|London 165 (virtual)||14 February|
|London 164 (virtual)||24 January|
|wikiBlind & wikiKind adventures in wikiWonderland (virtual)||15 January 2021|
|Beijing 19||1 January|
|London 163 (virtual)||10 January|
|South Africa 6 (virtual)||31 October|
|Hong Kong 126 (virtual)||27 September|
|UK 1 (virtual)||16 May|
|Oxford 81||15 March|
|Kaduna 2020||29 February|
|New York City||18 December|
|Cambridge 42||14 December|
|Shenyang 3||13 September|
|list of regular meetups|
|London · Hong Kong|
Oxford Wikimedia Meetup Number 66
Date and time: Sunday 21 October 2018. 1.00 pm onwards.
Location: The Four Candles, 51 George Street, Oxford, OX1 2BE.
Add your name to this list – by adding the line
(a hash and four tildes) – if you can make it to our sixty-sixth meeting. Note that people of all ages and all Wikimedia projects are welcome!
Please also invite any Oxford Wikimedia people you know (or have had wiki dealings with) – spread the word!
- Redrose64 (talk; at English Wikipedia) 20:35, 30 September 2018 (UTC)
- Will be bringing Yellowrose63, so @Iridescent: I cannot promise to be there exactly on 13:00. I'll bring the WMUK banner. --Redrose64 (talk; at English Wikipedia) 09:11, 21 October 2018 (UTC)
- Hopefully. A ground floor table (unless there is a lift, I can't remember) would be very significantly preferable. Thryduulf (talk: meta · en.wp · wikidata) 16:57, 3 October 2018 (UTC)
- Possibly, as I'll be in Witney in the morning so depends on when I come free.Iridescent (talk) 19:37, 20 October 2018 (UTC)
- Sorry, I'll be abroad. Maproom (talk) 14:03, 5 October 2018 (UTC)
- Conflicts with a child's birthday party. ^-^ Mvolz (talk) 10:47, 9 October 2018 (UTC)
Informal chitchat with no set agenda.
If you have some ideas for discussion topics, please put them below.
About the meet up
A social gathering for Wikimedia enthusiasts, where we...
- Drink coffee and/or beer and some of us have Sunday lunch.
- Chat about Wikipedia and any other topics we fancy.
- Exchange books, maps and other source materials.
Mainly a casual social event. You can expect to meet some very keen Wikipedians; however, this is also an open invitation to anyone interested in finding out more about Wikipedia, other Wikimedia projects, projects re-using Wikipedia, and other collaborative wiki projects. Feel free to come along and raise these discussions over a beer. Alcohol consumption is optional.
How to spot us
It's usually easy to find us, look for anyone with a laptop out or a Wikipedia T-shirt, lapel badge or similar. We aim to secure one of the two bench seats behind the stairs, but failing that we'll probably be at one of the high tables between the stairs and the entrance. Bear in mind that we could be upstairs.
George Street is in the centre of Oxford not far from the station and very close to the bus station and (for millionaires) the Worcester Street car park.
The nearest railway station is Oxford (10 minutes walk) with frequent services from various places including: Banbury; Birmingham New Street; Didcot; London Marylebone; London Paddington; Reading; Southampton Central; and Worcester Shrub Hill.
Express coach services also run from Victoria and other points in London to central Oxford, on the "Oxford Tube". Stay on the coach all the way to Gloucester Green, it's just across the road from The Four Candles, which you can see out of the right-hand side of the coach just as it turns into Chain Alley/Gloucester Green.
There are Park-and-Ride car parks at points around the Oxford Ring Road, served by buses along main roads into the centre, on routes 300 (Redbridge - City Centre - Pear Tree), 400 (Seacourt - City Centre - Thornhill) and 500 (Woodstock - Oxford Parkway - City Centre). The nearest stops are:
- A5 on George Street (Route 300 inwards from Pear Tree and outwards to Redbridge; route 500 inwards from Oxford Parkway), which is almost outside the front door
- B1 on George Street (Route 300 inwards from Redbridge and outwards to Pear Tree; route 500 outwards to Oxford Parkway), which is right opposite
- D1 on Park End Street (Route 400 inwards from Seacourt, outwards to Thornhill)
- D5 on Park End Street (Route 400 inwards from Thornhill, outwards to Seacourt)
- E5 on Castle Street (Route 400 inwards from Thornhill, outwards to Seacourt)
- M3 on Castle Street (Route 400 inwards from Seacourt, outwards to Thornhill)
Stop B1 is also served by buses from Oxford railway station: route 7 from stop R5; routes 14/14A from stop R4, and route 500 from stop R1. The same routes operate back to the railway station from stop A5.
On Sundays there is free car-parking in some streets about 1 mile from the centre, and for few pounds, a little further in. You may need to hunt for a space. Car-parking in town is almost prohibitive for any significant length of time.