User talk:Raystorm

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Afrikaans | العربية | asturianu | azərbaycanca | Boarisch | беларуская | беларуская (тарашкевіца)‎ | български | বাংলা | བོད་ཡིག | bosanski | català | کوردی | corsu | čeština | Cymraeg | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form)‎ | Zazaki | ދިވެހިބަސް | Ελληνικά | emiliàn e rumagnòl | English | Esperanto | español | eesti | فارسی | suomi | français | Nordfriisk | Frysk | galego | Alemannisch | ગુજરાતી | עברית | हिन्दी | Fiji Hindi | hrvatski | magyar | Հայերեն | interlingua | Bahasa Indonesia | Ido | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | kar | Kurdî | Limburgs | lietuvių | Baso Minangkabau | македонски | മലയാളം | молдовеняскэ | Bahasa Melayu | မြန်မာဘာသာ | مازِرونی | नेपाली | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk | occitan | Kapampangan | polski | português | Runa Simi | română | русский | sicilianu | سنڌي | සිංහල | slovenčina | slovenščina | Soomaaliga | shqip | српски / srpski | svenska | ślůnski | தமிழ் | ไทย | Türkmençe | Tagalog | Türkçe | татарча/tatarça | ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ  | українська | اردو | Tiếng Việt | 吴语 | 中文(简体)‎ | 中文(繁體)‎ | +/-

Contents

Welcome to Meta![edit]

Hello Raystorm!, and welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). Happy editing! — Mikhailov Kusserow (talk) 03:16, 8 December 2009 (UTC)

Primera reunión presencial de la JD[edit]

Me dice Góngora que estará en Madrid los próximos días 5 y 6 de Mayo...¿qué tal te viene a tí para la primera reunión presencial?...te recueros que dijiste que invitabas a McMarisco... Saludos, guapa.--Marctaltor 19:11, 14 April 2010 (UTC)


Party Quijote 2010[edit]

Hola Raystorm, soy el Coordinador General de [Party Quijote 2010] una concentración informática que este año se realiza en [Azuqueca de Henares], muy cerca de Madrid del 8 al 11 de julio.

He visto que estáis creando Wikimedia España y quería ofreceros nuestras instalaciones e infraestructura por si queréis hacer una reunión del grupo durante esos días.

Nuestro evento tiene gran repercusión mediática y creo que puede ser provechoso para ambos.

Si estáis interesados o quieres preguntarme lo que quieras puedes contactarme por correo en info en partyquijote punto com .

Un saludo. Manchego 09:04, 25 May 2010 (UTC)

Thanks![edit]

Hi Raystorm. If I read the diffs correctly, you are the first person to have filled in the Funds Dissemination Criteria Table -- thank you! I also saw that on your enWP talk page you translated the article on Ann Bannon! I have a personal fondness for Ann Bannon because I interviewed her once, about 15 years ago, and I think her books were really important in the development of lesbian culture. So, yay, you! for translating her article :-) Thanks Sue Gardner 16:24, 13 November 2011 (UTC)

Hola Ray[edit]

Quería preguntarte si no hay userbox de socio de WM.es para meta, como la que hiciste {{usuario:Raystorm/WMES}}. Besos. Dorieo (talk) 17:28, 13 March 2012 (UTC)

Uy, no tengo ni idea de hacer plantillas, userboxes, etc, sino te lo preguntaría. Cuasi-analfabeto digital que es uno. Gracias. Dorieo (talk) 21:04, 13 March 2012 (UTC)

WikiWomenCamp Registration Form[edit]

Hello,

You listed your name as someone interested in be part of WikiWomenCamp, which will be held in Buenos Aires from 23 to 25 May, 2012.

We are asking everyone to fill this form will all your info. Everyone is invited to fill this form, even if you don't have a grant to cover your expenses yet.

Thanks for you interrest, and I hope to see you in Buenos Aires in May :)

Béria Lima msg 18:21, 22 March 2012 (UTC)

Welcome to the IEG Committee[edit]

Hi Raystorm,
Thanks for signing up to join the Individual Engagement Grants Committee! It is my pleasure to confirm your membership. We’ve got a lot to accomplish together, particularly during the next 6 weeks, and it will be awesome to have your help. Here is how to get started:

To make your membership official, please do 2 things by February 11th:

  1. Introduce yourself in the IdeaLab.
  2. Send your email address to IEGrants@wikimedia.org, so that we can subscribe you to the committee mailing list.

Then there are 2 first tasks' for active committee members to start on right away:

  1. Review information in the Committee Workroom (your new organizing hub on meta), including responsibilities and the review process. Feedback and questions are very welcome at this stage.
  2. Start giving feedback on open ideas, drafts and proposals. Asking questions to gather information you’ll need to make a recommendation helps prospective grantees think their projects all the way through, and will give us more great proposals to choose from.

Our formal review of proposals starts February 22nd. I’ll be posting information about scoring and selection of proposals on the committee mailing list and in the Workroom soon, so please keep an eye there!

Thanks again for joining this new grantmaking program...I hope we’re going to see some amazing impact from these grants! :-) Siko (WMF) (talk) 06:18, 7 February 2013 (UTC)

WM Uruguay[edit]

Hola. Anoche nos reunimos para discutir los cambios sugeridos a los estatutos. Cambiamos los que pudimos. Aqui te dejo los comentarios. Aún queda pendiente alguno. Saludos. --Andreateletrabajo (talk) 00:04, 10 March 2013 (UTC)

All done. Cheers. Ganímedes (talk) 20:13, 31 March 2013 (UTC)
Avisaré a los compañeros, para que ayuden con la traducción si es necesario. Solo indicar que el sistema no lo elegimos; es el sistema que indica el MEC. Saludos. --Ganímedes (talk) 21:31, 2 April 2013 (UTC)
¡Hola, Raystorm! Sigo la discusión acá, ¿te parece? --NaBUru38 (talk) 22:22, 3 April 2013 (UTC)

Ping user:Ganímedes. Raystorm (talk) 11:16, 12 September 2013 (UTC)

Convidando o Brasil[edit]

Pleas, I would ask your attention to the comments of the committee evaluation, thank you.Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton m 01:13, 15 March 2013 (UTC)

Grantmaking Barnstar[edit]

IEG barnstar 1.png Individual Engagement Grant Barnstar
I so appreciated having your wise voice, thoughtful experience, and calm sense of humor on the committee in this first round! You always helped smooth the way and find a path forward. I know how much work you do all over Wikimedia, and hope you realize how awesome you are to also be serving in this role. Thanks!! Siko (WMF) (talk) 22:18, 29 March 2013 (UTC)

Fundraising translation feedback[edit]

Hey Raystorm,

I wanted to ask for your help. As you may be aware we have been running banners on many language wikis. We have a lot of new content this year and I really want to conduct a thorough review of our translations. This is a combination of feedback from the community, readers, donors as well as those with professional translator experience. This will help us ensure the highest quality of translations used in our messaging.

To help us out with this I wonder if you would be willing to give us feedback for Spanish using This Link

Simply follow the simple instructions on that page and if you have any questions feel free to contact me on my talk page.

