Talk:Wikimedia Sverige

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wikimedia Sverige
Den här mallen är till för att redigeringar av sidan ska komma med på vår egen
Senaste ändringarna

Contents

Gammal sida[edit]

Den här sidan är jättegammal. Ska den skrotas, läggas i malpåse? // habj 21:34, 8 July 2007 (UTC)

Diskussionen har aktualiserats igen, på Bybrunnen, så sidan bör väl finnas kvar?--Godfellow 10:33, 12 July 2007 (UTC)

Bankgironummer på skyddad sida[edit]

Jag föreslår att bankgironumret för medlemsavgifter läggs på en skrivskyddad sida och att informationen på den sidan anropas hit. Alternativt att denna sida skrivskyddas för oinloggade användare. --Bensin 06:36, 17 October 2007 (UTC)

Instämmer. Det är viktigt man kan lita fullt ut på uppgifterna. jag la upp föreningsdata på en webbsida men blev sedan tveksam peka på den - det går ju lika lätt peka på en falsk sådan sida som att ändra BG nummer. Hjälp för att på datat säkrare tas tacksamt emot. Anders Wennersten 08:56, 17 October 2007 (UTC)
Jag fixar. Nu ligger nummret i en undersida som anropas som en mall. Jag ska nu begära skrivskydd. /Joakim Larsson 11:04, 17 October 2007 (UTC)
Skrivskyddad. /Joakim Larsson 13:30, 17 October 2007 (UTC)

Undersidor[edit]

Jag är inte helt förtjust i den nuvarande strukturen med många lager av undersidor. Det skapar en känsla av pseudoordning, men så fort man råkar glömma att skapa ett lager i strukturen - såsom Wikimedia Sverige/Årsmöte‎ som jag nyss skapat, Wikimedia Sverige/Årsmöte‎/2007 hade ingen sida ovanför sig - blir det strul. Det infinner sig även lustigheter som att man förväntar sig att en sida om årsmöten 2008 borde finnas på Wikimedia Sverige/Årsmöte‎/2008, men si den skiss som finns återfinns på Wikimedia Sverige/Styrelsen/Årsmötet 2008. Om man låter bli att inordna sidorna i den här undersidesstrukturen och istället låter ett kategoriträd sköta om strukturen, kan man enkelt ha en sida för årsmötet 2007, en annan för årsmötet 2008 och enkelt låta den sistnämnda sidan ligga i en kategori för styrelsen, om man så önskar. Jag skulle gärna bryta ner den här strukturen och flytta ut om inte alla undersidor, så i vart fall göra undersidorna betydligt färre. // habj 01:37, 22 October 2007 (UTC)

För mig får du gärna göra så. Jag ville inte bre ut oss allt för mycket innan vi fanns "på riktigt" i WMF:s ögon. Annledningen till att Wikimedia Sverige/Styrelsen/Årsmötet 2008 ligger under styrelsen är att det är en sida för planeringen av årsmötet, medans det som ligger under Wikimedia Sverige/Årsmöte‎ är information om årsmöten. Men som sagt, kategorier är så som man helst ska göra och du får gärna ändra om. Joakim Larsson 09:55, 22 October 2007 (UTC)
Fast jag vet inte, jag har bara någon känsla av att systemet med undersidor är bra för styrelsesidan, men det baseras bara på en känsla, så jag ska tänka mer kring det. /�Joakim Larsson 09:56, 22 October 2007 (UTC)
Kanske sådant som ni ser som internt material, som man förväntar sig att andra mer troligt skriver på diskussionssidan till än redigerar själva sidan, ska ligga som undersidor? Den gränsdragningen är dock svår.
Kanske man i vart fall kan dela upp det på några olika huvudsidor med undersidor, istället för att ha fem lager under en och samma sida. Man borde kanske kolla upp hur de andra lokalavdelningarna/stödföreningarna har gjort. // habj 12:29, 22 October 2007 (UTC)
Jag litar gärna på att du löser det till det bästa :) /Joakim Larsson 21:39, 22 October 2007 (UTC)

Navigeringsmall[edit]

Den erkända mallofoben habj har nu skapat en navigeringmall enligt metoden "sno och se glad ut", på Template:WMS. Den kan säkerligen förbättras på många sätt, men jag stör mig särskilt på de svaga länkar som består i ett antagande att alla sidor för styrelsemötesprotokoll kommer att namnges på formen "Wikimedia Sverige/Protokoll". IMHO är det bättre att ha en särskild sida som listar alla föreningens styrelsemöten, kanske tillsammans med några meningar om föreningens styrelsemöten i allmänhet. Om man enligt ovan vill överge strukturen med undersidor, kan en sådan sida till exempel heta Wikimedia Sveriges årsmöten. // habj 01:37, 22 October 2007 (UTC)

