Who are we?
Working across teams and with the Partnerships team
Foundations & Major Gifts
Planned Giving Specialist
See also: Fundraising Technology
A Global Project
Readers around the world show their support for Wikimedia each year. The Wikimedia Foundation receives donations from nearly every country in the world in over 80 currencies, 20 payment methods, and 50 languages. We strive to provide readers worldwide with the best localized donation experience possible by offering preferred local payment methods and high quality messages in local languages.
Testing and Optimization
The online fundraiser is based on constant testing and optimization of different themes, messages, designs and user flows. We aim to educate all Wikipedia readers about our movement, provide a convenient donation process, and minimize the disruption of fundraiser banners on the reader experience. Only a tiny portion of readers donate -- therefore, we must always be improving our methods.
Another goal of the fundraiser is to educate Wikipedia readers about the Wikimedia movement. We do this through the messages displayed in banners as well as through creative content featuring the Wikimedia community. Over the years, we've run personal appeal messages from community members, featured videos introducing Wikimedia volunteers, and invited readers to join in editing.
Current fundraising activities
Operated by Wikimedia Foundation
- Netherlands Email: April 20th - May 13th 2020
- Spain Email: June 2nd - June 23rd 2020
- Sweden Banners: April 8th April 30th 2020
- US Banner Testing (1-3 hours, once or once/week): April 2020
Operated by Wikimédia Magyarország
- Local tax campaign: May 4th - May 20th 2020
Operated by Wikimedia Italia
- Local tax campaign: April 15th - 30th and June 1st - 15th 2020
Operated by Stowarzyszenie Wikimedia Polska
- Local tax campaign: April 14th - April 30th 2020
- We have an FAQ for donors and one for community members.
- Please stay in contact with us on the fundraising talk page.
- IRC channel: #wikimedia-fundraising (publicly logged)
- To report bugs in Phabricator, please use the #wikimedia-fundraising tag
- For a breakdown of how fundraising tech uses Phabricator, check out this wikitech page.
- For a calendar of all central-notice banners, including fundraising, see CentralNotice/Calendar
2019/2020 Q2&Q3 Update
The 2018/2019 Fundraising Report was posted in September, and translations are now available in Dutch, French, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish. This is our first year translating the report. We are excited to share our findings with a wider audience.
In Q4 (April-June), we will be conducting some limited banner testing in the USA. We use brief tests (1-3 hours) to collate necessary data to inform future projections, as well as to test backend changes. Due to the significant global changes over the last few months we felt it vital to gather this now in order to help inform annual and long term planning for the Wikimedia Foundation, and by extension the broader movement.
For past updates, please see our update archive.