus companies, extensive experience in driving busses in the area (also very large vehicles)||/||Transport (local reference person)|
|Giovanni||Viglienghi||Volunteer||Italy, Esino||Entrepreneur in Esino Lario, president of the Alpini, former member of Esino Lario city council.||/||Location|
Target and communication tools
Please note that the working team is made of all people working on the organization of Wikimania, regardless of where they are based.
|People involved in Wikimania at an international level||
|Wikimedia community in Italy and like-minded organizations||
|Wikimedia community in Switzerland and like-minded organizations||
|Members of Wikimedia Italia||
|Members of Wikimedia Switzerland||
|Potential attendees from all-over the world||
|Attendees (communication before, during and after the event).||
|Media and press||
Relationships with local media are important to inform about Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, to provide people of the territory a calendar of events and presentations related to Wikipedia/Wikimedia and to involve volunteers in contributing to the Wikimedia projects and in supporting the organization of Wikimania. Local media are also essential to involve potential local sponsors: Lake Como area and Valsassina are not only touristic area, but they also have a lively industrial production and some national-size companies.
|Name||Type||Language||Level of Wikipedia-issues Coverage||Website|
|La Provincia di Lecco||local newspaper||Italian||almost none||http://www.laprovinciadilecco.it|
|Giornale di Lecco||local newspaper||Italian||almost none||http://www.giornaledilecco.it|
|La Provincia di Sondrio||local newspaper||Italian||almost none||http://www.laprovinciadisondrio.it|
|Giornale del Popolo (Ticino)||local newspaper||Italian||almost none||http://www.gdp.ch|
|Il Giornale del Ticino||local newspaper||Italian||almost none||http://www.giornaledelticino.ch|
|Il Corriere del Ticino||local newspaper||Italian||almost none||http://www.cdt.ch|
|Lago di Como - lakecomo.it||Online information website||Italian and English||almost none||http://www.lakecomo.it/en|
|Terra di laghi (Italy and Ticino)||Online information website||Italian||none||http://www.terradilaghi.com|
|Il Lago di Como Orientale (Oriental side of Lake Como)||Online information website||Italian, English, German||none||http://www.larioorientale.eu|
|VAOL.IT - Quotidiano online della Valtellina, Valchiavenna, Lago di Lecco e Como||Online information website||Italian||almost none||http://www.vaol.it/it/|
|Valsassina News||Online information website||Italian||almost none||http://www.valsassinanews.com|
National media have been already involved in the communication of Wiki Loves Monuments in Italy. Relationships with national media are important to inform the Italian bid and eventually Wikimania in Italy, to recruit volunteers in contributing to the Wikimedia projects and in supporting the organization of Wikimania, and to target national sponsors.
|Name||Type||Language||Level of Wikipedia-issues Coverage||Website|
|ANSA||Press information / news||Italian||http://www.ansa.it|
|Corriere della Sera||national newspaper||Italian|
|La Repubblica||national newspaper||Italian|
|Il Sole 24 Ore (with Nova - technological focussed paper and Cultura - cultural pages on Sunday)||national newspaper||Italian|
|La Stampa||national newspaper||Italian|
|Radio 3 (cultural programmes; in particular Fahrenheit does direct recordings/interviews during events; Radio 3 Mondo)||radio||Italian||http://www.radio3.rai.it|
|Radio 2 (entertainment programs; in particular Caterpillar)||radio||Italian||http://www.radio2.rai.it|
|RSI Radio Svizzera Italiana||radio||Italian||http://www.rsi.ch/home.html|
For local and national media relationships the focus is both on Italy and Switzerland. Other international media are involved in collaboration with Wikimedia Foundation (review press kits and contact management). The relationship with international media taps on current links and contacts and it focuses on the theme of Wikimania which in Esino Lario goes green and sustainable.
