|London 193||11 June|
|Oxford 89||21 May|
|London 192||14 May|
|UK virtual 18||26 April|
|Portsmouth 3||23 April|
|Meetups at ESEAP Conference 2022||18-20 November|
|WikiConference North America||11-13 November|
|Wikimania in-person events||11–14 August|
|Perth 73||23 July|
|Hong Kong 129 (WikiCafe HK #1)||19 December|
|List of regular meetups|
|London · Hong Kong|
London Wikimedia Meetup Number 183
Date and time: Sunday 14 August 2022 — 13:00 onwards
(join at any time you can, no need to stay for the whole afternoon)
Location: Penderel's Oak Pub, Holborn, London WC1
A social gathering for Wikimedia enthusiasts, where we...
- Drink coffee and/or beer and some of us have Sunday lunch.
- Chat about Wikipedia and any other topics we fancy.
- Exchange books, maps and other source materials.
Mainly a casual social event. You can expect to meet some very keen Wikipedians; however, this is also an open invitation to anyone interested in finding out more about Wikipedia, other Wikimedia projects, projects re-using Wikipedia, and other collaborative wiki projects. Feel free to come along and raise these discussions over a beer. Alcohol consumption is optional.
People of all ages and all Wikimedia projects are welcome. Complete newbies also welcome!
Please also invite any London Wikimedia people you know (or have had wiki dealings with) – spread the word!
Add your name to the list by adding an asterisk and four tildes like this: * ~~~~
- Philafrenzy (talk) 20:43, 10 July 2022 (UTC)
- WereSpielChequers (talk) 08:59, 14 July 2022 (UTC)
- Katie Crampton (talk) 12:06, 25 July 2022 (UTC)
- ClemRutter (talk) 07:42, 9 August 2022 (UTC)
- Whispyhistory (talk) 12:14, 12 August 2022 (UTC)
- I see that this is now an official part of Wikimania. I've been attending Wikimania 2022 in a variety of ways ― pheed, zoom, email and the other London venue ― and so must do this too to compare and contrast the effectiveness of the different modes. The main technological improvement I'm noticing so far is the Elizabeth Line which makes getting to Liverpool Street very pleasant and easy. But the central section still doesn't run on Sunday, alas. Andrew D. (talk) 16:40, 13 August 2022 (UTC)
- Edwardx (talk) 09:04, 14 August 2022 (UTC)
- Indexum (talk) 09:06, 14 August 2022 (UTC)
May be attending
- Need to look at trains. Dreamy Jazz talk to me | enwiki 11:38, 14 July 2022 (UTC)
- It's possible, but may be too expensive to travel down due to needing to stay in hotels. Dreamy Jazz talk to me | enwiki 11:45, 14 July 2022 (UTC)
- "Need to look at trains". Here you go, lots of them here :-) Ritchie333 (talk) 22:11, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
- Esma Gjertsen
- Think I may actually be free this month. Joseph2302 (talk) 16:38, 22 July 2022 (UTC)
- Deryck C. 13:28, 3 August 2022 (UTC)
- Passing through London with the mrs on our travels. We might be able to call in to say hello. HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 09:15, 10 August 2022 (UTC)
Interested but not attending
- I'll be in Dorset. Thryduulf (talk: meta · en.wp · wikidata) 20:57, 21 July 2022 (UTC)
- Have a good time everybody. -- Malcolmxl5 (talk) 13:02, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
I would come but i live too far away *UnnamedWasTaken (talk) 17:38, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
- I'll be boating on the River Stour. Ritchie333 (talk) 22:01, 11 August 2022 (UTC)
- Can't - but all the best. Johnbod (talk) 01:33, 14 August 2022 (UTC)
- I have to bail on this, I can't find any trains from Didcot to London. There are some coming back, apparently. --Redrose64 (talk; at English Wikipedia) 10:27, 14 August 2022 (UTC)
- Blocked by missus for attending Bethnal Green on Friday and not getting back till late! My alt might be in trouble for mismodeling polychromatic bricks on wikidata as I am trying to self-debate whether P149 or Q784969 trying to link Q2651004 to Q2377845 but I think I being to see the dimensional mismatch problem. Best wishes. Djm-leighpark (talk) 12:22, 14 August 2022 (UTC)
About the meetup
London meetups are generally casual social events where we...
- Drink coffee, beer, tea and some of us have Sunday brunch. Sunday roasts are no longer offered but they do a reasonable pizza now and have a range of other snacks and dishes.
- Welcome guests from around the world and other groups which meet there
- Chat about Wikimedia or any other topics
- Experienced Wikimedians help out new editors and share experiences about anything from copyright to editing tools.
You can expect to meet some very keen Wikimedians; however, this is also an open invite for anyone interested in finding out more about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects such as Wikimedia Commons, Wikiversity and WikiSource.
New and prospective editors are also very welcome.
The pub is quite quiet and family-friendly on a Sunday lunchtime, so younger Wikimedians will also feel welcome and safe. Alcohol consumption is not compulsory!
The pub has an accessible loo on the ground floor. There are some sections of the pub that are only accessible by steps, but we always meet in the main step free section, usually opposite the main doors.
Location: Penderel's Oak
The Penderel's Oak is a Wetherspoons pub in Holborn.
Address: 283-288 High Holborn, London, WC1V 7HP (OSM) (GMap)
It's easy to find us – we're usually the crowd with several laptops on the large tables straight ahead of you when you enter the pub. If not, then look for a tabletop Wikimedia UK banner and laptops with Wikipedia stickers on them. Wikimania Tshirts can also be a good clue.
||Chancery Lane||0.2 miles
The Penderel's Oak is between Holborn tube station and Chancery Lane tube station. Farringdon tube and Thameslink station is not too far. The pub is also within walking distance of Waterloo railway station (1.3 miles; 2 km), St Pancras railway station (1.2 miles; 1.9 km) and Kings Cross.
Several bus routes also go directly to Holborn station; if travelling from Waterloo, it is quicker to travel by bus than by tube.
Bike hire (TfL scheme) is in Red Lion Street, just opposite the pub.
Visit the TfL Journey Planner for more information about your fastest route.
In the rare event of a kitchen closure or another problem at the Penderel's Oak, the meetup will be relocated to the Shakespeare's Head – another Wetherspoons pub located nearby. To get there from the Penderel's Oak, when exiting onto the street turn left, then when walking past Holborn tube station turn left again down Kingsway, and after a short walk the pub will be found on the left-hand side.