Many Thanks

Jseddon (WMF) (talk) 20:20, 1 April 2013 (UTC)

Thank you. I seem to be always on my mobile device, and unable to add potential translations. :( Hopefully when I'm done travelling I'll be able to use my home computer to fill it up! (IF it's not too late). :P Kind regards, Raystorm (talk) 13:32, 20 April 2013 (UTC)

Please fill out our brief Individual Engagement Grant reviewer survey[edit]

Hello, the Wikimedia Foundation would like your feedback on Individual Engagement Grants! We have created a brief survey to help us better understand your experience participating in the IEG program and how we can improve for the future. You are being selected to participate in our survey because you served on the IEG Committee.

Click here to be taken to the survey site.

The survey should take less than 10 minutes to complete. We really appreciate your feedback! And we hope to see you in the IdeaLab soon.

Happy editing,

and , Grantmaking & Programs, Wikimedia Foundation.

This message was sent via Global message delivery on 01:46, 11 April 2013 (UTC)

Thank you, I already filled it up. Kind regards, Raystorm (talk) 13:32, 20 April 2013 (UTC)

Amical's bylaws[edit]

Hi Raystorm, how are you doing? I was updating Amical's bylaws (to be approved, hopefully, in next week's AGM) after Affcom's suggestions. May I ask you to propose a wording to comply with this comment you made:

  • You would have to put a clause signalling independence from WMF, no content control, etc, to avoid potential liabilities. Preambles have no legal impact in Spain.

We are okay with that, however, where and how would you reccommend to add it? as a new article in Chapter 1 maybe?

Thanks in advance, --Arnaugir (talk) 20:30, 29 April 2013 (UTC)

Okay, I just added what we agreed on. Bylaws have been updated (see Talk:Associació_Amical_Viquipèdia#Updated_bylaws), there is the diff in case you and other AffCom members want to take a look at the changes. I think I included them all but a second pair of eyes does never hurt ;-) cheers --Arnaugir (talk) 20:48, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
Yes, modifying the bylaws is not difficult. Thanks for your kind offer about the fee, we would let know if it's the case. We will forward you the minutes the same day, so you can start the final steps towards Amical's recognition. :-) thank you--Arnaugir (talk) 21:12, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
afaik we haven't checked yet. I will do during this week preceding the AGM, I will let you know. This should be more complicated than changing the bylaws.--Arnaugir (talk) 21:24, 29 April 2013 (UTC)

Hello! How are you doing? Yesterday the GA was celebrated. I sent an email to affcom but anyway I wanted to tell you ;-) the bylaws have been approved with no objections. Thank you for your interest!--Arnaugir (talk) 11:15, 12 May 2013 (UTC)

That's great. Yes, I'm planning to start updating all pages in Meta tomorrow :-) thanks for your answer. We will be waiting for Affcom's resolution. Cheers --Arnaugir (talk) 12:40, 12 May 2013 (UTC)

Moltes gràcies! It's been a though way but looks like we finally made it :)--Arnaugir (talk) 08:55, 21 May 2013 (UTC)

Maybe you have an estimation on when the final resolution from the Board may happen? :-)--Arnaugir (talk) 09:23, 21 May 2013 (UTC)

Talk:Affiliations Committee/Resolutions/Budget request for 2013 annual meeting – April 2013[edit]

Just making sure that you notice the questions asked. odder (talk) 17:28, 6 May 2013 (UTC)

Very considerate of you. Raystorm (talk) 09:02, 9 May 2013 (UTC)

board[edit]

It was nice to see your statement -- I am glad you are running :) -- phoebe | talk 20:11, 17 May 2013 (UTC)

The Signpost[edit]

Dear María,

I've emailed you on a Signpost matter.

Kind regards, Tony (talk) 02:19, 18 May 2013 (UTC)

María, I'm pretty sure I sent it via the Spanish WP (about seven hours ago). Problem is, I've had to do a huge number of WMF emails today, and Meta and en.WP both "throttle" after about five in a day, so I've been having to email via a number of WMF sites ... all rather messy!

I've just resent it via your page at the Spanish WP. Please let me know if that doesn't work (perhaps email me via this site so I can return email). And do let me know if anything is unclear. My best wishes to you! Tony (talk) 09:44, 18 May 2013 (UTC)

If my return email didn't work, Ed, our editor in chief, is now online. He can send via Meta. Tony (talk) 09:54, 18 May 2013 (UTC)
I've sent it! If you can confirm that you've received it, we'll be able to move past this at long last. :-) Thanks, Ed [talk] [en] 10:09, 18 May 2013 (UTC)

Important announcement: Election delayed by one week[edit]

The Election Committee regrets to advise that it is necessary to delay the start of voting in the WMF Elections 2013 for one week. This delay is being implemented for three reasons:

  • We have been unable to verify that the list of eligible voters is complete and that all voters meet the published criteria
  • We have been unable to verify that the SecurePoll setups for the election are properly functioning
  • The voter interfaces have not been translated and are not currently available in any language other than English, thus disadvantaging Wikimedians who do not read English.

The following changes are now made to the Election timeline:

  • 8-22 June 2013: elections
  • 23-25 June 2013: vote-checking
  • 25-28 June: publication of results.

For the Election Committee, Risker (talk) 20:53, 31 May 2013 (UTC)

Congratulations María on your election! I look forward to the next two years on the Board. SJ talk  00:58, 25 June 2013 (UTC)

Edit-a-thon Invitation (in person and remote participants welcome)[edit]

CHF small logo
Please join the Chemical Heritage Foundation Edit-a-Thon, June 20, 2013.
Build content relating to women in science, chemistry and the history of science.
Use the hashtag #GlamCHF and write your favorite scientist or chemist into Wikipedian history!

You'd be welcome! Mary Mark Ockerbloom (talk) 17:36, 16 June 2013 (UTC)

Congratulations[edit]

Congratulations on your win in WMF board Election. Best wishes --Arjunaraoc (talk) 07:01, 27 June 2013 (UTC)

   Auguri e in bocca al lupo, Raystorm  Klaas|Z4␟V
  08:06, 27 June 2013 (UTC)

Come celebrate IdeaLab’s (re)Launch![edit]

Idea Lab
Idea Lab

We’ve redesigned the Grants:IdeaLab to make awesome collaborators and shiny new ideas easier to find.
You’re invited to the (re)Launch party!

Come visit and create a profile, share or join an idea, and tell us what you think about the updates!

Hope to see you there! Siko (WMF) (talk) 21:29, 11 July 2013 (UTC)

Internal/Private wiki discussion[edit]

Hi María, following on from the question about the private wikis during the board elections, please could you add your thoughts on moving things forward at Talk:Wikimedia_wikis#Are we re-purposing Internal?. Thanks! :-) Thehelpfulone 00:06, 12 July 2013 (UTC)

Wikimedia LGBT / User Group[edit]

Please see this discussion regarding User Group status. Thank you! --Another Believer (talk) 15:40, 22 August 2013 (UTC)

Personal and Moral Rights?[edit]

Please have a look at Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard#Personal_and_Moral_Rights.3F. JKadavoor Jee 03:22, 2 September 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for your valuable response. I replied there. JKadavoor Jee 07:53, 10 September 2013 (UTC)
(reply) Thanks; it is highly appreciated. I'm willing to accept whatever may be the decision of the Board. Thanks, JKadavoor Jee 09:56, 10 September 2013 (UTC)
Glad to hear this news. Any updates? JKadavoor Jee 06:13, 26 November 2013 (UTC)

Onam greetings![edit]

Have a nice Onam tomorrow! JKadavoor Jee 17:11, 15 September 2013 (UTC)

Please fill out our brief Participation Support Program survey[edit]

Hello, the Wikimedia Foundation would like your feedback on the Participation Support Program! We have created a brief survey to help us better understand your experience participating in the program and how we can improve for the future. You are being selected to participate in our survey because you submitted or commented on Participation Support requests in the past.