Låter mycket bra. /Joakim Larsson 09:55, 22 October 2007 (UTC)
Jag har gjort om vår navigeringsmall så den blivit mer automagisk. See förklaring på {{Wikimedia Sverige}}. Det gör den lättare att använda, men ger den krångligare kod inuti. Så när jag nu ser på det i efterhand så är jag inte säker på att jag egentligen gjort en förbättring, men jag kunde inte låta bli när jag fick idén. Om ni inte skulle gilla det så är det lätt att ändra tillbaka till den gamla lösningen med två olika namn.
--David Göthberg 10:03, 2 March 2008 (UTC)

Uppdatering av artikelsidan[edit]

Jag tror också att vi kommer att behöva uppdatera Wikimedia Sveriges sida här rätt ordentligt (alternativt om vi lägger det på Johans webbhotell.) Det här är mina idéer om vad en sådan sida skulle behöva innehålla:

  1. WMF-shop - T-tröjor med tryck, knappar, etc
  2. länk till nyhetsbrevet samt info om hur man prenumererar
  3. länk till sändlistan
  4. presentation av styrelsen
  5. projekt - planer inför framtiden, utförda projekt, hur man lämnar in förslag på nya projekt
  6. samarbetspartners
  7. länkar till Wikimania, wikifikor och andra chapters och det officiella chaptersmötet
  8. mål, budget och stadgar
  9. historik (inklusive Lars klärvoajanta presentation av våra första 50 år)
  10. förslag på seminarier, kurser och annat som vi kan fixa för skolor, bibliotek etc
  11. länk till den broschyr/de broschyrer man kan ladda ner från Commons//svHannibal 08:04, 23 October 2007 (UTC)
Jag tycker vi ska göra den tydliga uppdelningen mellan arbetsmatrial (meta), diskussion (mailinglistan) och statisk information (hemsidan). /Joakim Larsson 10:43, 23 October 2007 (UTC)
Det har du nog rätt i. Men de här sakerna, plus några till, skulle behöva få plats någonstans i alla fall.//svHannibal 17:51, 23 October 2007 (UTC)
Absolut /Joakim Larsson 19:53, 23 October 2007 (UTC)

Fler språk än Svenska?[edit]

Ska inte Wikimedia Sverige ta hand om alla språk som talas i Sverige, för det heter ju Wikimedia Sverige det handlar ju inte bara om Svenska. Här är alla Wikipedior: Finska, Jiddisch, Romani, Samiska och Svenska. Max sonnelid 14:35, 28 October 2007 (UTC)

Nja, Wikimedia Sverige är till för att främja alla Wikimediaprojekt och fri kunskap inom Sveriges gränser, inte begränsat till några särskilda språkupplagor av Wikipedia. Och vi "tar" inte hand om dem på något sätt eftersom att projekten är helt fristående från oss och vi bara vill främja dem. /��Joakim Larsson 15:44, 28 October 2007 (UTC)
De i Sverige mest använda wikimediaprojekten tror jag är svenskspråkiga Wikipedia, engelskspråkiga Wikipedia och Commons. Men föreningen kan ju själv välja vilka projekt de vill främja mest. --Boivie 13:23, 27 November 2007 (UTC)

Lokalavdelning/stödförening[edit]

Formuleringen "lokalavdelning" misstänker jag ursprungligen är mitt fel. Det var den term jag drog till med första gången jag skulle översätta "Local Chapter", och den har väl visat sig inte helt jättebra. På årsmötet, eller om det var under snacket efteråt, dök begreppet "stödförening" upp vilket jag tycker låter mycket bättre. Kanske vi borde skriva om till "stödförening", samt ändra i stadgarna? // habj 12:23, 27 November 2007 (UTC)

Vi har nog i stort sett redan fört in ordet stödförening i stället för Lokalavdelning. Jag hittade bara ordet lokalavdelning i den översta stödtexten till sidan, och även den bör nog ändras. Däremot tycker jag i översättningar när WMF använder ordet local chapter att vi översätter det med lokalavdelningar (jag gjorde det idag när jag översatte några ord i en enkät från WMF). Anders Wennersten 17:30, 27 November 2007 (UTC)
Det är iofs lite perifert på den här sidan, men nog blir det konstigt att använda ett ord för Sveriges "Local Chapter" och ett annat för de övriga. "Lokal stödförening" borde väl funka som standardöversättning av "Local Chapter", tycker jag. // habj 18:00, 27 November 2007 (UTC)
Bra förslag. Jag har ändrat all användandning av Lokalavdelning(ar) jag hittat och ändrat till (lokal(a)) stödförening(ar). Anders Wennersten 19:54, 27 November 2007 (UTC)

WMS/WMSE[edit]

