- 1 Wikimedia LGBT
- 2 Question on role of Arabic
- 3 Help for a Constantine postcard
- 4 Some questions from AffCom
- 5 Congratulations and welcome!
- 6 eLearning Africa Conference
- 7 Nominations are being accepted for 2015 Wikimedia Foundation elections
- 8 Requests for comments on Wikimedia user groups approval process and agreements
- 9 Wikimedia Foundation Funds Dissemination Committee elections 2015
- 10 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections 2015
- 11 Wikipedia's 15th birthday / le 15ème anniversaire de Wikipédia
- 12 Introducing the Wikimedia Affiliates mailing list
- 13 Wikipedia 15 has a mark! / Wikipédia 15 a maintenant une marque !
- 14 Your input requested on the proposed #FreeBassel banner campaign
- 15 2015 Affiliations Committee call for candidates
- 16 Get involved in Wikipedia 15!
- 17 eLearning Africa 2016 Conference submission extension
- 18 10,000 Challenge for Africa
|Wikimedia LGBT is a proposed thematic organization that seeks to promote the development of content on Wikimedia projects which is of interest to LGBT communities. Proposed activities include outreach at LGBT events, Wikimania and other Wikimedia events, an international campaign called Wiki Loves Pride, and work on safe space policies, among other collaborations and interwiki projects. Active Wikimedians are welcome to join this cause! Please consider adding your name as a participant/supporter. Current tasks include translating pages, building a strong framework here at Meta, and achieving user group status (with the eventual goal of becoming a thematic organization). Your feedback is welcome on the discussion page.|
Question on role of Arabic
French is the official language of the planned chapter so I assume all bylaws etc. will be in French and if there are differences between other language versions, the French has supremacy.
- the official language of the future chapter are arabic -- french and english are in the second position--Bachounda (talk) 23:34, 3 June 2014 (UTC)
Help for a Constantine postcard
Some questions from AffCom
Hello, Algerian wiki[pm]edians! I would like to ask you guys a few questions to have all the relevant information in one place (one-two paragraph summaries or links to other pages are fine), which we use to get to know you better and to have a catalog of all affiliates as we ask all of them a very similar set of questions. These will also be useful if you later in time decide to apply for chapter or thematic organization status. Please keep in mind that there are no "expected" or wrong answers.
- Who are the people behind this application?
- How many?
- any active (on local or international level) Wiki[pm]edians? (please provide user names and wiki of origin)
- Active in which communities if any?
- How are they geographically distributed?
- How many people do you expect will eventually want to join?
- For the application and final agreement we will require two contact persons that can sign the Wikimedia_User_Group_Agreement on behalf of the group. Who will those be?
- Could you give a short overview of the time path of the founding up to now?
- Have there been any activities/meetings etc. of this group of people?
- What kind of activities are planned for the future in the user group?
- How can We help You?
- What name would you like to use? (There are some templates at Step-by-step_user_group_creation_guide#Naming_of_user_groups.)
Thank you in advance for your time in answering these questions, which help us get a feel for your group and determine how far along the process towards user group status are you at the moment. Let me know if you need any clarifications!!
Congratulations and welcome!
Congratulations on your recent recognition as a user group! We wanted to let you know about this tool for Wikimedia organizations (including user groups) that was just recently developed, in case you are interested in participating in the first phase of the project. We are collecting a first round of responses until 21 December: Organizational_effectiveness/Tool. We wanted to let you know about the tool, since as a newer group, we may not have reached out to you yet.
If your group is interested in participating, but has questions, we'd be happy to help you get started. Just contact me on my user page or send me a note at orgeffectiveness at wikimedia dot org. Cheers and welcome, Winifred Olliff (FDC Support Team) talk 19:09, 15 December 2014 (UTC)
eLearning Africa Conference
Hello WMDZ. I just came across a regional conference that seems relevant for you and community members. The 10th annual eLearning Africa conference will be hosted this year in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, at the African Union HQ. I'm in the process of seeing if there's space for any involvement from the Wikipedia Education Program team, be it a conference session or pre-conference workshop. Could also be an opportunity to highlight some of the work you do as well or learn what others are doing in the region! @Bachounda: Please share onwards as appropriate :) Tighe Flanagan (WMF) (talk) 17:50, 26 February 2015 (UTC)
I am pleased to announce that nominations are now being accepted for the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections. This year the Board and the FDC Staff are looking for a diverse set of candidates from regions and projects that are traditionally under-represented on the board and in the movement as well as candidates with experience in technology, product or finance. To this end they have published letters describing what they think is needed and, recognizing that those who know the community the best are the community themselves, the election committee is accepting nominations for community members you think should run and will reach out to those nominated to provide them with information about the job and the election process.