Click here to be taken to the survey site.

The survey should take less than 10 minutes to complete. We really appreciate your feedback! And we hope to see you in the Participation Support Program again soon.

Happy editing,

Siko and Haitham, Grantmaking, Wikimedia Foundation.

This message was sent via Global message delivery on 21:45, 18 September 2013 (UTC)

"Happy Diwali!"[edit]

While Diwali is popularly known as the "festival of lights", the most significant spiritual meaning behind it is "the awareness of the inner light". It is the belief that there is something beyond the physical body and mind which is pure, infinite, and eternal, called the Atman. The celebration of Diwali as the "victory of good over evil” refers to the light of higher knowledge dispelling all ignorance, the ignorance that masks one's true nature, not as the body, but as the unchanging, infinite, immanent and transcendent reality. With this awakening come compassion and the awareness of the oneness of all things (higher knowledge). This brings Satcitananda (joy or peace). Just as we celebrate the birth of our physical being, Diwali is the celebration of this Inner Light. While the story behind Diwali and the manner of celebration varies from region to, the essence is the same – to rejoice in the Inner Light! And this year Diwali and All Souls' Day come together to fully defeat the Evil! "Happy Diwali!"JKadavoor Jee 06:59, 2 November 2013 (UTC)
  • Wow! Thanks for letting me know about that wonderful festival! (BTW, Tomas, the photographer is one of my best friend in Commons!) JKadavoor Jee 08:30, 4 November 2013 (UTC)

Resolution:Media about living people[edit]

Thanks! JKadavoor Jee 06:04, 6 December 2013 (UTC)

Upcoming IdeaLab Events: IEG Proposal Clinics[edit]

Idea Lab
Idea Lab

Hello, Raystorm! We've added Events to IdeaLab, and you're invited :)

Upcoming events focus on turning ideas into Individual Engagement Grant proposals before the March 31 deadline. Need help or have questions about IEG? Join us at a Hangout:

  • Thursday, 13 March 2014, 1600 UTC
  • Wednesday, 19 March 2014, 1700 UTC
  • Saturday, 29 March 2014, 1700 UTC

Hope to see you there!

This message was delivered automatically to IEG and IdeaLab participants. To unsubscribe from any future IEG reminders, remove your name from this list

Barnstar and a request for feedback[edit]

IEG barnstar 2.png Individual Engagement Grant Barnstar
Thank you for commenting on Individual Engagement Grant proposals during this recent round! We really appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts.

To help us improve the IEG program for future participants, would you mind taking this quick 3-question survey?

Thanks again for your help,

--Siko and Haitham, Wikimedia Foundation Grantmaking

en:User:Jmorgan (WMF)

Why Did You Support Granting Private Information of Editors to Anonymous Administrators?[edit]

Dear Mr. or Ms. Sefidari,

I am dismayed that you and the rest of the board of trustees approved an "Access to No-Public Information" policy that allows totally anonymous administrators on the English and all the other Wikipedias to see the IPs and other potentially personally-identifying information (browser version, settings) of volunteer editors. Even though not usually immediately identifying in itself, this information can obviously be used as a stepladder to identifying through tools like Geolocate and TraceIP, as well as supporting indicators in websearching other clues from the editor's edit history.

Would you please inform me the factors that led to your support of the non-identification revision to the policy? Why would you have done this?

For your reference (https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Access_to_nonpublic_data_policy) "[t]his policy has been replaced by a new Access to non public information policy, which was approved by the Board of Trustees on 25 April 2014."

I don't deny that Wikipedia's administrative participants in some cases do constructive work, in policing clear vandalism for example, or reporting to the WMF the rare cases of threats of violence. But access to personally-identifying information is not needed for that. If there are cases where volunteer administrative participants do somehow need that information, it should be entrusted to identified individuals, not anonymous usernames like "Wizardman" and "Beeblebrox" and "Dord" and so forth. Authorizing checkuser and the other tools to anonymous participants is going to attract, and has attracted, exactly the wrong kind of individuals. It's emboldening, frankly, creepers and cyberbullies. And those who participate in Wikipedia as if it were an online computer roleplaying game, without regard to the fact that those they choose to sniff and snoop (and pursue) are actually people as opposed to a computer game's NPCs (non-player characters).

Have you ever been snooped and sniffed, cyberbullied, websearched, by some creep online? I have, and it's not nice. I think if you'd been treated that way, and really understood the reality of the cyberbully culture, that you'd stand up now and reverse your support of the WMF's granting of these invasive privacy-violating tools to wholly anonymous and thus unaccountable administrative participants. Is that what it's going to take for you to change your mind? Somebody has to do it to you?

Please respond as to why you supported granting access to IP-invasive and potentially personally-identifying tools like checkuser to anonymous administrative participants.

Colton Cosmic (talk) 16:12, 11 July 2014 (UTC)

WMF superblocks it's community[edit]

Hi,

since Erik doesn't answer, I'm now sending this remark to some other WMF officers and board members. I apologize for using your time.

I'm a crat in german wp. The so-called super-protections that Erik Möller/User:Eloquence and User:JEissfeldt (WMF) have put on our common.js on sunday, acting officially on behalf of WMF, have left some blood on the carpet. Many fellow wikipedians are upset, even those who accept the media viewer (which had been the conflict's origin). Several long-time contributors have left or stopped editing due to this. Journalists picked up the case.

Personally, I strongly protest against the WMF's action, and it's failure to communicate afterwards. Our communities are capable, and willing, to handle problems like this without office-actions.

There have been no official or private comments from WMF in the last days, so I'd like to suggest you have a look and give some response to the criticism.

(apologize again, for my translation errors)

Rfc: https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Requests_for_comment/Superprotect_rights

Links to ongoing discussions in german language: [1], [2], [3]

Greetings, -MBq (talk) 20:20, 12 August 2014 (UTC)