På de svenskspråkiga projekten har förkortningen "WMS" för Wikimedia Sverige uppkommit helt spontant, troligen på ett ganska tidigt stadium av förberedelser av bildandet. Nu har det sagts mig att det "ska" heta WMSE. Rimligen kan ingen invända mot vad vi använder för förkortningar på svenska... å andra sidan är det bökigt att ha olika förkortningar på svenska och engelska. "WMSE" är så bökigt, det är inte ens en förkortning utan någon annan typ av bokstavskombination. I vilka sammanhang måste det heta WMSE, om några? // habj 13:33, 27 November 2007 (UTC)

WMSE har vi själva aldrig använt, inte heller i dialogen med WMF, då vi hittills alltid använt Wikimedia Sverige. Jag instämmer att WMSE det är en mycket bökig förkortning, och att WMS faller sig naturligt - så jag tycker vi fortsätter med den förkortningen. Anders Wennersten 17:34, 27 November 2007 (UTC)
Problemet är att det redan finns en WMS, som jag tror det var Jon Harald Söby som påpekade. Fast i röran av epost hittar jag inte precis det mailet så jag minns inte vad det stod för. Det enda jag hittar på Metasidan är Web Map Service (se http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Map_Service) men jag fortsätter leta. Å andra sidan är väl frågan om det kommer att bli något vi använder eller inte.//svHannibal 22:35, 27 November 2007 (UTC)
Argumentet att WMSE är så bökigt är väl inte rikigt sant, för det är väl bara tänkt att användas i skrift, och vad spelar då ett tecken för roll, S och E sitter bredvid varandra så det skrivs fort. Dessutom bör vi inte göra en Y2K genom att låta bli att hålla oss till de redan standardiserade landskoderna. Men personligen tycker jag att vi överhuvudtaget ska låta bli att förkorta. Ainali 22:41, 4 December 2007 (UTC)

Undersidor för personer[edit]

Någon som motsätter sig om de här olika kandidatsidorna ersätts med en sida om styrelsen, där varje person kan beskrivas mer kortfattat? Hela kandidatur-sidan behöver kanske inte vara med. Valberedning och revisorer behöver IMHO inte mera presentation än någon typ av kontaktinformation, minimum länk till användarsida varifrån det ju går att skicka wikimail. // habj 00:35, 29 November 2007 (UTC)

Jag har rensat och tagit bort alla kandidatpresentationer. För styrelsemedlemmar och ordinarie revisorer har jag lagt in länk till användarsidor. För styreslen så vill jag också när vi fått till mailadressen styrelsen@wikimedia.se lägga en ref till denna efter rubriken styrelsen. Någon extra sida sedan för styrelsen (eller revisorer) tycker jag sedan inte behövs. Däremot ser jag att det kan vara lämpligt att lägga upp det lite annorlunda när det gäller valberedningen, med egen sida eller så, men där bör ju ni göra som ni finner bäst. Anders Wennersten 11:42, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
För styreslen så vill jag också när vi fått till mailadressen styrelsen@wikimedia.se lägga en ref till denna efter rubriken styrelsen. Samma sak för valberedningen. Kommer det att finnas möjlighet att utnyttja dessa adresser snart (alltså valberedningen@wikimedia.se t.ex)? --MiCkEdb 11:50, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
Så fort vi blir godkända. När det sker vet bara WMF.//svHannibal 12:43, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
Tack för info! Då får vi hoppas att det sker snart :-), jag förstår att det tar tid dock... --MiCkEdb 16:29, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
Tills dess lägger jag in länkar till våra användarsidor. Vi vill trots allt vara kontaktbara. // habj 20:28, 4 December 2007 (UTC)
Eller... äsch. Den infon finns ju på valberedningens undersida. // habj 20:33, 4 December 2007 (UTC)

Protokoll[edit]

Protokollen är inte så innehållsrika... Finns det ingen möjlighet att få reda på vad ni har sagt? Kommer det bara att rapporteras att ni har sagt något? --MiCkEdb 11:50, 29 November 2007 (UTC)

Bra, bra! Det senaste protokollet var tillfyllest! Kul! --MiCkEdb 16:19, 9 January 2008 (UTC)

TOC[edit]

Försökte lägga tillbaka TOC ("innehållsförteckningen" som bildas automagiskt via underrubrikerna"), men då kom alla underrubriker med inklusive de på andra språk. Finns något sätt att komma runt detta? // habj 02:27, 10 December 2007 (UTC)

partipolitiskt obunden[edit]

Borde det inte heta "politiskt obunden" helt enkelt, och inte "partipolitiskt obunden"? Det är väl bra att efterstäva politiskt obundenhet oavsett allians till ett politiskt parti. Eller? --Ezeu 20:19, 3 March 2008 (UTC)