This year, elections are being held for the following roles:
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is the decision-making body that is ultimately responsible for the long term sustainability of the Foundation, so we value wide input into its selection. There are three positions being filled. More information about this role can be found at the board elections page.
Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC)
The Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) makes recommendations about how to allocate Wikimedia movement funds to eligible entities. There are five positions being filled. More information about this role can be found at the FDC elections page.
Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) Ombud
The FDC Ombud receives complaints and feedback about the FDC process, investigates complaints at the request of the Board of Trustees, and summarizes the investigations and feedback for the Board of Trustees on an annual basis. One position is being filled. More information about this role can be found at the FDC Ombudsperson elections page.
The candidacy submission phase lasts from 00:00 UTC April 20 to 23:59 UTC May 5 for the Board and from 00:00 UTCApril 20 to 23:59 UTC April 30 for the FDC and FDC Ombudsperson. This year, we are accepting both self-nominations and nominations of others. More information on this election and the nomination process can be found on the 2015 Wikimedia elections page on Meta-Wiki.
Please feel free to post a note about the election on your project's village pump. Any questions related to the election can be posted on the talk page on Meta, or sent to the election committee's mailing list, board-elections -at- wikimedia.org
Wikimedia user groups are groups of Wikimedia users who support and promote the Wikimedia projects in the offline world by organizing meetups and other projects. The Wikimedia Affiliations Committee's responsibilities include approval of new Wikimedia user groups.
The committee will seek community input until Friday, May 1, 2015. The committee will then review the community's input, and publish the new process and agreements on Meta-Wiki. The committee will again seek community input approximately six months after any changes are adopted to gauge effectiveness and if any additional changes are necessary.
Please see the RFC page on Meta-Wiki for more information and to provide feedback.
Thank you - Wikimedia Affiliations Committee
Voting has begun for eligible voters in the 2015 elections for the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) and FDC Ombudsperson. Questions and discussion with the candidates for the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) and FDC Ombudsperson will continue during the voting. Nominations for the Board of Trustees will be accepted until 23:59 UTC May 5.
The Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) makes recommendations about how to allocate Wikimedia movement funds to eligible entities. There are five positions on the committee being filled.
The FDC Ombudsperson receives complaints and feedback about the FDC process, investigates complaints at the request of the Board of Trustees, and summarizes the investigations and feedback for the Board of Trustees on an annual basis. One position is being filled.
The voting phase lasts from 00:00 UTC May 3 to 23:59 UTC May 10. Click here to vote. Questions and discussion with the candidates will continue during that time. Click here to ask the FDC candidates a question. Click here to ask the FDC Ombudsperson candidates a question. More information on the candidates and the elections can be found on the 2015 FDC election page, the 2015 FDC Ombudsperson election page, and the 2015 Board election page on Meta-Wiki.
The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees is the ultimate governing authority of the Wikimedia Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization registered in the United States. The Wikimedia Foundation manages many diverse projects such as Wikipedia and Commons.
Wikipedia's 15th birthday / le 15ème anniversaire de Wikipédia
Apologies for cross-posting the below!
The 15th birthday of Wikipedia, and the Wikimedia movement, is coming soon! We’re eager to make plans to celebrate on January 15, 2016.
As a way to kickstart planning around the 15th, there is a page on Meta for Wikipedia 15. Eventually, we plan for the page to have resources including:
- Resources to plan events and meetups locally to celebrate the 15th.
- More information on sharing birthday photos, videos, stories, Wikipedia content, and other media.
- Tips for pitching to local media to cover your event.