|Expense||Number||Days||Cost/Unit||Total in euro||Total in dollars|
|Participants package||1.000||€ 5||€5.000||$6.862,45|
|Total amount planned in the estimated costs||€10.000||$13.724,90|
|1. Organizing a pleasant and affordable conference designed for 1'000 participants.||Wikimania in Esino Lario
|2. Testing a new collaborative format for Wikimania.||
|3. Develop a sustainable Wikimania, which generates a long-term impact on the territory where it is organized (scalable experience).||
|Coffee breaks preconference||Food||€5||700||2||€7.000||$8.736|
|Coffee breaks conference||Food||€5||1000||3||€15.000||$18.720|
|Welcome reception/party and closing party||Food||€13||1000||2||€26.000||$32.448|
|Accommodation+breakfast for organizers, volunteers, guests||Participants||€15||200||5||€15.000||$18.720|
|Transport for organizers, volunteers, guests||Participants||€ 50||200||€10.000||$12.480|
|Busses from the airports||Participants||€ 450||8||3||€10.800||$13.478|
|Insurance + SIAE||Venue||€10.000||$12.480|
|Meeting rooms (staircases for security, electrical system check, rented forniture, cleaning)||Venue||€30.000||$37.440|
|Equipment rental/A-V expense||Technical||€13.000||$16.224|
|Audio visual, recording and uploads (no streaming planned)||Communication||€4.000||$4.992|
|Registration packet (lanyards, badge holders, bag, t-shirts, conference brochure)||Communication||€10||1000||€10.000||$12.480|
|Registration (charges for the system, rental of equipment for the on-site registration and badges)||Organization||€3.205||$4.000|
|Staff (management, communication consultant)||Organization||€16.026||$20.000|
Currency exchange 1 euro = $1,248
Fundraising for Wikimania Esino Lario 2016 has started. Until now we have:
- Secured a technical support for communication materials of a value of 3'000-5'000 euro by the company A+E Milano srl.
- Secured a support from Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus of 10'000 euro in the frame of the project "Villa Clotilde Expo 2015".
- Secured a support from the Esino Lario City Council of 10'000 euro in the frame of the project "Villa Clotilde Expo 2015" (3'000 euro in-kind staff of the tourist office).
- Secured a support from ODL company of 5'000 euro.
- Secured support in-kind staff Wikimedia Italia during the event (not included in the budget).
- Secured support in-kind staff Comunità Montana for excursions during the event (not included in the budget).
- Requested a support from Lombardy Region of 37'000 euro in the frame of the project "Villa Clotilde Expo 2015" (pending).
- Requested a support from Fondazione Banca del Monte di Lombardia for 80'000 euro for the renovation of the former cinema which will be used during Wikimania (decision around March 2015). https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_Qyy_nzLhZEcklPbEdGV0xDZG8&usp=drive_web
- Requested support in-kind staff Wikimedia CH during the event.
- Presented the pre-project to Cariplo Foundation with a request of 200'000 euro (pending).
- Started the discussion with Telecom Italia – a major Italian communication company - for the technical support to Esino Lario connectivity during Wikimania. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_Qyy_nzLhZEUzhIVFF1UXk2a0k&usp=drive_web
- Started the discussion with a major international lightening company for a technical support to Esino Lario lightening (buildings and outdoor). https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_Qyy_nzLhZEeVhwZnNTS3phcjQ&usp=drive_web
It is also important to mention that we are already benefitting from the support of a lot of people. We took advantage of a lot of volunteer work, we had the contribution of Wikimedia Italia to cover the cost of a dedicated person to help us with the planning, we had reduced prices from restaurants, bars, hotels and dorms; people are providing their apartments for a reimbursement; the Esino Lario city council and private owners are providing meeting rooms for free and some apartments owners are also giving us their flats and houses for free. A nice story is a lady that at the very beginning of the planning immediately signed the support to the event, gave her entire beautiful villa in Esino Lario for free, and she also offered to give us 1'000 € / 1'371 $ to support the event.