Vi har inga band till något parti, men däremot kan vi ju ha egna idéer av politisk karaktär. Att förespråka fri kunskap och fria programvaror är ju t.ex. inte ett helt opolitiskt värv. --MiCkEdb 19:13, 3 March 2008 (UTC)

Software freedom day[edit]

Något Wikimedia Sverige kan hjälpa till med, kanske? //85.228.200.95 09:55, 22 March 2008 (UTC)

Moving info[edit]

Since we seem to have consensus that this page should not contain info that also exist at wikimedia.se I have moved the info that I added during the Chapters Meeting 2011 (Berlin) to Chaptermöte mars 2011 (en)

--Anna Bauer 16:14, 29 March 2011 (UTC)

Wikimedia LGBT[edit]

Wikimedia LGBT outreach logo.svg Wikimedia LGBT+
Wikimedia LGBT+ is a proposed thematic organization that seeks to promote the development of content on Wikimedia projects which is of interest to LGBT+ communities. Proposed activities include outreach at LGBT events, Wikimania and other Wikimedia events, an international campaign called Wiki Loves Pride, and work on safe space policies, among other collaborations and interwiki projects. Active Wikimedians are welcome to join this cause! Please consider adding your name as a participant/supporter. Current tasks include translating pages, building a strong framework here at Meta, and achieving user group status (with the eventual goal of becoming a thematic organization). Your feedback is welcome on the discussion page.

--Another Believer (talk) 17:26, 1 November 2013 (UTC)

Request for comments on Wikimedia user group logos[edit]

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee. Translations are available.

The Affiliations Committee is requesting comments on proposed best practices for Wikimedia user group logos. The committee will seek community input until Saturday, May 24, 2014. After considering the community's input, the Affiliations Committee will publish on Meta-Wiki guidelines for Wikimedia user group logos.

There is already a standard format used by chapters, and that format is being applied to thematic organizations as well. Chapters and thematic organizations have also worked with Wikimedia Foundation legal in the past on custom logos. Wikimedia user groups may also create custom logos, and the new trademark policy allows for logos to be based off the community or Wikimedia Foundation logos. However, there remains a question of the best practice for standard user group logos.

Please make any comments or ask any questions on Meta-Wiki at Affiliations Committee/RFCs/Wikimedia user group logos.

Thank you - Wikimedia Affiliations Committee

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery on 23:08, 14 May 2014 (UTC) • TranslateGet helpSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Umepedia Challenge[edit]

I am eagerly waiting for the result of Umepedia Challenge to be declared. I have checking since morning but no update. --Satdeep gill (talk) 16:55, 1 June 2014 (UTC)

Sorry for not posting in the competition log. The results are otherwise published in the Wikimedia blog. --Jan Ainali (WMSE) (talk) 11:33, 2 June 2014 (UTC)
Thanks a lot. --Satdeep gill (talk) 02:58, 4 June 2014 (UTC)

Affiliations Committee call for candidates - September 2014[edit]

The Affiliations Committee is looking for new members. The committee's work requires communication with volunteers all over the World, negotiating skills and cultural sensitivity and the ability to understand legal texts. We try to get a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members.

Members are usually selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms. The applications will be voted on by the current members not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisers, WMF staff and board liaisons based on the membership criteria. A final decision will be made by the end of October 2014, with new members expected to join on or around 1 November 2014.

Please read the full call for candidates for more information, membership criteria, and details on how to apply.

Best regards,
Carlos Colina
Chair, Affiliations Committee

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 07:46, 5 September 2014 (UTC) • TranslateGet helpSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Nominations are being accepted for 2015 Wikimedia Foundation elections[edit]

This is a message from the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee. Translations are available.

Greetings,

I am pleased to announce that nominations are now being accepted for the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections. This year the Board and the FDC Staff are looking for a diverse set of candidates from regions and projects that are traditionally under-represented on the board and in the movement as well as candidates with experience in technology, product or finance. To this end they have published letters describing what they think is needed and, recognizing that those who know the community the best are the community themselves, the election committee is accepting nominations for community members you think should run and will reach out to those nominated to provide them with information about the job and the election process.

This year, elections are being held for the following roles:

Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is the decision-making body that is ultimately responsible for the long term sustainability of the Foundation, so we value wide input into its selection. There are three positions being filled. More information about this role can be found at the board elections page.

Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC)
The Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) makes recommendations about how to allocate Wikimedia movement funds to eligible entities. There are five positions being filled. More information about this role can be found at the FDC elections page.

Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) Ombud
The FDC Ombud receives complaints and feedback about the FDC process, investigates complaints at the request of the Board of Trustees, and summarizes the investigations and feedback for the Board of Trustees on an annual basis. One position is being filled. More information about this role can be found at the FDC Ombudsperson elections page.

