|London 196||10 September|
|Bristol 4||16 September|
|Oxford 93||17 September|
|Bangkok 3||26 August|
|Oxford 92||20 August|
|Wikimania 2023 Singapore||16-19 August|
|London 195||13 August|
|Cambridge 46||18 June|
|UK virtual 18||26 April|
|Portsmouth 3||23 April|
|ESEAP Conference 2022||18-20 November|
|WikiConference North America||11-13 November|
|List of regular meetups|
|London · Hong Kong|
Date and time: Sunday 11 June 2023 — 13:00 onwards
(join at any time you can, no need to stay for the whole afternoon)
Location: Penderel's Oak Pub, Holborn, London WC1
Location map (click to enlarge)
Penderel's Oak, High Holborn
Wikipedians taking the air
A social gathering for Wikimedia enthusiasts, where we...
- Drink coffee or beer and some of us have Sunday lunch.
- Chat about Wikipedia and any other topics we fancy.
- Exchange books, maps and other source materials.
Mainly a casual social event. You can expect to meet some very keen Wikipedians; however, this is also an open invitation to anyone interested in finding out more about Wikipedia, other Wikimedia projects, projects re-using Wikipedia, and other collaborative wiki projects. Feel free to come along and raise these discussions over a beer. Alcohol consumption is optional.
People of all ages and all Wikimedia projects are welcome. Complete newbies also welcome!
Please also invite any London Wikimedia people you know (or have had wiki dealings with) – spread the word!
Topics and events
- The nearby Hunterian Museum has just re-opened after a revamp if anyone fancies a visit. Not for the squeamish! the wub "?!" 08:40, 22 May 2023 (UTC)
- I am (almost certainly) not attending but suggest people may wish (or may not wish) to examine the lead section and sourcing of q:2020s anti-transgender movement in the United Kingdom which does not have a directly equivalent article on the English Wikipedia. Thankyou. -- DeirgeDel tac 10:02, 8 June 2023 (UTC)
Add your name to the list by adding an asterisk and four tildes like this: * ~~~~
- the wub "?!" 22:26, 21 May 2023 (UTC)
- Edwardx (talk) 09:14, 24 May 2023 (UTC)
- WereSpielChequers (talk) 18:36, 29 May 2023 (UTC)
- Whispyhistory (talk) 20:03, 6 June 2023 (UTC)
- Geni (talk) 04:13, 9 June 2023 (UTC)
- Johnbod (talk) 16:55, 10 June 2023 (UTC)
- ClemRutter (talk) 22:32, 10 June 2023 (UTC)
- Broichmore (talk) 11:15, 11 June 2023 (UTC)
May be attending
- Andrew D. (talk) 16:04, 22 May 2023 (UTC)
- Mccapra (talk) 05:48, 29 May 2023 (UTC)
- Leutha (talk) 05:24, 31 May 2023 (UTC)
- Rich Farmbrough 20:57 4 June 2023 (GMT).
Possibly Johnbod (talk) 03:05, 7 June 2023 (UTC)Coming now
- If I can get away. Philafrenzy (talk) 09:47, 8 June 2023 (UTC)
Interested but not attending
- Busy that day. Joseph2302 (talk) 07:55, 22 May 2023 (UTC)
- I've some reasos for going up to he smoke but an overwhelming lot for being elsewhere. It remains a last-minute offchance. -- DeirgeDel tac 11:16, 22 May 2023 (UTC)
- I'd love to be there, but I don't think I'm in London that day. Suntooooth (talk) 10:07, 27 May 2023 (UTC)
- I'll be in Yorkshire. Thryduulf (talk: meta · en.wp · wikidata) 10:16, 5 June 2023 (UTC)
- Cannot get down to London for this day, as much as I'd love to! -Asheiou (they/them • talk) 13:45, 5 June 2023 (UTC)
About the meetup
London meetups are generally casual social events where we...
- Drink coffee, beer, tea and some of us have Sunday brunch. Sunday roasts are no longer offered but they do a reasonable pizza now and have a range of other snacks and dishes.
- Welcome guests from around the world and other groups which meet there
- Chat about Wikimedia or any other topics
- Experienced Wikimedians help out new editors and share experiences about anything from copyright to editing tools.
You can expect to meet some very keen Wikimedians; however, this is also an open invite for anyone interested in finding out more about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects such as Wikimedia Commons, Wikiversity and WikiSource.
New and prospective editors are also very welcome.
The pub is quite quiet and family-friendly on a Sunday lunchtime, so younger Wikimedians will also feel welcome and safe. Alcohol consumption is not compulsory!
The pub has an accessible loo on the ground floor. There are some sections of the pub that are only accessible by steps, but we always meet in the main step free section, usually opposite the main doors.
Location: Penderel's Oak
It's easy to find us – we're usually the crowd with several laptops on the large tables straight ahead of you when you enter the pub. If not, then look for a tabletop Wikimedia UK banner and laptops with Wikipedia stickers on them. Wikimania Tshirts can also be a good clue.
||Chancery Lane||0.2 miles
The Penderel's Oak is between Holborn tube station and Chancery Lane tube station. Farringdon tube and Thameslink station and Temple tube station are not too far. The pub is also within walking distance of Waterloo railway station (1.3 miles; 2 km), St Pancras railway station (1.2 miles; 1.9 km) and Kings Cross.
Several bus routes also go directly to Holborn station; if travelling from Waterloo, it is quicker to travel by bus than by tube.
Bike hire (TfL scheme) is in Red Lion Street, just opposite the pub.
Visit the TfL Journey Planner for more information about your fastest route.
In the rare event of a kitchen closure or another problem at the Penderel's Oak, the meetup will be relocated to the Shakespeare's Head – another Wetherspoons pub located nearby. To get there from the Penderel's Oak, when exiting onto the street turn left, then when walking past Holborn tube station turn left again down Kingsway, and after a short walk the pub will be found on the left-hand side.