|UK virtual 17||29 March|
|London 191||2 April|
|Portsmouth 3||23 April|
|Oxford 87||19 March|
|London 190||12 March|
|UK virtual 16||1 March|
|Meetups at ESEAP Conference 2022||18-20 November|
|WikiConference North America||11-13 November|
|Wikimania in-person events||11–14 August|
|Perth 73||23 July|
|Hong Kong 129 (WikiCafe HK #1)||19 December|
|List of regular meetups|
|London · Hong Kong|
London Wikimedia Meetup Number 188
Date and time: Sunday 8 January 2023 — 13:00 onwards
(join at any time you can, no need to stay for the whole afternoon)
Location: Penderel's Oak Pub, Holborn, London WC1
A social gathering for Wikimedia enthusiasts, where we...
- Drink coffee and/or beer and some of us have Sunday lunch.
- Chat about Wikipedia and any other topics we fancy.
- Exchange books, maps and other source materials.
Mainly a casual social event. You can expect to meet some very keen Wikipedians; however, this is also an open invitation to anyone interested in finding out more about Wikipedia, other Wikimedia projects, projects re-using Wikipedia, and other collaborative wiki projects. Feel free to come along and raise these discussions over a beer. Alcohol consumption is optional.
People of all ages and all Wikimedia projects are welcome. Complete newbies also welcome!
Please also invite any London Wikimedia people you know (or have had wiki dealings with) – spread the word!
Add your name to the list by adding an asterisk and four tildes like this: * ~~~~
- Mccapra (talk) 22:42, 27 December 2022 (UTC) ***Bah! Missed it!
- Edwardx (talk) 19:01, 31 December 2022 (UTC)
- Geni (talk) 18:25, 7 January 2023 (UTC)
- ClemRutter (talk) 19:38, 7 January 2023 (UTC)
- Broichmore (talk) 11:50, 8 January 2023 (UTC)
May be attending
- I'll be there if I can. HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 12:56, 1 January 2023 (UTC)
- I think I can make this one. Joseph2302 (talk) 22:57, 1 January 2023 (UTC)
- The BBC adaptation of His Dark Materials recently concluded and much of that is set in Oxford. As a bit of fun, I suggested that each attendee at the forthcoming Oxford meetup bring their Dæmon, interpreting that as they please. I may do a dry-run at the London meetup and others might want to try it too. (later) But the weather is quite miserable and it hasn't stopped raining so I'm inclined to stay in and do some housework instead. Let's try again at Oxford next Sunday... Andrew D. (talk) 14:05, 8 January 2023 (UTC)
Interested but not attending
- the wub "?!" 17:32, 31 December 2022 (UTC)
- Probably too much other RL. stuff to justify. -- User:Djm-leighpark(a)talk 13:41, 1 January 2023 (UTC)
- Thryduulf (talk: meta · en.wp · wikidata) 21:05, 2 January 2023 (UTC)
- Philafrenzy (talk) 23:14, 22 December 2022 (UTC)
About the meetup
London meetups are generally casual social events where we...
- Drink coffee, beer, tea and some of us have Sunday brunch. Sunday roasts are no longer offered but they do a reasonable pizza now and have a range of other snacks and dishes.
- Welcome guests from around the world and other groups which meet there
- Chat about Wikimedia or any other topics
- Experienced Wikimedians help out new editors and share experiences about anything from copyright to editing tools.
You can expect to meet some very keen Wikimedians; however, this is also an open invite for anyone interested in finding out more about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects such as Wikimedia Commons, Wikiversity and WikiSource.
New and prospective editors are also very welcome.
The pub is quite quiet and family-friendly on a Sunday lunchtime, so younger Wikimedians will also feel welcome and safe. Alcohol consumption is not compulsory!
The pub has an accessible loo on the ground floor. There are some sections of the pub that are only accessible by steps, but we always meet in the main step free section, usually opposite the main doors.
Location: Penderel's Oak
The Penderel's Oak is a Wetherspoons pub in Holborn.
Address: 283-288 High Holborn, London, WC1V 7HP (OSM) (GMap)
It's easy to find us – we're usually the crowd with several laptops on the large tables straight ahead of you when you enter the pub. If not, then look for a tabletop Wikimedia UK banner and laptops with Wikipedia stickers on them. Wikimania Tshirts can also be a good clue.
||Chancery Lane||0.2 miles
The Penderel's Oak is between Holborn tube station and Chancery Lane tube station. Farringdon tube and Thameslink station is not too far. The pub is also within walking distance of Waterloo railway station (1.3 miles; 2 km), St Pancras railway station (1.2 miles; 1.9 km) and Kings Cross.
Several bus routes also go directly to Holborn station; if travelling from Waterloo, it is quicker to travel by bus than by tube.
Bike hire (TfL scheme) is in Red Lion Street, just opposite the pub.
Visit the TfL Journey Planner for more information about your fastest route.
In the rare event of a kitchen closure or another problem at the Penderel's Oak, the meetup will be relocated to the Shakespeare's Head – another Wetherspoons pub located nearby. To get there from the Penderel's Oak, when exiting onto the street turn left, then when walking past Holborn tube station turn left again down Kingsway, and after a short walk the pub will be found on the left-hand side.