Hi, i second MBq's request and also e.g. this post by Rich. This issue is not taken lightly especially among german wikipedians. Regards, Ca$e (talk) 20:57, 12 August 2014 (UTC)
Hi MBq and Ca$e. Thank you very much for the links. I don't speak German, but I will try Google Translate and see if that works enough to understand the comments on de.wiki. Kind regards, Raystorm (talk) 12:28, 13 August 2014 (UTC)
Dear Raystorm, thank you already for your reply and willingness to have a look at this issue. Maybe the best point to start at the moment is https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:LilaTretikov , as almost all essential points are now already voiced and discussed there in english. Regards, Ca$e (talk) 19:32, 13 August 2014 (UTC)
Thank you Ca$e, this is helpful because Translate is giving me somewhat confusing results, and the conversation appears to be happening in multiple places at once making it all the harder to get a cogent picture. There are some good insights in that page, which I appreciate. Acknowledging that how and when this Superprotect right was set up could have been much different, and the understandable concerns about it regarding content and administration, I think Lila is more than willing to engage in this issue, and it doesn't look like common understanding is completely impossible to achieve here. That is heartening. I think it would be crucial if she could get a thoughtful answer to her key question: "we put up a note for people to engage last November -- it gets removed. We do not force it to stay. So now, people are saying they did not know and did not engage until it is rolled out to over 800 wikis -- all but 2 with no pushback.... Now that we are here... Why not do an RfC on how to improve? Why force it out to where it is impossible to actually make better... I don't know how to make sense of it. -- LilaTretikov (talk)". This is where the German community in particular can explain, and she can respond to that, and we can move forward. We need to aim for mutual understanding and bring the conversation up – I have read comments about stopping to do maintenance and overall sabotaging de.wiki to make a point that I find disturbing as an editor. Instead of engaging on a race to the bottom, we need to do the opposite. Do you think this is feasible? Kind regards, Raystorm (talk) 04:07, 14 August 2014 (UTC)
Thank you, Raystorm. I think you may have misunderstood the overall tendency in the german-speaking community. No one there really is keen on sabotaging anything. (And no one actually has!) However, people discuss matters of last resort, should the current situation not be resolved (on the steps we - and not only from the german-speaking communities - expect, see already the post by Rich linked to above). A new user hierarchy and a direct involvement in local affairs by WMF will never be acceptable and several people are indeed willing to, should WMF stand by this misbehavior, either refrain from a long-standing relationship or to actively do something against its recent downfall (not at all by sabotaging anything despite perhaps a currently unwanted MediaViewer, which can do nothing essential any better but lacks lots of functions that are present without it -- people have several other ways to make their protest loud and clear, lots of them e.g. would more or less directly effect WMF's funding). Regarding the question "Why not do an RfC on how to improve?" - questions like that could be discussed when the pressing issue concerning the newly established user hierarchy and direct overruling in local contexts is resolved. However, a preliminary note in that regard: We do not nor will ever accept technology that makes things worse. We did give lots of input regarding the defects of MediaViewer in its previous state (and we have been aware of sufficient input by others with profound expertise, like, for instance, Pete; we are accustomed to making decisions not on the mere numbers but the quality of insight and argument, thus many of us refrain from raising their voice as long as all has been said already by others, perhaps in a much more profound capability, too). A technology as broken as that will never be accepted as default by those who have knowledge and a say in the matter. This group consists of roughly 200-800 german-speaking people at the moment, with 50-100 who are really involved to expertly judge about the flaws in design of software like that - people who mostly got wind of MediaViewer even before you put any notices out. Regarding the structure of not only the german-speaking community (by the way, the second largest, while even larger ones protested comparably -- again, the numbers in phrases like "all but 2 with no pushback" are quite misleading regarding the factual base and structure of people involved), please have a look at the quick summary given here by Tolanor. Maybe, however, it would we best to move this discussion to a place where people are already involved in discussing more or less the same topics, like, e.g., at Lila's talk page? Ca$e (talk) 07:38, 14 August 2014 (UTC)

Would you mind replying to my question?[edit]

I asked you in a section above ([4]) and see that you have since responded to another, but not me. Would you mind replying to my question about why you as a trustee in the board meeting earlier this year supported modifying the Access to Non-Public Information policy to grant privacy-invasive IP and other information about editors to completely anonymous administrators? Colton Cosmic (talk) 13:31, 19 August 2014 (UTC)

It would have been helpful if you had resisted the urge to frame your question in a way that implied that we must have supported the adoption of this policy to support harassers... This is much preferable, thank you.
So. The background for that decision can be found here, in the recommendation that the Legal team presented to the Board after consultation with the community. The Board discussed at length all the possibilities available. Personally, I lean more towards the position of having stringent identification requirements. If a user has an objection to identifying themselves to the WMF, I honestly don't want them handling non-public info. But, and this is important, the Wikimedia Foundation staff have found it difficult to balance privacy of identification with the [2007] Policy's requirement to assure accountability, meaning that past identification practices did not comply with the previous policy. WMF couldn't claim complete and accurate knowledge of the identities of all community members with access rights. You must have seen the different proposals of an updated policy that the Legal team proposed to the community. Some problems highlighted by community members included the ease to provide false information, you can read them at length in the page I linked to. In the final (adopted) version, there is no identification requirement, true, but it still provides for minimum age and confidentiality requirements. As you can see here, among other requirements these users will have to agree to a Confidentiality Agreement, which you can find available here. Of course, local communities can adopt more restrictive requirements, and this global policy can serve as guidance for that, and is more honest than the 2007 one.
I will say one last thing, just in case. This is not something that is approved and goes away. We are flexible: we track, we see how things are progressing, and if need be we will revise again the Policy in the future. This was not done to harm anyone, but to be honest about the reality of the situation regarding the previous policy. Kind regards, Raystorm (talk) 15:50, 19 August 2014 (UTC)
I am pleased to get a response from a trustee, grateful for your time, so thank you. Now, I just reread my comment for the second or third time and feel that it is fairly stated, doesn't impugn your motives at all, and is not "framed in a way that implied that [you] must have supported the adoption of this policy to support harassers." So I think you are wrong about that. Perhaps it is not my words but rather that you independently fear you may in fact have ended up supporting harassers. If you yourself "lean more towards the position of having stringent identification requirements," then I'd say you voted the wrong way, didn't you? The reason the practice did not comply with the previous policy was because Philippe Beaudette decided he was going to shred and secure-delete identifications in flagrant violation of the policy. (More here on that if you want to read it: http://timsongfan.livejournal.com/1170.html.) The correct answer to a WMF staffer violating WMF policy is to tell the staffer to start following the policy, not to change the policy to conform to the rogue action of the staffer.
With your assertion that the administrators still agree to confidentiality and that they're at least 18, c'mon Raystorm. It is meaningless and silly to take the stance that binding agreement may be reached with an anonymous online persona. "Goobydoo" and "Superskeeter" and "Lordofmajiks" cannot enter into binding and certainly not into lawful requirements. You say you'll track and monitor things but who actually among you is doing that and how are they doing it? Do you mean "we'll do it this way for the foreseeable future and see if anything blows up?" The problem is the new policy has placed the WMF in an orientation of deliberate ignorance, and further empowered the worst sort of creepers to do as they like, confident that there's no risk at all of being held responsible for any abusive use of the tools or privacy invasion of common editors. I have an authenticated copy of the infamous "anvil" email, in which an arbitrator undertook the most heinous privacy invasion of an editor I've ever seen and made repeated threats to turn his family against him with poisonous phonecalls and even threatened to call his wife's employers. It's psychotic and appalling, and it was thoroughly enabled through the checkuser tool and other administrative resources accorded to the anonymous FT2. This is the kind of thing that the policy change foments. I'll see about getting you a copy of that in hopes you'll change your mind and call for the policy to be reverted now, not years from now. Colton Cosmic (talk) 16:52, 20 August 2014 (UTC)
You disregard what I said, but I can scarcely be clearer. Having a false sense of security is a horrible outcome. This Policy does away with that. Raystorm (talk) 18:42, 20 August 2014 (UTC)
If it does, it does it by exposing the users' non-public information to anonymous creepers. I feel that I did not disregard what you said. I read your comment twice or three times and responded to it as best I could without writing a novel. You did not previously say that stuff about false sense of security, nor did you clearly imply it. If the situation was "by shredding the identifications when we tell users we are keeping them, we are giving users a false sense of security" the way to address the matter was to stop shredding the identifications. Not to amend the policy! I don't know exactly how to right now present you the authenticated FT2 email threat, repetitively a threat to the editor's family, but I can point you to an edited version online: http://encyc.org/wiki/Anvil_email. Colton Cosmic (talk) 20:17, 20 August 2014 (UTC)

Please fill out our Inspire campaign survey[edit]

Inspire astrocat aqua.png

Thank you for participating in the Wikimedia Inspire campaign during March 2015!

