|Perth 73||23 July|
|London 182||10 July|
|UK virtual 13||23 June|
|London 181||12 June|
|UK virtual 12||26 May|
|London 180||8 May|
|Hong Kong 129 (WikiCafe HK #1)||19 December|
|Cambridge 44 (Wikimania)||14 August|
|wikiBlind & wikiKind
|Beijing 19||1 January|
|List of regular meetups|
|London · Hong Kong|
Oxford Wikimedia Meetup Number 53
Date and time: Sunday 20 August 2017. 1.00 pm onwards.
Location: The Four Candles, 51 George Street, Oxford, OX1 2BE.
Add your name to this list if you can make it to our fifty-second meeting. Note that people of all ages and all Wikimedia projects are welcome!
Please also invite any Oxford Wikimedia people you know (or have had wiki dealings with) – spread the word!
- Redrose64 (talk; at English Wikipedia) 19:27, 23 July 2017 (UTC)
- Thryduulf (talk: meta · en.wp · wikidata) 20:04, 23 July 2017 (UTC)
- Pintoch (talk) 12:51, 29 July 2017 (UTC)
- Maproom (talk) 10:53, 16 August 2017 (UTC)
- whispyhistory (talk) relatively new and hope ok if I can join in.Whispyhistory (talk) 07:48, 20 August 2017 (UTC)
Informal chitchat with no set agenda.
If you have some ideas for discussion topics, please put them below.
- I am submitting a proposal for a session about Wikidata at the Mozilla Festival. Does anybody want to join? − Pintoch (talk) 12:51, 29 July 2017 (UTC)
- @Redrose64: Should we try to advertise the meeetup a bit more? I think we could easily get more people to come and introduce them to the Wikimedia universe. For instance on Meetup.com? I am happy to create a group there. − Pintoch (talk) 12:46, 3 August 2017 (UTC)
- @Pintoch: I don't see that that would harm at all. Thryduulf (talk: meta · en.wp · wikidata) 01:34, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- @Pintoch: I wasn't notified by . I don't know why not. --Redrose64 (talk; at English Wikipedia) 20:11, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- @Thryduulf and Redrose64: Weird… Unfortunately I found out that it costs £10 a month to host a meetup on Meetup.com - I find that really unacceptable (especially because they hide that as much as they can), so I will not use this platform. I am considering using Facebook but am quite reluctant… − Pintoch (talk) 09:07, 11 August 2017 (UTC)
About the meet up
A social gathering for Wikimedia enthusiasts, where we...
- Drink coffee and/or beer and some of us have Sunday lunch.
- Chat about Wikipedia and any other topics we fancy.
- Exchange books, maps and other source materials.
Mainly a casual social event. You can expect to meet some very keen Wikipedians; however, this is also an open invitation to anyone interested in finding out more about Wikipedia, other Wikimedia projects, projects re-using Wikipedia, and other collaborative wiki projects. Feel free to come along and raise these discussions over a beer. Alcohol consumption is optional.
How to spot us
It's usually easy to find us, look for anyone with a laptop out or a Wikipedia T-shirt, lapel badge or similar. We aim to secure one of the two bench seats behind the stairs, but failing that we'll probably be at one of the high tables between the stairs and the entrance. Bear in mind that we could be upstairs.
George Street is in the centre of Oxford not far from the station and very close to the bus station and (for millionaires) the Worcester Street car park.
The nearest railway station is Oxford (10 minutes walk) with frequent services from various places including: Banbury; Birmingham New Street; Didcot; London Marylebone; London Paddington; Reading; Southampton Central; and Worcester Shrub Hill.
Express coach services also run from Victoria and other points in London to central Oxford, on the "Oxford Tube". Stay on the coach all the way to Gloucester Green, it's just across the road from The Four Candles, which you can see out of the right-hand side of the coach just as it turns into Chain Alley/Gloucester Green.
There are Park-and-Ride car parks at points around the Oxford Ring Road, served by buses along main roads into the centre, on routes 300 (Redbridge - City Centre - Pear Tree), 400 (Seacourt - City Centre - Thornhill) and 500 (Woodstock - Oxford Parkway - City Centre). The nearest stops are:
- A5 on George Street (Route 300 inwards from Pear Tree and outwards to Redbridge; route 500 inwards from Oxford Parkway), which is almost outside the front door
- B1 on George Street (Route 300 inwards from Redbridge and outwards to Pear Tree; route 500 outwards to Oxford Parkway), which is right opposite
- D1 on Park End Street (Route 400 inwards from Seacourt, outwards to Thornhill)
- D5 on Park End Street (Route 400 inwards from Thornhill, outwards to Seacourt)
- E5 on Castle Street (Route 400 inwards from Thornhill, outwards to Seacourt)
- M3 on Castle Street (Route 400 inwards from Seacourt, outwards to Thornhill)
Stop B1 is also served by buses from Oxford railway station: route 7 from stop R5; routes 14/14A from stop R4, and route 500 from stop R1. The same routes operate back to the railway station from stop A5.
On Sundays there is free car-parking in some streets about 1 mile from the centre, and for few pounds, a little further in. You may need to hunt for a space. Car-parking in town is almost prohibitive for any significant length of time.