Many of the sections on the meta page are blank for now, but we’ll be working with you to add more information to the page over the next few months leading up to the birthday celebration in January. Please feel free to add, edit, and discuss what you’d like to see for Wikipedia’s 15th birthday!
We look forward to celebrating with you!
Le 15ème anniversaire de Wikipédia, et du mouvement Wikimedia, approche ! Nous avons envie de célébrer cela le 15 janvier 2016.
Dans le but de lancer l'organisation des 15 ans de Wikipédia, il y a une page dédiée sur Meta. À terme, l'objectif de cette page est de vous fournir :
- Des ressources pour prévoir des événements et des rencontres localement afin de fêter les 15 ans.
- Des informations pour partager des photos, des vidéos, des histoires, du contenu Wikipédia ou d'autres médias autour de l'anniversaire.
- Des conseils pour communiquer auprès des médias qui vont couvrir votre événement.
La plupart des sections de la page meta sont vides actuellement, mais nous allons travailler ensemble pour ajouter plus d'informations au cours des prochains mois jusqu'à l'anniversaire en janvier. N'hésitez pas à ajouter, éditer ou discuter ce que vous aimeriez voir pour les 15 ans de Wikipédia.
Nous espérons célébrer cela avec vous !
The Wikimedia Affiliations Committee is pleased to introduce the launch of the Wikimedia Affiliates mailing list, which is basically a place for all the affiliates (chapters, thematic organizations, user groups) to discuss issues related to affiliates, make announcements to other affiliates, and collaborate on activities and community-wide events. The idea is to help facilitate the dialogue affiliates across our movement, plus collaborative discussions like community-wide activities, joint edit-a-thons, regional conferences, blog/report posts, or other communications from affiliates.
Each Wikimedia movement affiliate is allocated three spots on the mailing list. All affiliates may contact the Affiliations Committee to request additional spots if needed.
Thank you - Wikimedia Affiliations Committee
Wikipedia 15 has a mark! / Wikipédia 15 a maintenant une marque !
Wikipedia 15 now has a mark! Be sure to check out the “Material” section of the Wikipedia 15 meta page to see the design, and learn about how to use it. This year's mark is meant to be fun, interactive, and infinitely customisable. We can’t wait to see how you and your Wikimedia community use it!
Wikipédia 15 a maintenant une marque ! Soyez sûr de regarder la section “Matériel” de la page méta Wikipédia 15 pour voir le design et la façon de l’utiliser. La marque de cette année est prévue pour être amusante, interactive et déclinable à l’infini. Nous somme impatient de voir comment vous et votre communauté Wikimedia allez l’utiliser !
This is to inform all Wikimedia contributors that a straw poll seeking your involvement has just been started on Meta-Wiki.
As some of your might be aware, a small group of Wikimedia volunteers have proposed a banner campaign informing Wikipedia readers about the urgent situation of our fellow Wikipedian, open source software developer and Creative Commons activist, Bassel Khartabil. An exemplary banner and an explanatory page have now been prepared, and translated into about half a dozen languages by volunteer translators.
We are seeking your involvement to decide if the global Wikimedia community approves starting a banner campaign asking Wikipedia readers to call on the Syrian government to release Bassel from prison. We understand that a campaign like this would be unprecedented in Wikipedia's history, which is why we're seeking the widest possible consensus among the community.
Given Bassel's urgent situation and the resulting tight schedule, we ask everyone to get involved with the poll and the discussion to the widest possible extent, and to promote it among your communities as soon as possible.
(Apologies for writing in English; please kindly translate this message into your own language.)
Thank you for your participation!
The Affiliations Committee – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is looking for new members!
The main role of the Affiliations Committee is to guide groups of volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and advise the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees on issues connected to chapters, thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.
The committee consists of twelve members, six of whom are selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms.
- Key skills
Being a part of the Affiliations Committee requires communication with volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to understand legal texts. We try to get a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members. The key skills and experience that we look for in candidates are:
- Excitement by the challenge of helping to empower groups of volunteers worldwide.
- Willingness to process applications through a set, perhaps bureaucratic process.
- Readiness to participate in political discussions on the role and future of affiliates, models of affiliations, and similar questions.