Documentation about the fundraising https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B_Qyy_nzLhZEZFpmalRXbFRmOXc
Request to Wikimedia Foundation
We are making a request to Wikimedia Foundation of 250'000 $ (190'000 euro).
Wikimedia Foundation grant will cover the specific costs of the event. Even if not directly associated to territorial development, the grant from Wikimedia Foundation is supporting grant-seeking as a co-funding, with a multiplier effect which creates benefits for a broader audience. Furthermore, the expenses associated to territorial development relate to connectivity, accessibility and collaborative work.
Planned income from registrations
Attending Wikimania sessions and events is free of charge. Registration is necessary to properly plan and implement the event, and the registration fee covers lunch. This approach have the advantage that scholarships, institutions supporting specific participants (i.e. Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia chapters, university fund) and participants will pay for a cost associated directly to their participation. Differently from other venues in which catering is basically a fixed cost, at Wikimania Esino Lario we can take advantage of restaurants and bars, which allows the cost to be reduced if the number of participants is less. The estimated cost of lunch in the budget corresponds to the planned income from registrations (and it can decrease accordingly).
|Communication materials sponsor AE Milano||Confirmed||€5.000||$6.240|
|Contribution associazione amici del museo grigne (permanent equipment)||Confirmed||€10.000||$12.480|
|Contribution sponsor ODL||Confirmed||€5.000||$6.240|
|Participants registration fee||Reasonable||€ 50||1000||€50.000||$62.400|
|Transport from the airport to the venue paid by participants when they register||Reasonable||€450||8||3||€10.800||$13.478|
Currency exchange 1 euro = $1,248
|Wikimedia Italia||With general assembly vote in October 2013 (further specified in April 2014), Wikimedia Italia is promoter of Wikimania Esino Lario.
|Wikimedia CH||With the board resolution in February 2014, Wikimedia CH supports and co-promotes Wikimania Esino Lario.
Wikimedia CH could be the institution applying to Swiss grant-makers.
|Esino Lario city council||It has expressed its support September 2013; the city council has also produced a board resolution which officially supports the bid.
|Ecomuseo delle Grigne and Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus (managing non profit association of the ecomuseum)||It has expressed its support September 2013. The Ecomuseo delle Grigne is an Esino Lario civic institution managed by the Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus.
|Pro Loco Esino Lario||It has expressed its support September 2013. Pro Loco will be partner of the event and it will directly promote activities and initiatives in Esino Lario. It will have a key role in managing volunteers and in taking care of some of the tasks necessary to implement the event in Esino Lario. Pro Loco are local associations meant to manage events. The involvement of Pro Loco Esino Lario is a great advantage for the event because of its experience and because of the specific legislative advantages local Pro Loco have. A meeting between Pro Loco and Wikimedia Italia is necessary to define a partnership agreement, but in general we already envision the role of Pro Loco Esino Lario as following
|Comunità montana della Valsassina Valvarrone Val d'Esino e Riviera and Regional Grigne Park||Support letter received February 2014 and renovated in December 2014 by the new president.
|Company ODL||Confirmation of financial support of 5'000 euro received November 2014. ODL is a local company which expresses with its contribution the support to Esino Lario, its territory and community.|
|Company A+E Milano srl||Confirmation of in-kind support (correspondent to a value of 3'000-5'000 euro) received November 2014. The company is a communication company producing graphics, prints, leaflets, brochures, and other communication materials. Its support will be used for the communication materials of Wikimania (welcome beds, program)|
Support from the Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Center
Support from the Comunità Montana della Valsassina Valvarrone Val d'Esino e Riviera and Regional Grigne Park, February 2014
Renovated support from the newly elected president of Comunità Montana della Valsassina Valvarrone Val d'Esino e Riviera and Regional Grigne Park, December 2014 (English)
Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus 10'000 euro
ODL company 5'000 euro
A+E Milano srl 3'000-5'000 euro
Project proposal Villa Clotilde Expo 2015 with support of the Esino Lario city council
Politecnico di Milano
- Google map.