Please take our short survey and share your experience during the campaign.



Many thanks,

Jmorgan (WMF) (talk), on behalf of the IdeaLab team.

23:37, 13 April 2015 (UTC)

This message was delivered automatically to Inspire campaign participants. To unsubscribe from any future IdeaLab reminders, remove your name from this list

Community discussion on harassment reporting[edit]

There are many current proposals as part of the 2015 Inspire Campaign related to harassment management. I’ve created a page, Grants:IdeaLab/Community discussion on harassment reporting meant to serve as a central space where the various stakeholders in these proposals and other community members can discuss which methods might serve our community best so that we can unify our ideas into collective action. I encourage you to join the conversation and contribute your ideas! OR drohowa (talk) 01:37, 22 April 2015 (UTC)

WMF board resolution on user rights process[edit]

Please urgently get this topic/resolution scheduled for a meeting, discussed and voted; and express your opinions on the noticeboard. Thanks for your work, Nemo 20:57, 8 May 2015 (UTC)

Signpost inquiry[edit]

Hi, I've emailed you. Thanks. Tony (talk) 16:35, 10 May 2015 (UTC)

Hi from the Chapters Conference[edit]

Hello! Very nice meeting you at Wikimedia Conference 2015! The page I mentioned to you was Grants:IdeaLab/Community discussion on harassment reporting, and here is the current proposal that we are developing: Grants:IdeaLab/Centralised harassment reporting and referral service. We have a long way to go to translate these proposals into working projects and solutions but I am excited to keep the conversation going! OR drohowa (talk) 10:11, 17 May 2015 (UTC)

Hello! How are you? xoxo, --Pro patria semper (talk) 19:44, 22 May 2015 (UTC)

Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Elections 2015[edit]

Dear candidate. My general opinion about administration of Wikimedia is negative. Many texts and images had been removed with pretext of protection of rights of the owners of the copyright owners. The special permissions by the copyright owners were just ignored, and removed together with the files. In particular, this refers to images of the Soviet dissidents and their texts.

Below I suggest only few examples in order to let you know what is happening: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sofiya_Kalistratova&oldid=649939072 https://ru.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Софья_Васильевна_Каллистратова&oldid=93595 https://ru.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Леонард_Борисович_Терновский&type=revision&diff=1312548&oldid=585736

I investigated the case and I revealed that many removals were performed by bureaucrat Lozman, who has absolutely no experience with obtaining permission from the copyright owners and does not even remember, who made him bureaucrat. However, this is only example.

Sorry for being late, but I just received the invitation to vote. You still have two days to change my opinion about at least one of the candidates suggested. One example of complain by the author is available at site TORI, http://mizugadro.mydns.jp/t/index.php/Kouznetsov,_permission I mention it because it has English version, although many Russian authors were offended in the similar way.

Now I formulate the question:

Do you think it is still possible to handle the cases mentioned?

Do you think that you can find time to deal with the cases mentioned?

Sincerely, Domitori (talk) 08:14, 28 May 2015 (UTC)

Wiki Loves Pride[edit]

You are invited to participate in Wiki Loves Pride!

  • What? Wiki Loves Pride, a campaign to document and photograph LGBT culture and history, including pride events
  • When? June 2015
  • How can you help?
    1.) Create or improve LGBT-related articles and showcase the results of your work here
    2.) Upload photographs or other media related to LGBT culture and history, including pride events, and add images to relevant Wikipedia articles; feel free to create a subpage with a gallery of your images (see examples from last year)
    3.) Contribute to an LGBT-related task force at another Wikimedia project (Wikidata, Wikimedia Commons, Wikivoyage, etc.)

Or, view or update the current list of Tasks. This campaign is supported by the Wikimedia LGBT+ User Group, an officially recognized affiliate of the Wikimedia Foundation. Visit the group's page at Meta-Wiki for more information, or follow Wikimedia LGBT+ on Facebook. Remember, Wiki Loves Pride is about creating and improving LGBT-related content at Wikimedia projects, and content should have a neutral point of view. One does not need to identify as LGBT or any other gender or sexual minority to participate. This campaign is about adding accurate, reliable information to Wikipedia, plain and simple, and all are welcome!

If you have any questions, please leave a message on the campaign's main talk page.


Thanks, and happy editing!

User:Another Believer and User:OR drohowa

How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?[edit]

Hi! The Wikimedia Foundation would like your input on how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project.

After reading the Reimagining WMF grants idea, we ask you to complete this survey to help us improve the idea and learn more about your experience. When you complete the survey, you can enter to win one of five Wikimedia globe sweatshirts!

In addition to taking the the survey, you are welcome to participate in these ways:

This survey is in English, but feedback on the discussion page is welcome in any language.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 01:24, 19 August 2015 (UTC)

Toc?[edit]

I was unable to make any sense of your comment at the Wikimedia Foundation Board noticeboard. What was it supposed to mean? In the context of a discussion as to why questions to members of the Board are remaining unanswered, please could you be slightly less opaque in your comments. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 15:46, 30 August 2015 (UTC)

Thank you for your prompt response. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 20:36, 30 August 2015 (UTC)

Thank you also for your edit correcting a typo in my question [5], which neatly serves to signal both that you have seen the question and that you are not prepared to answer it. It is more than a little disappointing that questions at that board go unanswered, indeed unacknowledged, more often than not. I encourage you to take a part in reversing that trend. At the present moment, there is the need for more not less engagement between the Board and the volunteer community, as I am sure you will agree, and yet the pattern of unresponsiveness to simple questions persists, to the detriment of that engagement. I would suggest that it is not an exaggeration to say that a crisis of confidence is imminent within the community and that if it were to become explicit it would do grave damage to the overall project. Please do what you can to prevent that damage occurring. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 22:00, 8 February 2016 (UTC)

Hi @Rogol Domedonfors: actually, I went to have dinner. :) It is late in my corner of the world. But you are right that I don't feel I am the best person to address that question. Neither Kelly or I were involved in the decision process that led to the appointment of Arnnon (I assume you mean that). And for the disparagement comment, I imagine you have a specific example in mind or you wouldn't mention it. So maybe add it to your comment? I mean, I could say I have made no derogatory comments about another trustee or past trustee ever, but I wouldn't necessarily know what every other single trustee has done on other projects, languages or social media. But going to your main point: I do see that that page is a draft, and it might be interesting to ping Anthere to check its history. If we do not have an official equivalent, it could be interesting that the BGC takes it upon itself to develop something along those lines, some kind of code of conduct for trustees. I think it would be a very interesting idea. Kind regards, Raystorm (talk) 22:18, 8 February 2016 (UTC)
Thank you for your prompt response. It is indeed late, in the metaphorical as well as the literal sense. I am asking very simple questions, which are quite explicit, and can in principle be answered either Yes or No. They are intended to stimulate a productive and constructive discussion between members of the Board and of the community about what the expectations are of the Board, in the light of certain recent events -- it is not intended to rehash those events but to try and develop a productive dialogue going forward. If it were to be agreed that the draft captures the expectations the Board sets itself then it might be appropriate to discuss whether it has fallen short of those expectations in any specific instance. But without establishing some common ground between Board and community, and in the face of a pattern of disappointing unresponsiveness at that particular forum going back months or even years, it will be difficult if not impossible to restore confidence. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 22:28, 8 February 2016 (UTC)
(edit conflict) @Rogol Domedonfors: I have added my last part to the noticeboard, to acknowledge your comment and perhaps spark a conversation. I agree more engagement is preferable. :) I think developing a Code of Conduct could be feasible on top of interesting, and it could help set expectations of both board and community members. I have to say that it would be very helpful to have global notifications or something along those lines: it is not intuitive having to remember to go to Meta to check the notifications and the noticeboard, which can lead to the perception of unresponsiveness. Kind regards, Raystorm (talk) 22:34, 8 February 2016 (UTC)