- Availability of up to 5 hours per week, and the time to participate in a monthly ~2 hour voice/video meeting.
- International orientation.
- Very good communication skills in English.
- Ability to work and communicate with other languages and cultures.
- Strong understanding of the structure and work of affiliates and the WMF.
- Knowledge of different legal systems and experience in community building and organising are a plus.
- Effective communication skills in other languages are a major plus.
- Experience with or in an active affiliate is a major plus.
- Willingness to use one's real name in committee activities (including contacts with current and potential affiliates) when appropriate.
We are looking for people who are not afraid of the workload and are motivated by helping other volunteers to get organized and form communities that further our mission around the world.
- Selection process
As a reflection of our commitment to openness, transparency, and bilateral engagement with the Wikimedia community, the 2015 member selection process will include a public review and comment period. All applications received by the committee will be posted on Meta (at Affiliations Committee/Candidates/2015), and the community will be invited to provide comments and feedback about each candidate.
At the end of the public comment period, the applications will be voted on by the members of the committee who are not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisors, WMF staff and board liaisons, and the community. A final decision will be made by mid-January 2016, with new members expected to join later that month.
- How to apply
If you are interested in joining the committee, please send an application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 December 2015. You will get a confirmation that your application was received.
Your application should include the following:
- Your full name
- Your contact information (including e-mail address and username)
- A statement describing your relevant experience, skills, and motivation for joining the committee.
Your statement will be published for community review and feedback, so please do not include any information that you are not comfortable sharing.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me and/or the committee as a whole. We are happy to chat or have a phone call with anyone about our work if this helps them decide to apply. Please distribute this call among your networks, and do apply if you are interested!
Chair, Affiliations Committee
As many of you know, January 15 is Wikipedia’s 15th Birthday!
People around the world are getting involved in the celebration and have started adding their events on Meta Page. While we are celebrating Wikipedia's birthday, we hope that all projects and affiliates will be able to utilize this celebration to raise awareness of our community's efforts.
Haven’t started planning? Don’t worry, there’s lots of ways to get involved. Here are some ideas:
- Join/host an event. We already have more than 80, and hope to have many more.
- Talk to local press. In the past 15 years, Wikipedia has accomplished extraordinary things. We’ve made a handy summary of milestones and encourage you to add your own. More resources, including a press release template and resources on working with the media, are also available.
- Design a Wikipedia 15 logo. In place of a single icon for Wikipedia 15, we’re making dozens. Add your own with something fun and representative of your community. Just use the visual guide so they share a common sensibility.
- Share a message on social media. Tell the world what Wikipedia means to you, and add #wikipedia15 to the post. We might re-tweet or share your message!
Everything is linked on the Wikipedia 15 Meta page. You’ll find a set of ten data visualization works that you can show at your events, and a list of all the Wikipedia 15 logos that community members have already designed.
Thanks and Happy nearly Wikipedia 15!
-The Wikimedia Foundation Communications team
eLearning Africa 2016 Conference submission extension
Want to represent and share your work with Wikimedia at the 1tth annual pan-African conference for ICT for development, education and training conference?
I've been notified by the organizers of the eLearning Africa Conference that submissions are still open to Wikimedia community members who wish to participate. This year's conference will be held in Cairo from May 24 - 26. If selected to present, Wikimedians could take advantage of the Travel and Participation Support (TPS) funds available through Community Resources. As the formal deadline has already passed, any proposals should be submitted as soon as possible.
Proposal Submission Form (direct link)
Noting that there is a reduced registration fee for speakers and students. Please share this announcement to potential participants, and let me know if you apply (on wiki or via email, tflanaganwikimedia.org) so I can follow up with the program organizers on your behalf. Tighe Flanagan (WMF) (talk) 19:36, 18 February 2016 (UTC)
10,000 Challenge for Africa
Hi there, I'd be very grateful if you could help publicize and support this. I've made a grant proposal to cover Africa with regional contests and aim to make 10,000 improvements overall. If interested sign up on the Challenge page. You're welcome to invite other language wikis to participate too!Dr. Blofeld (talk) 17:15, 6 September 2016 (UTC)