The candidacy submission phase lasts from 00:00 UTC April 20 to 23:59 UTC May 5 for the Board and from 00:00 UTCApril 20 to 23:59 UTC April 30 for the FDC and FDC Ombudsperson. This year, we are accepting both self-nominations and nominations of others. More information on this election and the nomination process can be found on the 2015 Wikimedia elections page on Meta-Wiki.

Please feel free to post a note about the election on your project's village pump. Any questions related to the election can be posted on the talk page on Meta, or sent to the election committee's mailing list, board-elections -at- wikimedia.org

On behalf of the Elections Committee,
-Gregory Varnum (User:Varnent)
Coordinator, 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, 04:56, 21 April 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

Requests for comments on Wikimedia user groups approval process and agreements[edit]

Affiliations Committee logo.svg

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee. Translations are available.

The Wikimedia Affiliations Committee is requesting comments on the approval process and agreements for Wikimedia user groups.

Wikimedia user groups are groups of Wikimedia users who support and promote the Wikimedia projects in the offline world by organizing meetups and other projects. The Wikimedia Affiliations Committee's responsibilities include approval of new Wikimedia user groups.

The committee will seek community input until Friday, May 1, 2015. The committee will then review the community's input, and publish the new process and agreements on Meta-Wiki. The committee will again seek community input approximately six months after any changes are adopted to gauge effectiveness and if any additional changes are necessary.

Please see the RFC page on Meta-Wiki for more information and to provide feedback.

Thank you - Wikimedia Affiliations Committee

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 04:26, 24 April 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet helpSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Wikimedia Foundation Funds Dissemination Committee elections 2015[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

This is a message from the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee. Translations are available.

Voting has begun for eligible voters in the 2015 elections for the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) and FDC Ombudsperson. Questions and discussion with the candidates for the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) and FDC Ombudsperson will continue during the voting. Nominations for the Board of Trustees will be accepted until 23:59 UTC May 5.

The Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) makes recommendations about how to allocate Wikimedia movement funds to eligible entities. There are five positions on the committee being filled.

The FDC Ombudsperson receives complaints and feedback about the FDC process, investigates complaints at the request of the Board of Trustees, and summarizes the investigations and feedback for the Board of Trustees on an annual basis. One position is being filled.

The voting phase lasts from 00:00 UTC May 3 to 23:59 UTC May 10. Click here to vote. Questions and discussion with the candidates will continue during that time. Click here to ask the FDC candidates a question. Click here to ask the FDC Ombudsperson candidates a question. More information on the candidates and the elections can be found on the 2015 FDC election page, the 2015 FDC Ombudsperson election page, and the 2015 Board election page on Meta-Wiki.

On behalf of the Elections Committee,
-Gregory Varnum (User:Varnent)
Volunteer Coordinator, 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery 03:40, 4 May 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections 2015[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation logo - vertical (2012-2016).svg

This is a message from the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee. Translations are available.

Voting has begun for eligible voters in the 2015 elections for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. Questions and discussion with the candidates for the Board will continue during the voting.

The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees is the ultimate governing authority of the Wikimedia Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization registered in the United States. The Wikimedia Foundation manages many diverse projects such as Wikipedia and Commons.

The voting phase lasts from 00:00 UTC May 17 to 23:59 UTC May 31. Click here to vote. More information on the candidates and the elections can be found on the 2015 Board election page on Meta-Wiki.

On behalf of the Elections Committee,
-Gregory Varnum (User:Varnent)
Volunteer Coordinator, 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery 17:20, 17 May 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

Introducing the Wikimedia Affiliates mailing list[edit]

Affiliations Committee logo.svg

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee. Translations are available.

The Wikimedia Affiliations Committee is pleased to introduce the launch of the Wikimedia Affiliates mailing list, which is basically a place for all the affiliates (chapters, thematic organizations, user groups) to discuss issues related to affiliates, make announcements to other affiliates, and collaborate on activities and community-wide events. The idea is to help facilitate the dialogue affiliates across our movement, plus collaborative discussions like community-wide activities, joint edit-a-thons, regional conferences, blog/report posts, or other communications from affiliates.

Each Wikimedia movement affiliate is allocated three spots on the mailing list. All affiliates may contact the Affiliations Committee to request additional spots if needed.

Please find a bit more information on Meta-Wiki and do not hesitate to contact the Affiliations Committee if you have further questions.

Thank you - Wikimedia Affiliations Committee

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 07:51, 27 October 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet helpSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Your input requested on the proposed #FreeBassel banner campaign[edit]

This is a message regarding the proposed 2015 Free Bassel banner. Translations are available.

Hi everyone,

This is to inform all Wikimedia contributors that a straw poll seeking your involvement has just been started on Meta-Wiki.