Last call for WMF grants feedback![edit]

Hi, this is a reminder that the consultation about Reimagining WMF grants is closing on 8 September (0:00 UTC). We encourage you to complete the survey now, if you haven't yet done so, so that we can include your ideas.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 19:09, 4 September 2015 (UTC)

What future IdeaLab campaigns would you like to see?[edit]

IdeaLab logo dark orange.png

Hi there,

I’m Jethro, and I’m seeking your help in deciding topics for new IdeaLab campaigns that could be run starting next year. These campaigns aim to bring in proposals and solutions from communities that address a need or problem in Wikimedia projects. I'm interested in hearing your preferences and ideas for campaign topics!

Here’s how to participate:

Take care,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 03:33, 5 December 2015 (UTC)

Future IdeaLab Campaigns results[edit]

IdeaLab badge 1.png

Last December, I invited you to help determine future ideaLab campaigns by submitting and voting on different possible topics. I'm happy to announce the results of your participation, and encourage you to review them and our next steps for implementing those campaigns this year. Thank you to everyone who volunteered time to participate and submit ideas.

With great thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 23:55, 26 January 2016 (UTC)

Email with urgent questions from The Signpost[edit]

Hi Maria. Congratulations on your appointment to the Board. The Signpost has several questions we sent to you via email, and need a response by Wednesday morning UTC. All the best, Go Phightins! (talk) 03:51, 31 January 2016 (UTC)

Harassment workshop[edit]

Greetings! You are receiving this message because, at some point in the past, you have participated in a discussion around the topic of harassment. The Support and Safety team is holding a series of consultations gathering feedback on the best potential solutions to the problem. The next stage is a workshop where we hope to narrow the focus to individual actionable ideas and explore how to bring some of these ideas to life.

Best regards, the Support and Safety team via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:35, 17 February 2016 (UTC)

Inspire Campaign on content curation & review[edit]

WPCube.png

I've recently launched an Inspire Campaign to encourage new ideas focusing on content review and curation in Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia volunteers collaboratively manage vast repositories of knowledge, and we’re looking for your ideas about how to manage that knowledge to make it more meaningful and accessible. We invite you to participate and submit ideas, so please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 28th.

All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is welcome - your skills and experience can help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign to improve review and curation tasks so that we can make our content more meaningful and accessible! I JethroBT (WMF) 05:39, 29 February 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery.

@Raystorm:Your help is required here regarding approval of Khowar Wikipedia. Regards [6]--Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 12:17, 31 March 2016 (UTC)

Open Call for Individual Engagement Grants[edit]

IEG barnstar 2.png

Greetings! The Individual Engagement Grants (IEG) program is accepting proposals until April 12th to fund new tools, research, outreach efforts, and other experiments that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers. Whether you need a small or large amount of funds (up to $30,000 USD), IEGs can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.

With thanks, I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources 15:57, 31 March 2016 (UTC)

Wikimania[edit]

Hello Maria. I just sent you a wikimedia email. Please tell me if you do not get it. Thanks in advance. Anthere (talk)

Participate in the Inspire Campaign and help address harassment![edit]

NounProject Leaves.png

Through June, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas focusing on addressing harassment toward Wikimedia contributors. The 2015 Harassment Survey has shown evidence that harassment in various forms - name calling, threats, discrimination, stalking, and impersonation, among others - is pervasive. Available methods and systems to deal with harassment are also considered to be ineffective. These behaviors are clearly harmful, and in addition, many individuals who experience or witness harassment participate less in Wikimedia projects or stop contributing entirely.

Proposals in any language are welcome during the campaign - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign so that we can work together to develop ideas around this important and difficult issue. With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 17:47, 31 May 2016 (UTC) (Opt-out instructions)

Tone[edit]

Your posting "Do not misrepresent what I said" is unnecessarily combative and I regard it as uncivil, Being a member of the Board does not give you the right to address other members of the community in this way. I suggest that you withdraw that sentence and either rephrase it politely or, better still, drop the issue altogether. I also suggest that you consider whether you owe me an apology for the discourtesy and the implicit accusation. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 18:48, 29 August 2016 (UTC)

Thank you for your message on my talk page and I am happy to accept your apology for the tone of your posting. I would have been more receptive to your proposed olive branch if it had not come within minutes of a further, aggressively phrased, posting in a public forum in which you chose to question my good faith. I suggested there, and suggest again here, that we agree to terminate that particular discussion as unresolved: indeed I had supposed that was the position six months ago. If you find my style confrontational, you may wish to consider the extent to which it reflects the style of others. Rogol Domedonfors (talk) 19:38, 29 August 2016 (UTC)

Whose Knowledge? user group update[edit]

Whose Knowledge? logo 02.png

Hi! Thanks for joining the Whose Knowledge user group - we’re so glad to have you involved!

Here are some updates about recent activities:

  • User group approved: Our user group was officially approved in October - hooray! Big thanks to Raystorm and FloNight for the idea to create a user group for the Whose Knowledge? campaign :)
  • Mapping feminist knowledge at AWID's 2016 Forum: Interested in learning more about what we’ve been doing lately? Read our blog post on what we learned from mapping feminist knowledge at Association for Women's Rights in Development's 2016 Forum.
  • New grant proposal:
    • We’ve proposed a WMF project grant. It would be great to have your feedback and/or endorsement by November 1 if this project interests you!
    • It would also be great to have your help notifying communities already working on systemic bias about this proposal. Here is a draft message - please translate, change as you see fit for your own context, and share in any communities you’re active in on and off-wiki!

Looking forward to doing more together very soon! Siko (talk) 01:14, 18 October 2016 (UTC)

YGM[edit]

UY Scuti Talk 16:15, 4 February 2017 (UTC)

Whose Knowledge? News - February 2017[edit]

Whose Knowledge? logo 02.png

Thanks for all of your support for Whose Knowledge? so far! Get ready, we're going to need lots of your help in 2017 :)

What's new in 2017:

1. Volunteers needed

As Whose Knowledge? grows, there are lots of things to do! Can you help?

  • Are you good with data entry, categories, mailing lists or social media? We especially need people to help with organizing knowledge for Dalit History Month, and building out our communications (including this monthly newsletter!) right now!
  • If you're interested in volunteering for these or any other projects, please signup here

2. Pilot projects

Building partnerships and testing our approach with marginalized communities.

