Meetup/English South Coast 1
|Oxford 71||28 April|
|Beijing 16||1 May|
|London 142||12 May|
|Manchester 36||9 June|
|London 141||14 April|
|Igbo Wikimedians User Group/5||13 April|
|Oxford 70||17 March|
|WikiGap 2019 Hong Kong||8 March|
|Cambridge 40||3 March|
|London Wikidata 1||19 February|
|Bristol 3||1 Sep 2018|
|Warsaw 21||28 Jul 2018|
|Changsha 1||28 Jul 2018|
|Edinburgh 13||11 Jul 2018|
|list of regular meetups|
|London · Hong Kong|
Date and time: Sunday 23rd November 2014 — 12:30 onwards
Location: The Wagon Works Pub, 28 Southampton Road, Eastleigh, Hampshire SO50 9FJ
Includes a 'behind the scenes' tour of Eastleigh's railway works 14:00 - 15:00 hrs
|— Jimmy Wales (2004)|
We have been very fortunate that Eastleigh Works.of Arlington Fleet Services has been so kind as to offer us a free tour of the historic
The tour will start at 14:00 hrs and is limited to 20 persons.
For those wishing to come, we will be departing from The Wagon Works pub at 13:45.
If you wish to have lunch at the pub beforehand, we would advise arriving at the pub at about 12:30 to give enough time to finish your meal without rushing.
The tour should last approximately one hour, but could overrun.
All going well, we will meet back at the pub at about 15:30.
Please add your name to this list if you can make it to the meetup (it helps us calculate how many tables & chairs we will need).
Note that people of all ages are welcome!
Please also invite any people you know who may be interested in coming – spread the word...
- Marek.69 talk 07842 113330
- Kim Hawker
- Geni (talk) 16:52, 25 October 2014 (UTC)
- Pedro - as I live within walking distance it would be rude not to! Put me down as a definite. 23:11, 31 October 2014 (UTC)
- Fabian Tompsett (WMUK) (talk) 10:40, 4 November 2014 (UTC)
- talk) 01:32, 17 November 2014 (UTC) (
- Train tickets booked. Much cheaper than London! CT Cooper · talk 16:23, 18 November 2014 (UTC)
- Nigel Gould
- Mike Webster
- Not hugely likely but will drop in if I can. Waggers (talk) 22:50, 15 November 2014 (UTC)
- the wub "?!" 23:03, 5 November 2014 (UTC)
- Would love to, but no guarantees. HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 22:18, 7 November 2014 (UTC)
- Just moved to Southampton, so would be good to say hello. But depends on what else is happening. SilkTork (talk) 13:06, 13 November 2014 (UTC)
- Would like to go. Never been to a meetup before. Jaguar (talk) 13:41, 13 November 2014 (UTC)
- Sorry can't make it but thanks for the invite anyway.Richard Nowell (talk) 15:11, 25 October 2014 (UTC)
- Thank you for the kind invitation, but alas I won't be joining you. Edwardx (talk) 16:55, 7 November 2014 (UTC)+1
- On 23 November I'm helping to operate the layout "Millanford" at Warley National 2014. --Redrose64 (talk; at English Wikipedia) 14:02, 19 November 2014 (UTC)
- While I'd love to come for a depot tour, I'm afraid I'm heading to Bristol this weekend. Another time perhaps. -mattbuck (Talk) 20:58, 19 November 2014 (UTC)
- Unfortunely I'm committed to something in Warwickshire that day (I could have done with being in at least four places at once on the 23rd!). Thryduulf (en.wikt,en.wp,commons) 01:24, 20 November 2014 (UTC)
- Pity as I'm quite local and recognise a few names here, but it's the final F1 race of the season, so I'm otherwise engaged. Next time though. Ranger Steve (talk) 15:03, 21 November 2014 (UTC)
- Gordo (talk) 17:01, 21 November 2014 (UTC)
- Derek Doling
About the meetup
- Casual chat, maybe with a focus on improving local articles. Members of local history society may be joining us.
- History of Eastleigh
- 12:30 We will be meeting up at the pub at 12:30. I have moved the time back by 30 minutes in order to beat the lunchtime rush for food and to give people time to have lunch + drink in time to go to the tour
- 13:45 (for those who wish to attend) leave pub and walk to Eastleigh Railway Works
- 14:00 - 15:00 Tour of the Victorian railway carriage and wagon works.
- 15:15 - 15:30 We will be back at the pub for further discussion, edit/create local articles.
For those available to stay, the meetup will continue 'till late.
Location: The Wagon Works, Eastleigh
" When Eastleigh station was built in 1839, modern Eastleigh did not exist. It was then the small rural hamlet of Barton. At that time the combined population of Barton and nearby Eastley was fewer than 80 people. The new station, built by the London and South Western Railway at Barton was named Bishopstoke Junction, after the nearest village. In 1868 the villages of Barton and Eastley were combined into one parish. In 1891 the London and South Western Railway moved the Carriage and Wagon Works from Nine Elms in London to the area surrounding the station, creating the new Eastleigh Works; and at the same time relocating the railway workers and their families from London to the newly-constructed town. This was eventually renamed 'Eastleigh' in 1923. For more than 160 years, the pub on this site (formerly The Home Tavern) has been the first building seen by anyone arriving by train at Eastleigh station."
Southampton Airport (SOU), the 20th largest airport in the UK, is located in Eastleigh. Southampton Airport is served by a dedicated mainline railway station, Southampton Airport Parkway, which is the next station stop (5 minutes) from Eastleigh railway station.
Eastleigh is served by Eastleigh railway station, a mainline station on the South Western Main Line from London Waterloo (just 103 minutes away) and Winchester to Southampton, Bournemouth and Poole, with a fast and frequent service to those places. It is also the junction station for two other routes, the Eastleigh-Fareham Line and the Eastleigh-Romsey Line.
There is a taxi rank outside the railway station and outside Sainsburys supermarket/Blueline bus station (5 minutes)
- Pub is about 1.4 miles from Lakeside Country Park and Eastleigh Lakeside Railway.Geni (talk) 07:06, 21 October 2014 (UTC)
- Mini editathon on local history, places, etc.
- Eastleigh Railway Works
- Eastleigh Railway Preservation Society
- Gordon Keeble cars
- Gordon Keeble cars
- History of the Home Tavern pub, Eastleigh
- any other suggestions?