As some of your might be aware, a small group of Wikimedia volunteers have proposed a banner campaign informing Wikipedia readers about the urgent situation of our fellow Wikipedian, open source software developer and Creative Commons activist, Bassel Khartabil. An exemplary banner and an explanatory page have now been prepared, and translated into about half a dozen languages by volunteer translators.

We are seeking your involvement to decide if the global Wikimedia community approves starting a banner campaign asking Wikipedia readers to call on the Syrian government to release Bassel from prison. We understand that a campaign like this would be unprecedented in Wikipedia's history, which is why we're seeking the widest possible consensus among the community.

Given Bassel's urgent situation and the resulting tight schedule, we ask everyone to get involved with the poll and the discussion to the widest possible extent, and to promote it among your communities as soon as possible.

(Apologies for writing in English; please kindly translate this message into your own language.)

Thank you for your participation!

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery 21:46, 25 November 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

2015 Affiliations Committee call for candidates[edit]

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee. Translations are available.

Affiliations Committee logo.svg

The Affiliations Committee – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is looking for new members!

The main role of the Affiliations Committee is to guide groups of volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and advise the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees on issues connected to chapters, thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.

The committee consists of twelve members, six of whom are selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms.

Key skills

Being a part of the Affiliations Committee requires communication with volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to understand legal texts. We try to get a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members. The key skills and experience that we look for in candidates are:

  • Excitement by the challenge of helping to empower groups of volunteers worldwide.
  • Willingness to process applications through a set, perhaps bureaucratic process.
  • Readiness to participate in political discussions on the role and future of affiliates, models of affiliations, and similar questions.
  • Availability of up to 5 hours per week, and the time to participate in a monthly ~2 hour voice/video meeting.
  • International orientation.
  • Very good communication skills in English.
  • Ability to work and communicate with other languages and cultures.
  • Strong understanding of the structure and work of affiliates and the WMF.
  • Knowledge of different legal systems and experience in community building and organising are a plus.
  • Effective communication skills in other languages are a major plus.
  • Experience with or in an active affiliate is a major plus.
  • Willingness to use one's real name in committee activities (including contacts with current and potential affiliates) when appropriate.

We are looking for people who are not afraid of the workload and are motivated by helping other volunteers to get organized and form communities that further our mission around the world.

Selection process

As a reflection of our commitment to openness, transparency, and bilateral engagement with the Wikimedia community, the 2015 member selection process will include a public review and comment period. All applications received by the committee will be posted on Meta (at Affiliations Committee/Candidates/2015), and the community will be invited to provide comments and feedback about each candidate.

At the end of the public comment period, the applications will be voted on by the members of the committee who are not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisors, WMF staff and board liaisons, and the community. A final decision will be made by mid-January 2016, with new members expected to join later that month.

How to apply

If you are interested in joining the committee, please send an application to affcom@lists.wikimedia.org by 31 December 2015. You will get a confirmation that your application was received.

Your application should include the following:

  • Your full name
  • Your contact information (including e-mail address and username)
  • A statement describing your relevant experience, skills, and motivation for joining the committee.

Your statement will be published for community review and feedback, so please do not include any information that you are not comfortable sharing.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me and/or the committee as a whole. We are happy to chat or have a phone call with anyone about our work if this helps them decide to apply. Please distribute this call among your networks, and do apply if you are interested!

Best regards,
Carlos Colina
Chair, Affiliations Committee

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 16:53, 9 December 2015 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet helpSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Get involved in Wikipedia 15![edit]

This is a message from the Wikimedia Foundation. Translations are available.

International-Space-Station wordmark blue.svg

As many of you know, January 15 is Wikipedia’s 15th Birthday!

People around the world are getting involved in the celebration and have started adding their events on Meta Page. While we are celebrating Wikipedia's birthday, we hope that all projects and affiliates will be able to utilize this celebration to raise awareness of our community's efforts.

Haven’t started planning? Don’t worry, there’s lots of ways to get involved. Here are some ideas:

Everything is linked on the Wikipedia 15 Meta page. You’ll find a set of ten data visualization works that you can show at your events, and a list of all the Wikipedia 15 logos that community members have already designed.

If you have any questions, please contact Zachary McCune or Joe Sutherland.

Thanks and Happy nearly Wikipedia 15!
-The Wikimedia Foundation Communications team

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery, 20:53, 18 December 2015 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageHelp

De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance[edit]

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee. Translations are available.

Recognition as a Wikimedia affiliate - a chapter, thematic organization, or user group - is a privilege that allows an independent group to officially use the Wikimedia name to further the Wikimedia mission. While most Wikimedia affiliates adhere to the basic compliance standards set forth in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation, a protocol has been developed to address the exceptional cases when a Wikimedia affiliate does not meet basic compliance standards and their continued recognition as a Wikimedia affiliate presents a risk to the Wikimedia movement.