  • Dalit History Month: We're working with Equality Labs to support Dalit communities in South Asia and the United States to map knowledge and create Wikipedia content. Dalit History Month edit-a-thons are coming in April!
  • Women's Human Rights Defenders: In partnership with Urgent Action Fund, we'll be supporting a group of women's human rights defenders around the world with more mapping and wiki content creation. Themes and geographies coming soon!
  • Kumeyaay Wikipedia Initiative: Following the 2016 Indigenous People's Day edit-a-thon, we're continuing to work with members of the Kumeyaay tribe in Southern California and Baja to map and contribute indigenous knowledge to Wikimedia projects. A discussion day with Kumeyaay community in San Diego is being planned for May.

3. Funding:

We've got financial support for 2017!

  • WMF grant: 6-month funding (February-July 2017) was approved to pilot our approach to mapping knowledge and creating Wikipedia content with the Dalit community and global women's human rights defenders. Thanks for all your endorsements!
  • Shuttleworth Fellowship: Anasuya is a Shuttleworth Fellow! This means we'll be able to spend more time organizing, and have support for convenings, campaign infrastructure, etc.

4. Wikimedia Strategy

Find us at Wikimedia Conference.

  • Anasuya and Siko will be carrying the Whose Knowledge? vision of diversity, pluralism and representation of marginalized communities into movement strategy conversations in Berlin March 2017.
  • What's your vision for the Wikimedia movement? If you have a perspective that you'd like us to help represent in Berlin, please reach out and let us know!

In solidarity,

Siko (talk) 21:49, 7 February 2017 (UTC)

Uncontrolled spending increases[edit]

In my essay at User:Guy Macon/Wikipedia has Cancer I make several proposals.

Whether of not you agree with the essay as a whole, would you be willing to propose and/or support the following?

  • Make spending largely transparent, publish a detailed account of what money is being spent on and answer any reasonable questions asking for more details.
  • Limit spending increases to no more than inflation plus some percentage (adjusted for any increases in page views). Are you willing to support any limit at all on spending growth, and if so roughly how much? 10%? 20%? 30%?
  • Build up our endowment and structure the endowment so that the WMF cannot legally dip into the principal when times get bad.

--Guy Macon (talk) 02:43, 19 April 2017 (UTC)

Since I see you have asked this here too, allow me to reply there. Thanks, Raystorm (talk) 11:55, 19 April 2017 (UTC)
Answered on 19 April 2017 -Guy Macon (talk) 11:53, 21 April 2017 (UTC)

Whose Knowledge?: [April 2017][edit]

Whose KnowledgeWhose Knowledge? logo 01.png News
April 2017 • Volume 1 • Issue 2
Activities and Events:
Dalit History Month Events; Wikimania 2017 submissions
Resources:
Resources lists
Wikimedia Movement:
Wikimedia Strategy: Knowledge is Global
Home font awesome.svg About Whose Knowledge?
If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription.

We hope you enjoy this issue of the Whose Knowledge? News. Please reach out to us if you have any ideas or suggestions! -- Saileshpat using MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:47, 1 May 2017 (UTC)

2017 Board Elections candidate interviews[edit]

Dear candidate,

Thank you for running for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees in this year's community elections. I am contacting you on behalf of the community podcasts Wikipedia Weekly and Source Code Berlin. We are sure you recognize the importance of transparency and a fully-informed community when it comes to these elections. To that end, we would like to conduct short audio interviews (under 30 minutes) with each of the candidates for publication in podcast form prior to the conclusion of the election. If you agree, we will contact you via email to coordinate the time and date of these interviews. Please let me know if you have any questions. Gamaliel (talk) 16:41, 2 May 2017 (UTC)

Sure. Please email me the details Gamaliel. Thanks, Raystorm (talk) 09:32, 3 May 2017 (UTC)
Thank you for agreeing to our proposed candidate interviews, but we have decided that we will not be conducting them this year. We feel that Sunday's video interview has accomplished the goal of providing the community with exposure to the candidates and we are currently exploring ways that our potential election coverage can supplement and not duplicate that exposure. Gamaliel (talk) 18:45, 8 May 2017 (UTC)

Uncontrolled spending increases[edit]

(I am asking this question of all board candidates.)

In my essay at User:Guy Macon/Wikipedia has Cancer I make several proposals.

Whether of not you agree with the essay as a whole, would you be willing to propose and/or support any of the following?

  • Make spending largely transparent, publish a detailed account of what money is being spent on and answer any reasonable questions asking for more details. There is no need for you to remind us that some things cannot be published because of legal or privacy issues. I am asking whether we should be as open and transparent as possible, not asking the board to do something stupid or illegal.
  • Limit spending increases to no more than inflation plus some percentage (adjusted for any increases in page views). Are you willing to support any limit at all on spending growth, and if so roughly how much? 10%? 20%? 30%?
  • Build up our endowment and structure the endowment so that the WMF cannot legally dip into the principal when times get bad. There is no need to answer with something to the effect that either you or the WMF have good intentions. I am specifically asking whether you support making the endowment principle legally untouchable, allowing the WMF to only spend the endowment interest.

If we do these things now, in a few short years we could be in a position to do everything we are doing now, while living off of the endowment interest, and would have no need for further fundraising. Or we could keep fundraising, using the donations to do many new and useful things, knowing that whatever we do there is a guaranteed income stream from the endowment that will be large enough to keep the servers running indefinitely. --Guy Macon (talk) 14:40, 13 May 2017 (UTC)

Hi Guy Macon,
  1. Yes, we should be as open and transparent as possible. I don't think anyone will argue with that statement. What can be a matter of discussion is the desirable level of detail - the budget of WMF is not comparable to eg one of the affiliates, where it is relatively easy to atomize. But reasonable questions for details are fine. Proposals to increase transparency are fine. Currently WMF publishes the 990, the yearly financial reports, the annual plan for the FDC and community consideration, quarterly reports, the mid-year check-in... WMF is open to suggestions for increasing transparency.
  2. I support strong spending limits based on income and reserves, not inflation. I don't see how you could foster innovation with such an approach.
  3. Yes. This is what is happening now, including eventually moving the endowment to a new 501(c)(3).

Thanks, Raystorm (talk) 10:33, 14 May 2017 (UTC)

Questions of Hindi Wiki Community to WMF elections 2017 Board of Trustees Candidates[edit]

Please go through https://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%B5%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%95%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%AA%E0%A5%80%E0%A4%A1%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%AF%E0%A4%BE:%E0%A4%9A%E0%A5%8C%E0%A4%AA%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%B2#Questions_of_Hindi_Wiki_Community_to_WMF_elections_2017_Board_of_Trustees_Candidates

Thanks --Suyash Dwivedi (talk) 07:52, 14 May 2017 (UTC) (Executive Committee Member- Wikimedia India Chapter)
Done. Thank you Suyash. :) Raystorm (talk) 11:29, 14 May 2017 (UTC)

2017 Board Elections[edit]

Congratulations for you! :) Jmvkrecords (Intra talk) 20:09, 22 May 2017 (UTC).

Jajaja muchas gracias @Jmvkrecords:. :D Raystorm (talk) 17:44, 23 May 2017 (UTC)

Congratulations!!!!! Good luck on your term!!! TenorTwelve (talk) 05:51, 4 June 2017 (UTC)

Encuentro Iberoamericano de la comunidad[edit]

Gif iberoconf 2017.gif

¡Hola!
Queríamos invitarte al encuentro iberoamericano de la comunidad que vamos a realizar el 10 de junio a las 18:30hs. en el bar Back in Black de Recoleta, CABA. Podés encontrar más información en la página del evento.
¡Sumate a compartir este espacio que reúne voluntarios/as de distintas partes del mundo!
No te olvides de firmar en la página.

