Wikimedia chapters are independent organizations founded to support and promote the Wikimedia projects in a specified geographical region (in most cases, a country). Like the Wikimedia Foundation, they aim to "empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and globally". There are currently Template:CHAPTER-COUNT chapters, with at least one on every inhabited continent.
This page lists current and planned chapters. Please see the step-by-step chapter creation guide and the movement affiliates FAQ for more information. The Affiliations Committee advises on and assists the creation of and to support affiliates.
Some chapters have an office.
Find an overview of chapter-related Meta pages on Chapters Portal.
There are currently Template:CHAPTER-COUNT recognised Wikimedia chapters.
The following were recognized Wikimedia chapters during the periods indicated.
|Cabang||Founding (approval) date||De-recognition date||Comments|
|KE||Wikimedia Kenya||Never incorporated
|2013||Provisional recognition expired|
|HK||Wikimedia Hong Kong||2007-07-14
|2017-02-01||Derecognized for prolonged non-compliance|
|2017-09-10||Derecognized for prolonged non-compliance|
|2017-08-01||Derecognized for prolonged non-compliance|
|2017-02-28||Derecognized for prolonged non-compliance|
|2019-09-14||Derecognized for prolonged non-compliance|
|2021-02-10||Derecognized for prolonged non-compliance|
Chapters in discussion phase
Chapters in active preparation to become a chapter. You should add here any chapter that is under discussion to be started up. Please provide link to a page (in meta) with more detailed information (at best with a short summary in English) and provide a contact for questions about the present state.
- A yellowish background means organizations are currently in active contact (as of the "last update" date) with the Affiliations Committee;
- A light grey background means awaiting an update (from the proposed organization? from AffCom?)
- A light blue background means the AffCom has asked the Board to approve the organization's formation.
Former chapters in discussion
Chapters formerly in preparation to become a chapter, which have either stalled or been absorbed into other chapters.
Ideas for chapters
See the movement affiliates FAQ to understand what a local chapter is, and what it entails to create a new one. If you wish to create a local chapter, follow the step-by-step chapter creation guide. In case you have any questions, contact the Affiliations Committee.
Di Amerika Utara
- Wikimedia United States Coalition – mailing list
- Wikimedia Cascadia – a chapter in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon and Washington and possibly including Northern California and/or British Columbia)
- Wikimedia Florida – Possibility of a chapter for Florida
- Wikimedia Oklahoma – Possibility of a chapter for Oklahoma
- Wikimedia Texas – Possibility of a chapter for Texas and the south-central United States
- Wikimedia Mainland China – The discussion of establishing a chapter started in 2009 on Chinese Wikipedia. The discussion was ended due to the political problems and no possibility of being legally incorporated. While the discussion restarted in 2013 when WMF start to recognize User Group, and the Wikimedia User Group China has been recognized since August 2014. There is no further plan for forming a chapter before the NPO can be freely incorporated in mainland China.
- Wikimedia Japan – 設立の是非について投票中です。 The page reads "There are currently no active arguments to establish a local Japanese chapter, mainly because very few Japanese language community members are interested in it. Lack of legal knowledge and accounting skills among the community is also a large contributing factor."
- Wikimedia Nepal विकिमिडिया नेपाल is recognized as a user group Wikimedians of Nepal on 29th May, 2013. Now it is in the way of becoming national chapter. Wikipedia was begun in Nepal on June 3, 2002 with Nepali Wikipedia. Now Wikipedias are avaible in five languages spoken in Nepal. Wikimedia Nepal begun regular meetups and discussions from 17 July 2010. It has been organizing outreach and various programs to promote Wikipedia in Nepal.
- Wikimedia Pakistan is recognized as a user group.
- Wikimedia Botswana – in discussion.
- Wikimedia Ghana – in discussion.
- Wikimedia Maroc – in discussion.
- Wikimedia Tunisie – in discussion.
- Wikimedia Uganda – Initiating discussion and calling for supporters.