In the past year, the Affiliations Committee - with support from Wikimedia Foundation staff - has made a concerted effort to address a handful of chapters with long-standing issues of non-compliance. As a result, in the coming days and months, a small number of chapters that have been unable to return to compliance through their efforts in the past year will not have their chapter agreements renewed. As a consequence, these organizations will no longer have the additional rights to use the Wikimedia trademarks, including the Wikimedia name, that had been granted under those agreements.

If you have questions about what this means for community members in the affected affiliates’ region or language areas, we have put together a basic FAQ. The FAQ talk page is available for additional questions and comments, and the Affiliations Committee is happy to answer questions directly.

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 15:55, 13 February 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet helpSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Review of initial updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process[edit]

Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. Message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.

The Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. For 15 years, Wikimedians have worked together to build the largest free knowledge resource in human history. During this time, we've grown from a small group of editors to a diverse network of editors, developers, affiliates, readers, donors, and partners. Today, we are more than a group of websites. We are a movement rooted in values and a powerful vision: all knowledge for all people. As a movement, we have an opportunity to decide where we go from here.

This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve. We hope to design an inclusive process that makes space for everyone: editors, community leaders, affiliates, developers, readers, donors, technology platforms, institutional partners, and people we have yet to reach. There will be multiple ways to participate including on-wiki, in private spaces, and in-person meetings. You are warmly invited to join and make your voice heard.

The immediate goal is to have a strategic direction by Wikimania 2017 to help frame a discussion on how we work together toward that strategic direction.

Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Beginning with this message, monthly reviews of these updates will be sent to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.

Here is a review of the updates that have been sent so far:

More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, 20:27, 15 February 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet help

Overview #2 of updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process[edit]

Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.

As we mentioned last month, the Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve.

Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Each month, we are sending overviews of these updates to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.

Here is a overview of the updates that have been sent since our message last month:

More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, 19:42, 9 March 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet help

We invite you to join the movement strategy conversation (now through April 15)[edit]

05:00, 18 March 2017 (UTC)

Start of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections[edit]

Please accept our apologies for cross-posting this message. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.

Wikimedia-logo black.svg

On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, I am pleased to announce that self-nominations are being accepted for the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Elections.

The Board of Trustees (Board) is the decision-making body that is ultimately responsible for the long-term sustainability of the Wikimedia Foundation, so we value wide input into its selection. More information about this role can be found on Meta-Wiki. Please read the letter from the Board of Trustees calling for candidates.

The candidacy submission phase will last from April 7 (00:00 UTC) to April 20 (23:59 UTC).

We will also be accepting questions to ask the candidates from April 7 to April 20. You can submit your questions on Meta-Wiki.

Once the questions submission period has ended on April 20, the Elections Committee will then collate the questions for the candidates to respond to beginning on April 21.

The goal of this process is to fill the three community-selected seats on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. The election results will be used by the Board itself to select its new members.

The full schedule for the Board elections is as follows. All dates are inclusive, that is, from the beginning of the first day (UTC) to the end of the last.

  • April 7 (00:00 UTC) – April 20 (23:59 UTC) – Board nominations
  • April 7 – April 20 – Board candidates questions submission period
  • April 21 – April 30 – Board candidates answer questions
  • May 1 – May 14 – Board voting period
  • May 15–19 – Board vote checking
  • May 20 – Board result announcement goal

In addition to the Board elections, we will also soon be holding elections for the following roles:

  • Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC)
    • There are five positions being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.
  • Funds Dissemination Committee Ombudsperson (Ombuds)
    • One position is being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.

Please note that this year the Board of Trustees elections will be held before the FDC and Ombuds elections. Candidates who are not elected to the Board are explicitly permitted and encouraged to submit themselves as candidates to the FDC or Ombuds positions after the results of the Board elections are announced.

More information on this year's elections can be found on Meta-Wiki. Any questions related to the election can be posted on the election talk page on Meta-Wiki, or sent to the election committee's mailing list, board-elections(at)wikimedia.org.

On behalf of the Election Committee,
Katie Chan, Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee
Joe Sutherland, Community Advocate, Wikimedia Foundation

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, 03:35, 7 April 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet help

Voting has begun in 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections[edit]

19:02, 3 May 2017 (UTC)

Join the next cycle of Wikimedia movement strategy discussions (underway until June 12)[edit]

19:25, 16 May 2017 (UTC)

Start of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Funds Dissemination Committee elections[edit]

21:03, 23 May 2017 (UTC)

Translating Ibero-America is back! Come and join us :)[edit]

Dear Sverige ,
Hope this message finds you well!
Again this year 2017 the Iberocoop network is launching the editing contest "Translating Ibero-American" aiming to position the Ibero-american culture outside our borders :)
You can find the contest page here
We hope your community can join us!
Hugs--Anna Torres (WMAR) (talk) 20:02, 1 June 2017 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: October 2017[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 4 / Issue 14 / October 2017
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:50, 3 November 2017 (UTC)

Inviting you to participate in the women editing contest "The women you have never met"[edit]

Dear Wikimedia Sverige!