- According to the car size, http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/ita/c_tariffe_1.asp.
- According to the car size, http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/ita/c_tariffe_1.asp.
- Report of the meeting 14 October 2013, https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Qyy_nzLhZERlpBcXQ2N0E0R0E/edit.
- Calculated on a 7 hours day.
- 40 minutes to go and 40 minutes to come back; plus 20 minutes stop.
- 15 minutes to go and 15 minutes to come back.
- Suggestion by Manuel Schneider during the site-visit in Esino Lario, July 2014.
- Wikimania Esino Lario meeting at Wikimania London, August 2014.
- The project has been illustrated on several occasions during the summer and winter. Leaflets and forms have been given out to all families with a door to door distribution. A contest with small prizes has been organized for the 10 to 15-year-old children of the village with the help of a Wikipedia volunteer to explain what Wikipedia is about; the children were successfully taught the principles of Wikipedia, how to use the encyclopedia and how to modify items. We targeted children as a way to reach and engage families.
- Data from http://www.varennaitaly.com.
- Distance with private car or calculated according to the bus timetable.
- Data from http://www.varennaitaly.com.
- Distance with private car or calculated according to the bus timetable with includes stops.
- This number only includes 35 beds of the Scout centre / Ristoro (which will make the accommodation more comfortable) and it does not include the 20 beds of Antropos/former-La Colonia (since we have no confirmation).
- This is the number of beds of hotels in Varenna and Perledo from tourism websites. This accommodation has not been reserved, it does not include apartments and we didn't contacted the owners.
- Data from booking.com.
- From http://www.varennaitaly.com.
- Information from http://www.varennaitaly.com, price without beverage.
- Discussion with the administration of the Esino Lario city council 2014, we didn't check jet the contract.
- Discussion with the administrative staff of Esino Lario city council, October 2014.
- Phone call to the secretary of the Istituto Comprensivo Bellano, Iolanda Pensa, 06/03/2014.
- This is due to the necessity of not overcharging the connectivity during the event; please refer to Esino Lario/Technical.
- Please note that excursions in Switzerland might require specific visa.
- This specific need emerged in several discussions and during Wikimedia Italia general assembly.
- Legislation summary.
- Visa statistics (2012) for the 2023 Schengen consulates of the world: in one third of cases rejection is less than 1 % and in half of cases less than 3 %.
- Wikimania London was out of reach even for some Europeans who enjoy visa free access to Italy: contrary to popular belief, citizens of Europe were not necessarily favoured by nearby locations. For instance, 60 % of Serbian attendees had visa rejected by UK; while in 2012 Italian consulates were (together with Switzerland's) the consulates with lower percentage of rejected short-stay visa for Iranians among the countries with over 5 thousands visas issued in Iran; and granted 100 % short-stay visas asked in Serbia.
- Based on the visa information pages of previous editions, which however didn't provide stats for visa rejection. The 170 visa countries record of Hong Kong is hard to match. The United Kingdom is not part of Schengen; Frankfurt and Gdańsk of course were, but EU negotiators have not stopped working since then!
- Please note that the difficulties were not related to a mismanagement of the procedure but to a refusal of the requests.
- Ilario Valdelli has checked by calling the offices of the Swiss customs.
- The increase of the prize for lunch is due to the average cost between 10 € / 13,37 $ which is the cost of lunch in restaurants and 22 € / 30,25 $ for the cost of the meal provided by the catering.
- With in-kind contribution we mean that an institution allows that a percentage or a number of days of their staff members is devoted to Wikimania Esino Lario; they do not hire new collaborators, they do not provide us funds for staff, but they involve their team.
- 8 busses for 450€ each.
- We didn't include it in the budget because we are cautious and we do not have a written confirmation or the money.
- 8 busses for 450€ each (50 people per bus). If the bus is full it means around 10 euro per person; we will set the price once we decide precisely how to manage the rides.