- Wikimedia Mauritanie – in discussion.
- Wikimedia New Zealand is being discussed.
Di Amerika Selatan
- Wikimedia Ecuador – Menyeru penyokong dan menulis undang-undang kecil.
- Wikimedia Bolivia – Recognized on 2018 as Wikimedistas of Bolivia user group. Still calling for supporters.
Di Amerika Tengah
- Wikimedia Costa Rica – Memanggil untuk sokongan.
Composition of chapters
Lihat juga Wikimedia chapters/Rumusan. Senarai ini mungkin sebahagiannya ketinggalan zaman dengan syarat mengikut abjad oleh kod negara:
- Chapters Council, a proposed central organization for chapters intended to promote coordination and accountability. See Wikimedia Chapters Association.
- Regional Cooperation Initiative for Ibero-America (Iberocoop)
- Wikimedia United States Coalition
- Central and Eastern European Wikimedia Group
- Wikimedia Asia, a regional cooperation initiative for chapters and working groups in Asia and Australia.
- Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU, an initiative in the European Union to have a clear and coherent position on major legislative and political changes affecting the vision, mission and values of the Wikimedia movement.
Senarai mel dan wiki
Apart from public mailing lists (most notably Chapters-reports) and websites listed elsewhere, there are two main private channels for communication and coordination among chapters, which existing chapters must follow and participate in:
- Internal wiki and Internal-l – Local Chapters, board and officers coordination: each chapter can subscribe an unlimited number of board members (as of 13th August 2010), with an e-mail to the list admin by the president; additional members can be subscribed following the usual procedure (endorsement by a subscribed person + consensus on wiki);
- Chapters wiki and chapters mailinglist for discussions and decisions among chapters: each chapter can subscribe unlimited board members (and some staffer) and an email by the president of the chapter to the list admins with the list of email addresses to add/remove is the usual process; there are also other lists for working groups, generally subsets of the previous one, apart some more open lists (e.g. GLAM).
- Affiliations committee
- Local chapter FAQ
- Chapters email management
- Chapters per Wikimedia language
- Interorganizational relations among chapters: a summary of a long discussion on IRC
- Sub-national chapters
- Guidelines for future chapters
- Requirements for future chapters
- Is the chapter formally recognized as a Nonprofit organization under its nation's laws? "n/a" should be used if the country's laws do not recognize a nonprofit status.
- corporation information
- A small no profit association doesn't require the formal approval. It's sufficient to follow the law and to have a bylaws compliant with to the law. The tax exemption has been formally approved .
- All associations are non-profit by definition in the Czech republic.
- All associations in Spain have Non profit status.
- Wikimédia Magyarország is a registered association at the Court and all registered associations are non-profit by definition in Hungary. Wikimédia Magyarország is recognized as "organization for the public benefit" status which means: transparency requirements, tax exemptions, tax deductibility etc.
- Based on Wikimedia Indonesia Board of Executive Meeting.
- Officially approved by Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism of South Korea since 2015.
- At the founding team's request, the provisional approval was extended by the WMF executive director until April 2013.
- Officialy recognized as Wikimedia México A.C. (civic association) under Mexican laws since February 2013.
- There is no separate official non-profit status. However, we have been granted charity status (ANBI) by the tax office since January 2010, which, among other demands, requires that the organization is a non-profit by its bylaws and operates as a non-profit in practice. During 2012 we were busy to prepare the chapter for the CBF certificate for 'small charities'.
- All associations are non-profit by definition in Poland
- All organizations in Portugal have Non profit status.
- board resolution here
- Announcement from the Affiliations Committee, Feb 7th, 2017.
- Announcement from the Affiliations Committee, Sep 9th, 2017.
- Announcement from the Affiliations Committee, Aug 13th, 2017.
- Announcement from the Affiliations Committee, April 22nd, 2017.
- Wikimedia movement affiliates/Formerly Active Affiliates
- Wikimedia movement affiliates/Formerly Active Affiliates
- Chapters mailing list