Hope this message finds you all well :) On behalf of Iberocoop network I want to invite you to be part of the women editing contest we are organizing along with many other chapters and user groups in the movement. You are doing an excellent work on your local context and we will be so pleased to have you on board. In this very early stage, we are asking the organizations to add their interest in the following meta page Hope to see you there soon! Hugs----Anna Torres (WMAR) --Anna Torres (WMAR) (talk) 15:31, 25 January 2018 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: January 2018[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 15 / January 2018
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:45, 3 November 2017 (UTC)

Share your feedback in this global Wikimedia survey[edit]

Dear Wikimedia Affiliates,
My name is María Cruz and I work for the Wikimedia Foundation on the Learning and Evaluation team. In one week or so, the Foundation is starting a global survey to learn about the experiences and feedback of Wikimedians. I am writing here, because I wanted to share with you a bit more about the project.
The survey is called "Wikimedia Communities and Contributors" and is conducted annually. We will send the survey to editors across all the Wikimedia projects, as well as Wikimedia affiliates and volunteer developers. This survey is going to be our way of making sure that we can hear feedback from a significant number of users from across the projects. This research supports editors and Wikipedia’s mission. This is our second annual CE Insights survey, and we look forward to improving it every year.
We will be contacting 2 people from each affiliate, based on the primary contact information that we have. Each affiliate will receive an additional third link which they can distribute to any leader in their chapter or user group.
Go to the project page to see the results of last year’s survey, and to see how your feedback helps the Wikimedia Foundation support communities. You can sign up to be notified about the results of the survey, or to learn how you can help with planning the survey next year.
If you have any questions or concerns about this project, please feel free to send them to Edward Galvez's talk page on Meta-Wiki or email him directly at surveys@wikimedia · org in any language. You can learn more about this project and read about frequently asked questions. You can also share your feedback on Meta-Wiki.

Thank you for your time supporting this project!
María Cruz


MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:42, 19 March 2018 (UTC)

Notification of Past Due Chapter Reporting[edit]

Greetings

This is a notification to bring to your attention that your organization is currently past due on its required annual reporting. Chapters and thematic organizations are required to submit 2 reports each year: an activity report and a financial statement covering all accounts and all incoming and outgoing expenses. Both reports must cover the entirety of the 12-month annual period and must be written in English, posted to meta, and linked on the meta Reports page.

This page is used to track how organizations and groups are meeting reporting requirements described in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation (e.g. chapter agreements, thematic organization agreements, user group agreements). It is the central place where affiliates can add reports about their activities, share their plans, and even news or social media channels with the wider movement. When new reports are available, organizations and groups should add them to this page to keep their columns up to date.

Annual reporting is due no later than 4 months following the end of an organization's fiscal year.

As noted on the meta reports page, your organization’s 2016-2017 annual activities and financial reporting became past due in APRIL.

Please be sure to:

  1. Post your 2016-2017 annual activities and financial reporting to the meta Reports page as soon as possible to return to compliance with your chapter agreement.
  2. Check that your groups reports page listing is also up to date for historical record-keeping, and
  3. Please send an email to Wikimedia-l in order to share with a movement-wide audience.

If you have any questions or need any further guidance, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Best regards, DNdubane (WMF) (talk) 22:40, 6 June 2018 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: June 2018[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 16 / June 2018
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:45, 3 November 2017 (UTC)

Registration for CEE Meeting 2018: less than a week left![edit]

Dear @Historiker:, @Boberger: and Swedish colleagues,

We would like to remind you that the registration for CEE Meeting 2018 is closing on 10 August.

Wikimedia CEE Meeting (Wikimedia Central and Eastern Europe Meeting) is an annual meeting of Wikimedians of the region. This year it will be hosted in Lviv, Ukraine, from 13 to 15 October 2018. The event page is here : Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2018

Our conference budget allows to fund two people from Wikimedia Sverige (full package with travel, accommodation, meals and other fees). In addition, you can delegate more people, but their costs will have to be covered by your chapter. The registration page is here : Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2018/Participants

Could you please confirm that you are working on selection of participants from your chapter and that you will be able to register them by 10 August?

We are looking forward to seeing representatives of your chapter in Lviv!

Best regards, on behalf of CEE meeting 2018 team — NickK (talk) 23:06, 5 August 2018 (UTC)

@NickK: We are doing some last minute work on this, and are working on registering two participants today. /Axel Pettersson (WMSE) (talk) 10:19, 10 August 2018 (UTC)