¡Te esperamos!
--Constanza Verón (WMAR) (talk) 18:16, 31 May 2017 (UTC)

Error at Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees page?[edit]

At the timeline chart at Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees and History of the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees#August 2013 I don't see any confirmation for "On August 8th, 2013 I became a member of the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees". Was there a user name change, or should I put in a request to correct those pages? --Guy Macon (talk) 22:03, 31 May 2017 (UTC)

I see it on both pages... But hey, here you go. Thanks, Raystorm (talk) 22:16, 31 May 2017 (UTC)
Note to the reader: Nowhere on this user page are any of the names on the page Raystorm just linked to listed, and nowhere on that page is "Raystorm" mentioned. I had to go to Google and search on each name to find Wikimedia Foundation elections/Board elections/2013/Candidates#María Sefidari (Raystorm). María Sefidari (Raystorm) was a community-elected board member --Guy Macon (talk) 21:47, 8 June 2017 (UTC)
This is golden, bookmarking this interaction for future reference. Thanks! Raystorm (talk) 22:38, 9 June 2017 (UTC)

We're on Twitter![edit]

WikiLGBT is on Twitter!
Wikimedia LGBT+ User Group logo.svg
Hello Raystorm!
Follow the Wikimedia LGBT user group on Twitter at @wikilgbt for news, photos, and other topics of interest to LGBT Wikipedans and allies. Use #wikiLGBT to share any Wiki Loves Pride stuff that you would like to share (whether this month or any day of the year) or to alert folks to things that the LGBT Wikipedan community should know. RachelWex (talk)

RachelWex (talk) 23:39, 10 June 2017 (UTC)

Does Wikipedia have resources (or do you have advice) to deal with edit reversion anger?[edit]

Hi Raystorm!

I hope you are doing well.

I was wondering if Wikipedia has any resources for dealing with anger from edit reverts? I often have various missions that I assign myself and can get very passionate on various topics. Some of it is the activist in me wanting to make a difference in spreading information, particularly on equality issues. I don't know if this is just me or not or if this is a systemic thing (the edit revert anger thing). I don't like being angry and it disrupts my thinking; I am generally a good-hearted person; that's where much of my passion comes from. Is this something I need to work on individually? Does Wikipedia have any resources that can help? Or can they be created? Granted I am not asking you to intervene in edit disputes and whatnot, as that would be rather extremely inappropriate addressing an Administrator and Board Member about---that's not what I'm seeking. Do you have any advice? This is not the first time this has happened with me: Earlier times I wasn't as prepared for what would happen intellectually/emotionally; it hurt a lot--still a new editor then, somewhat, but also super passionate for the things I wanted to add for comprensivality to make up a new word. I'm feeling those emotions again now (today) but I recognize them from before so there is less pain but it's still pretty sharp; enough to wonder if this can be remedied or if it happens elsewhere in the Wikiverse or whatever word is needed for the Wikipedia community. Do you have any thoughts or advice? Or if there are resources or if they need to be created (if they should)?

Thanks with hope, appreciation, and respect,

TenorTwelve (talk) 06:35, 14 June 2017 (UTC)

Hey TenorTwelve! Sure, I have some advice which you might find helpful. Would you like to email me so we can have a videoconference? :) Cheers! Raystorm (talk) 11:34, 20 June 2017 (UTC)

Wikipedia Policy Idea[edit]

So I am wondering if it were to be possible for Wikipedia to create a page-viewing history so it is easier to re-locate articles one found earlier but forgot what to search for?

(btw, writing the other message was very therapeutic for me)(if it's ok I said that)

(are things like this under your domain?) (ie. policy stuff?) TenorTwelve (talk) 07:04, 14 June 2017 (UTC)

Though thinking this over, there could be privacy issues that could be raised---ie. parents or others looking up what others looked up. TenorTwelve (talk) 07:53, 14 June 2017 (UTC)

Mmm I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. As in, a History of the articles you have previously checked out? Yeah, we try to be careful with privacy issues. But if you are talking about favoriting/bookmarking articles for later reading... That would be a nifty idea. Raystorm (talk) 11:41, 20 June 2017 (UTC)
I think when I was writing this initially I was thinking the article history thing, but I would be open to either change: ie. favoriting/bookmarking. -TenorTwelve (talk) 05:11, 20 July 2017 (UTC)

New message at Wikimedia Foundation Board noticeboard[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation Board noticeboard#Wikimedia Cloud --Guy Macon (talk) 03:59, 10 July 2017 (UTC)

Wikipedia policy idea: Citations and Automatic Internet Archiving[edit]

Hi Raystorm!

I hope you are doing well.

Today I was working on a page I recently created and of the seven or so citations I used to write the article, I put them into the wayback machine for archiving to prevent them from turning into dead links. It took a while to do so. So it got me thinking: what if: every time someone puts a citation into Wikipedia via the [1] formatting---what if it automatically submitted it to the Wayback Machine or some other internet archiving site. Theoretically it could almost completely get rid of Wikipedia's dead link problem. Granted some collaboration with the wayback machine folks would be required software-wise. Or, potentially, if not automatic, an option could be created for Wikipedia users to have the option to store it in the wayback machine (or whatever archiving site is used, if others exist)

I've also been trying to see if there are drawbacks to this proposed idea---probably the biggest one is that if it is on a website that gets updated, it wouldn't show changes, even if the initial info was incorrect or needed to be deleted or something like that. Though that probably is a drawback for the wayback machine in general

Or potentially, perhaps to rectify this drawback, a message screen could come up (if someone wants to go "hunting" for the website from the citation) that the message screen could give options as to whether someone wanted the page from when it was originally saved or how it stands now. Though in a sense if Wayback Machine is used, that probably wouldn't be necessary?

(Does my train of thought/words make sense?)

[2]

Thanks,

-TenorTwelve (talk) 05:06, 20 July 2017 (UTC)

I think it is worth exploring. :) You should get in touch with the people working with Wayback Machine, if you haven't already, to see if it is feasible before anything else. Then it would be up to the different communities to see if they think this route would make sense. (Sorry for the late response. Wikimania + holidays, you know... ^^) Raystorm (talk) 16:46, 7 September 2017 (UTC)

Whose Knowledge?: [July 2017][edit]

Whose KnowledgeWhose Knowledge? logo 01.png News
July 2017 • Volume 1 • Issue 3
Activities and Events:
Okvir pilot in Bosnia and Herzegovina; Wikimania 2017
Resources:
Emancipatory Design Research
Wikimedia Movement:
Letter from Buenos Aires
Home font awesome.svg About Whose Knowledge?
If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription.

We hope you enjoy this issue of the '''Whose Knowledge?''' News. Please reach out to us if you have any ideas or suggestions! -- Saileshpat using MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:18, 2 August 2017 (UTC)

<grin>[edit]

yw. - Amgine/meta wikt wnews blog wmf-blog goog news 15:55, 1 September 2017 (UTC)

Okay? A bit of context? Raystorm (talk) 16:42, 7 September 2017 (UTC)