|Oxford 64||19 August|
|Bristol 3||1 September|
|London 134||9 September|
|London 133||12 August|
|Warsaw 21||28 July|
|Changsha 1||28 July|
|Oxford 63||15 July|
|Edinburgh 13||11 July|
|China 1||1-11 July|
|Karnal 2||9 July|
|Kunming 1||1 July|
|Hong Kong 117||30 June|
|Cambridge 37||29 April|
|list of regular meetups|
|London · Hong Kong|
London Wikimedia Meetup Number 41
Date and time: Sunday 9 January — 13:00 onwards
Location: Penderel's Oak pub, Holborn, London WC1
Add your name to this list if you can make it to our forty-first meeting. Note that people of all ages and all Wikimedia projects are welcome!
We need to decide whether to stick to our usual second Sunday of the month or to shift for this occasion to the 15th as this would be Wikipedia's tenth birthday. Please indicate which date you can make and we will make a decision by the end of the previous meeting.
James Forrester and Ironholds carry the day for this being on the 9th
Please also invite any London Wikimedia people you know (or have had wiki dealings with) – spread the word!
- WereSpielChequers: either date is OK by me.
- Harrypotter: either date is OK by me.
- The 9th. There is already celebratory stuff going on on the 15th, the 15th is a saturday, meaning people are less likely to be free, and people have in some cases already arranged their visit for the 9th. I'm also not here on the 15thIronholds 09:31, 13 December 2010 (UTC)
- Either date is fine for me, but I'd need to know which fairly soon. HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 23:47, 13 December 2010 (UTC)
- Depending on the weather! Fences and windows 15:30, 27 December 2010 (UTC)
- Always and forever Panyd 22:09, 2 January 2011 (UTC)
- I actually wouldn't mind coming, but sadly I've got to be away. Maybe the following month. Have fun! Wikidea 02:11, 3 January 2011 (UTC)
- I'll be there! vinnypatel
- Hopefully can make it, thanks for the invite. Matt-rex 10:22, 4 January 2011 (UTC)
- Gordo 18:49, 5 January 2011 (UTC)
- DarTar 11:28, 7 January 2011 (UTC)
- Couldn't make it last time, though I had confirmed. Will definitely try to make it possible this time.DhavalTalk 13:00, 7 January 2011 (UTC) 12:55, 7 January 2011 (UTC)
- If I can make it on the day, I'll be there. AdamBMorgan 13:52, 7 January 2011 (UTC)
- Should be there. Johnbod 17:38, 8 January 2011 (UTC)
- I will come. Natkabrown 09:25, 9 January 2011 (UTC)
- I was there. Carcharoth 20:16, 9 January 2011 (UTC)
Informal chitchat with no set agenda. We usually have some experienced users and some laptops around so if you want a ten minute lesson in creating tables doing history merges or you just have a question on copyright this is a good venue (but please don't start discussions on copyright until enough people have arrived for a non-copyright conversation to run in parallel).
If you have some ideas for discussion topics, please put them below.
About the meetup
London meetups are generally casual social events where we...
- Drink coffee, beer, tea and some of us have Sunday brunch. Sunday roasts are no longer offered but they do a reasonable pizza now and have a range of other snacks and dishes.
- Welcome guests from around the world and other groups which meet there
- Chat about Wikimedia or any other topics
- Experienced Wikimedians help out new editors and share experiences about anything from copyright to editing tools.
You can expect to meet some very keen Wikimedians; however, this is also an open invite for anyone interested in finding out more about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects such as Wikimedia Commons, Wikiversity and WikiSource.
New and prospective editors are also very welcome.
The pub is quite quiet and family-friendly on a Sunday lunchtime, so younger Wikimedians will also feel welcome and safe. Alcohol consumption is not compulsory!
The pub has an accessible loo on the ground floor. There are some sections of the pub that are only accessible by steps, but we always meet in the main step free section, usually opposite the main doors.
Location: Penderel's Oak
It's easy to find us – we're usually the crowd with several laptops on the large tables straight ahead of you when you enter the pub. If not, then look for a tabletop Wikimedia UK banner and laptops with Wikipedia stickers on them. Wikimania Tshirts can also be a good clue.
||Chancery Lane||0.2 miles|
The Penderel's Oak is between Holborn tube station and Chancery Lane tube station. Farringdon tube station is not too far, nor is City Thameslink (0.6 miles), albeit this station is closed on Sundays. The pub is also within walking distance of Waterloo railway station (1.3 miles), St Pancras railway station (1.2 miles) and Kings Cross.
Several bus routes also go directly to Holborn station; if travelling from Waterloo, it is quicker to travel by bus than by tube.
Bike hire (TfL scheme) is in Red Lion Street, just opposite the pub.
Visit the TfL Journey Planner for more information about your fastest route.
In the rare event of a kitchen closure or another problem at the Penderel's Oak, the meetup will be relocated to the Shakespeare's Head – another Wetherspoons pub located nearby. To get there from the Penderel's Oak, when exiting onto the street turn left, then when walking past Holborn tube station turn left again down Kingsway, and after a short walk the pub will be found on the left-hand side.